My friend and I stayed at this little hotel for a single night and absolutely loved it! The staff that we met was incredible friendly & helpful. The setting feels like someone’s private (and gorgeous!) residence, high up on a steep hill, with 5 little villas built around the property. It feels very quiet and secluded. I think we were in villa #5. There was no number on our villa... but one of the staff members mentioned #5 to us. The villa had a really cool outdoor bathroom w/fantastic tiled shower from which you can see the stars. We also shared an ocean-view patio with another villa (which was empty while we were there). The infinity pool overlooks the coastline/ocean and is spectacular! The place is super quiet throughout the day with the exception of sunset. And then all these people show up to hang out in the pool, have cocktails and enjoy the view. Pretty cool!
A couple of things that I would highlight for people looking to stay here...
1. The hotel is up a very steep, dirt road. If renting a car, I think you'd have to have 4wd to get up it. As one of our taxis (which was 4wd) even struggled. Not an issue for us since we did just take taxis… but something to consider if driving yourself.
2. Check-in... there really isn't one. It's very casual/laid-back. We made our way to the pool, found someone cleaning the area and he helped us get "checked-in." There was no real introduction to the place... you get your villa, villa key and that's about it. No worries at all... but if there's any issue after-hours... I'm not sure where you would go for help and there's no phones around the place. In fact, when returning to our villa after dinner the night we stayed there… we got back around 9pm and the place was completely empty and totally dark. So bring a flashlight! Also, there had been a really good rainfall a few hours earlier so that could be why it was so dark and empty.
3. Food... probably a good idea to bring some snacks, etc. because when you're up at the hotel, you don't want to leave (in part because it's beautiful up there and in part because it's not easy to get up/down the hill). We checked into this place after leaving our little beachfront hotel in Santa Theresa without having lunch as we thought we would enjoy lunch up at the infinity pool of this hotel. But once there... we found out that they only serve drinks and chips & guacamole in the afternoon. Again... not an issue... just be prepared. Luckily, we love gauc and we also had brought some almonds, etc. w/us. The do have breakfast and a bbq dinner buffet available though!
4. Checking out... make sure to check your bill. We were in a hurry leaving because we had a taxi waiting for us and it took a while to find someone to help check us out and pay (even at 10am). Anyhow, once in the cab... we realized that there was an error and we ended up paying for the room twice. Not a huge issue because after some emails and phone calls... it got resolved.
All in all... a really beautiful oasis with a super chill environment! I would definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vista de Olas is a refined hotel in Mal Pais perched on top of a peaceful hill. From this vantage point our guests are treated to sweeping views of Mal Pais and watch the most memorable sunsets. The hotel offers 6 sumptuous, secluded deluxe villas with ocean view, AC, open-sky bathroom, and private porch. Hotel amenities include fast WLAN, a luxurious infinity pool and jacuzzi, pool lounge, and the best BBQ restaurant in Mal Pais. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Vista de Olas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vista De Olas Mal Pais
- Hotel Vista De Olas Costa Rica/Mal Pais