“Awesome hotel with great people!”

Hotel Vista de Olas
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boise
“Awesome hotel with great people!”
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We just returned from Mal Pais after a nine day trip. We stayed at the Vista de Olas the whole time and loved it. The view, the staff and the accommodation were just what we were looking for in a get-away. The vibe at de Olas is laid back and easy. The sunsets are spectacular and the infinity pool is the perfect place to experience them while sitting at the pool edge or the bar. We were there just last week and yeah the roads were messed up. The rainy season just ended, a lot of the roads are dirt, and hey it's Costa Rica. That means a bit more effort is required to move around. But that effort is well rewarded for sure. We took the jungle ATV tour offered by the hotel and lead by Roger and staffed with his two boys. It was an amazing trip that took us into the jungle, diving into fresh water pools, included a visit to the butterfly farm and then lunch in Montezuma. We took advantage of the fishing excursion and my lovely Donna caught a sizable yellow fin tuna that fed us and the staff for a couple nights. The hotel can arrange any of these types of activities you are into. We stayed in Villa two which had an awesome view and was a great space to chill. The fact that the villa had air con was a plus at times to take the heat and humidity down for a bit. Screens on the windows kept any bugs that may have shown up out and enable you to hear the ocean all night. I've read other reviews about Villa 3 having the killer view, but we looked at all the other villas and they ALL have killer views. You can't go wrong there. Bottom line here is that the Vista de Olas is an amazing place to set your own pace for your vacation above the noise and dust of the main road and town.

Room Tip: All the rooms have killer views. You can't go wrong. Like I said we stayed in Villa 2 and it was...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My wife and I had planned to stay here two nights, but cut our stay short to one night after our experience. We moved to the nearby Moana Lodge which I highly recommend, and we both agree is far better, it was in a league of its own.

Here is my brief account of the succession of underwhelming events during our brief stay:

- drove up really steep road to find that the location is quite far from the ocean, great if the main thing you want to do is sit by the pool, but when I am staying on the coast I want to do more than just look at the ocean. They didn't have adequate parking, and also didn't have a sign out front which made us unsure that we were even in the right spot.
- upon checking in, found that they had mistakenly given the room that we had reserved to someone else, so we ended up in a different room, this took about 15 minutes to sort out.
- the room itself was musty/moldy. I think it must have had water leak into it at some point
- had dinner at their hotel, their arrangement is that they give you food at a price for what you would pay in a nice Costa Rican restaurant (e.g. $20 for some ribs), except that you cook it yourself. Maybe this is considered a novelty to some people, but I cook for myself all year round when I'm not on vacation so I don't consider it a plus to do this (and even less so when I am being charged as if it were being prepared for me). They gave no instruction on how to cook the meat, and even if they had it would have been useless since there were about 5 other people all trying to cook their food on the same barbeque so you could not keep track of how long your meat had been on with the lid closed. My wife had to put her filet mignon back 2 times to get it cooked adequately, and by that time my food was cold.
- to put the icing on the cake, at 3:30am we were awoken by people shouting and didn't even get a good sleep out of the deal.
- when I went to check out I found out there is an unadvertised 9% surcharge if you pay by credit card. I think hotels should advertise the credit card rate, and then give a discount for paying in cash.

There were a number of other smaller things that were not to my liking, but I'll end my account here.

On the plus side, the view was great and the owners and staff were very friendly in our personal interactions with them. However, I don't think this makes up for all of the other shortcomings of the experience. If I am paying $170 I expect a comfortable stay in a professionally run establishment, and my experience here met neither of these criteria.

The takeaway is: if you are coming to Malpais you should stay at the Moana Lodge since it costs less and is far better, but if you are intent on staying here you should avoid Villa 1 as it is very musty.

7 Thank ctcharle
DodgerMalPais, Owner at Hotel Vista de Olas, responded to this review, December 18, 2011
After reading this review i just needed to write back to it.
When this couple was staying here with us we just happened to of had the worst rain storm of the year a couple of days before. I think that is the reason for the misty part. Then the second thing that there was about the 3:30am awakening, yes we have a family of howler monkeys that once a week are right next to the villa where they where staying in. Sometimes they just go of in the middle of the night thats nature. Then the third thing was about the surchare if these people would of taken there time to go thru my webpage then they would of read about the 7% surcharge for credit cards and not 9% like they say. Also there never was any kind of question about paying with cash because we do give cash deals. The BBQ well thats something that most people just love if not there is a list of restaurants that are in town in the room. Well you know you just cant do it right for everybody.
New York
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My fiance and I ended our 2 week vacation with 3 nights at Vista de Olas-and it was a wonderful surprise since I depended on trip advisors reviews for this finding! This is what you are in for: the best bar/pool view in town, friendly staff who are willing to arrange activities and restaurant reservations for you-thank you Roger!, delicious fresh fruit happy hour drinks, a traditional and fresh Costa Rican breakfast with fruit, eggs, rice and beans, and it's all in a town of friendly people who are from all over the world but all on the same relaxed and laid back page. We took a day trip with the owner and his 2 sons on ATVs for 30k+ miles and visited a butterfly farm, jumped off a waterfall, and had lunch in a nearby neighborhood, Montezuma. That was one of our favorite days of our entire vacation! Roger arranged zip lining and surf lessons for us as well. The rooms are simple and clean, people were nice, food and drinks were tasty, and the view is absolutely worth checking out and experiencing the excellent service we received!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The views are incredible - but what sets Vista de Olas apart is the personal care given by the family who runs it all. We were picked up at the airport which was well worth it so we could get the lay of the land and get all kinds of questions answered on the way in. They source any need you might have like where to eat, renting atv's, horseback riding, zip line tours, etc... The owner took my wife and I on a personal atv tour which we highly recommend. Food at the hotel is great because they provide a hot bbq and salad bar - you take it from there. They'll even fix it for you if you're a little weary of the grill. There are only 5 villas at Vista de Olas so you're not surrounded by a bunch of people. The rooms are wonderful - very large in size and all have there own full outdoor bathroom. Security is a non-issue as you'll feel more than safe and surrounded by good people. If you want the perfect Costa Rican experience you can't go wrong with here.

Room Tip: We were in Villa #5
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We just returned from Malpais where we stayed at Vista de Olas for 5 nights. The property is amazing and the owner is really nice. He is very helpful and will organize anything you want to do. We found the setting to be totally perfect. The pictures are very close to how it actually is... only it is even better in person. The roads are rough, but if you're used to backroads in the US, it is no big deal.. Also, we felt that our kids were totally welcome and they loved it as well. This is truly a great place to stay, very laid back and BEAUTIFUL!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cheri C
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I was there with some friends a couple years ago...the place is super !! It is expensive but you will find: A Great villa, great room, great service.
Unfortunatelly we were there just for 3 nights...I wish we could have stayed longer.
A MUST place to stay in Costa Rica...however to get there is a mess....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Niebes
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This was the highlight of our honeymoon! the place and the views are to die for but what makes this place magical is the owners! They really make you feel at home and the food is amazing. Dont look any further

Room Tip: ask for the room with the best view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
#6 of 8 in Mal Pais
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort
#7 of 8 in Mal Pais

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!