“Andy is a stellar guy”

Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Mal Pais
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Freedom Riding SUP Adventures was formed by Andy Seidensticker and his Costa Rican wife Edith. We started doing SUP lessons and tours five years ago in the fishing village of Mal Pais, taking clients all the basic fundamentals of SUP, and paddling clients into the Cabo Blanco Reserve. The business has grown quickly in the last couple years, and has now expanded into SUP rentals, clinics for all levels, and SUP adventure tours around the Nicoya Peninsula. We are passionate and true lovers of the sport of SUP and take teaching the sport very seriously. Edith competes on the Costa Rican National SUP Race Circuit, and has clinched the National Womens Champion two years in a row, in both long distance and short distance. Contact Freedom Riding if you would like to schedule a class, tour or rental for your next vacation.
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Did a paddle tour and and surf lesson with Andy and had a blast. He brought his gopro and got some awesome shots of my wife and I paddling. Just go its fun

There are newer reviews for Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Andy and Edi are awesome. They are both extremely accomplished paddleboarders and make beginners feel very relaxed. I had only paddleboarded once before and it was in calm waters, not in the ocean. My husband was also a beginner but he is much more at easy in the ocean than I am. Edi gave me lots of tips to get more relaxed on the board. My technique certainly improved over the 2 hours I was with them. When I had Paddleboarded my first time in the states, I didn't get a lesson at all, so this was perfect. Unfortunately, because the wind picked up and all of us in the group being beginners, we couldn't venture out to some of the beautiful places they would normally take their clients to. It ended up being more of a lesson than a tour. It was perfect for our skill level and it is wonderful how easily Andy was able to adapt and change his tour to be perfect for us. He was expecting to have his wife, Edi, split off so that the more experienced paddlers could explore further and the beginners could learn more. Although our group ended up being all beginners, so we stuck together and they made it fun for us. Now I'm hooked and I want to buy my own Paddleboard.

1  Thank StefaniLeo
Reviewed March 26, 2014

So glad I paddled with Freedom Riders last week while in Costa Rica. I got great tips and coaching and a paddle into a beautiful sunset. The conditions were rough, but I was in great hands with Edith! Thank you so much and hope to see you next year!

2  Thank Andrea D
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Andy and Edith run the finest SUP operation in Costa Rica, offering beginning, intermediate and advanced lessons and equipment for not only basic paddle boarding, but also SUP touring, racing and surfing.

Andy is an accomplished surfer and paddleboarder with a real passion for the sport, Mal Pais Costa Rica and his business. He along with his wife Edith, who not incidentally is the current national champion for Costa Rican women SUP, work as a team to provide a well thought out and high quality experience.

Expect a clean but small shop with many board options, friendly staff, reasonable pricing and no hassles. A few minutes away Andy practically has his own private beach in front of the fishing village at the end of the road, with calm protected waters for learning, and open ocean for exploring, with a sweet reef break what fires with remarkable consistency right there as well.

Best to email in advance to communicate the timing, skill level, and type of SUP experience you might be looking for, and my experience is that Andy will email back in a timely manner with comments and suggestions that will enhance your experience overall.

Enjoy and Pura Vida!

1  Thank Tim B
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Andy & Edith are great. My family and I were visiting my brother's house in Mal Pais (VRBO # 513636) and wanted to learn SUP. We went down to Freedom SUP signed up and it was terrific. I didn't want to come back. Andy and Edith's lesson was very informative and right on the money. After a short lesson we were on the water. It was so much fun I wanted to stay on the water all day. It was a great workout. I plan to buy a SUP in Austin, TX. Thanks Andy and Edith we will be back.

Marlon C