Hotel Moana(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
$82
$73
$49
Hotel Vista de Olas(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
$110
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Oasis(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
$65
$63
Hotel The Place(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
$115
$112
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
$64
Vista Naranja Ocean View House(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
$59
Blue Jay Lodge(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
$49
$43
  • Breakfast included
Star Mountain Jungle Lodge(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
$85
All reviewsplunge poolour honeymooncatch of the daycosta ricaromance packagejose luisevery mealtortuga islandlikes and dislikeswalkie talkiesanta teresaincluded breakfast and dinneroctopusrental carpura vidarent an atvsteep hill
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We have been fortunate to travel to Costa Rica many times and stay at many places. Santa Teresa/Mal Pais is a long drive from anywhere but boast some beautiful beaches. I suggest if coming here stay at least 3 days to make it worth the drive. This is a surfer’s town and has some of the nicest accommodations in Costa Rica, among those is Casa Chameleon. Casa Chameleon lies in solitude only 5 minutes from town. From our deck we saw all kinds of wildlife and had several fun conversations with monkeys.
We stayed in the Ultra Luxury Villa and it was incredible. This Villa is large and only half (the bedroom) has A/C and it will not freeze you, but you will sleep comfortably. This Villa is located further from other Villas, Parking, and the restaurant and you will have to climb some steps. With that being said, you can open windows and doors and watch all kinds of wildlife and birds as you swim in your pool. It is quite simply “special”. I had a chance to look at other Villas and to be honest there is not a bad one. They are not as big but they are easier to get too, have a covered porch, a cold A/C, and they all have great views.
EAT HERE! Enough said; this is as good as it gets. Oscar and Ronald cook just for the guest of these 4 Villas and will gladly bring it to your room.
Jessica, at the front desk is lovely, attentive, professional and great just to sit with and have a conversation about Costa Ricans and their culture or shoot the breeze (she speaks excellent English).
To sum up, everything here is about as good as it gets and it is personal, not like a Four Seasons. While here I had a stomach bug and it’s a bad feeling to be in a foreign country sick. Oscar called his mother to get a recipe for my sickness and then sent someone to town to fetch the ingredients, he made it and brought it to my room that night, he also wanted to take me to the clinic himself the next day if I wasn’t better, All of this without my asking.
I will be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I felt we were in paradise at Casa Chameleon -- It was a perfect honeymoon getaway. We ditto much of the past reviews: ultra-nice villa, serene privacy, and exceptional meals and service (especially from Oscar). We travelled by foot and wound up walking the beach when we went into town, because the roads are unpaved (very dusty in the dry season). Our original plan was to rent bikes, but due to the dust we decided against it. The hill was an incredible workout! We would dive into the plunge pool as soon as we returned to our villa each day -- very refreshing!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We have literally just returned from our stay at Casa Chameleon, and I couldn't wait to sit down to write a review. This was the best vacation we have ever been on! We arrived to find everything just as it was pictured on the website. However, the website cannot capture the beauty and tranquility of it all. The grounds are amazing. The villas are beautiful and each have their own character and vibe. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary, and we asked some friends to join us on the trip. There were 6 of us, so we occupied 3 of the 4 villas. The hotel was pretty much ours. It was awesome!

As beautiful as the grounds and villas are, I have to say that what makes Casa Chameleon truly spectacular is the food and Rob and Oscar, who prepare it. We were lucky enough to eat 5 dinners at Casa Chameleon, and each one was simply amazing. Rob really was cooking just for us. Everything was fresh, exquisitely prepared, and beautifully presented. They were, hands down, 5 of the best meals we have ever eaten. Then every morning Oscar was there to prepare our breakfast to order. From a traditional Costa Rican gallo pinto to french toast and crepes, we looked forward to breakfast every morning. In addition to preparing our meals, Rob and Oscar are super, super friendly. They chatted with us each day and offered suggestions of things to do and places to go. By the time we left, we felt like we were leaving friends behind.

There is so much to do in Mal Pais and the surrounding areas. Every day was an adventure! We would have breakfast, head out on our quads for a planned excursion or exploration on our own, and not return until dinner time. Quads or a 4X4 are a MUST. Without them, it would be difficult to leave the resort. With them, you can go anywhere!

If you have the opportunity, you must stay at Casa Chameleon. It is a trek to get there, but it is SO worth it. Our week there flew by. We fell in love with Costa Rica and Casa Chameleon. We were not ready to leave, and we are already trying to figure out when we can visit again! Pura Vida!!!!!

Room Tip: All of the villas are great! We stayed in the Ultra Villa, which has a spectacular view, is the largest, and has the largest pool. However, only the bedroom portion of the villa is air-conditioned, so we did not use the kitchen/living area very much at all. When we return, we will stay in one of the smaller villas.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank argyleboymom
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My wife and I loved our relaxing, week-long stay at the Casa Chameleon in February 2011. The property is super-private, with only 4 villas (maximum of 8 adult guests). We stayed in the Villa Palma, which has a terrific balcony (and plunge pool) overlooking the jungle and ocean. The room was spacious, with a comfortabel bed and sitting area. The bathroom was hugh and includes a cool, stone shower with a floor-to-ceiling sliding door the opens up to the plunge pool and has the same great view as the balcony. The jungle sounds can be a little loud in the morning, but after a couple of days, you get used to the rhythm of Mal Pais, where people go to bed and get up early.

We got a package-deal, which included 5 days of meals, a 3-day rental car, and 2 activities of our choice. The food was AMAZING and FRESH. Nearly everything we ate -- breakfast, dinner, and dessert -- was either picked, caught, or baked that very same day. And we got to pick the menu! We used one of our activities to get a couples massage in our room at sunset, which was very relaxing.

This resort is also a great value, compared to similar-type places in the Caribbean and even compared to other upscale resorts north of Mal Pais. It was a truly unique and wonderful vacation experience that we will remember forever.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WashintonDCTraveler
Reviewed July 30, 2011

My husband and I have stayed here on several occasions now. I don't know why my reviews don't show up!? However, I'll try again. From our first visit we found Casa C. to be the most unique and exceptional little hotel we've ever come across. And we travel extensively!
The design by original owner Anthony and his wife Bobbie was profound! I had never seen such attention to detail and customer service. Especially given the true boutique setting. The villas are so well spaced and lushly private one feels they have the place to themself! It is great to see that the new owners have taken the original concept to heart and today even more details have been added. Nothing takes away from the nature and true escape of the entire property. In a world filled with boring run of the mill places to stay, Casa C. provides a unique escape. Luxurious while still keeping balance with nature. You know you're in Costa Rica. Otherwise, why travel so far? Casa C. is one of a kind and we'll keep coming back to refuel from our fast paced lives. Thank you all for continuing a magical tradition and great customer service! Above and beyond! And the food was spectacular Rob!
G. Klein