“Great experience!”

Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Mal Pais
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Freedom Riding SUP Adventures was formed by Andy Seidensticker and his Costa Rican wife Edith. We started doing SUP lessons and tours five years ago in the fishing village of Mal Pais, taking clients all the basic fundamentals of SUP, and paddling clients into the Cabo Blanco Reserve. The business has grown quickly in the last couple years, and has now expanded into SUP rentals, clinics for all levels, and SUP adventure tours around the Nicoya Peninsula. We are passionate and true lovers of the sport of SUP and take teaching the sport very seriously. Edith competes on the Costa Rican National SUP Race Circuit, and has clinched the National Womens Champion two years in a row, in both long distance and short distance. Contact Freedom Riding if you would like to schedule a class, tour or rental for your next vacation.
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Our canopy tour guide recommended Andy's Freedom Riding shop for SUP. We popped in and were told to come back at 4pm. There were two of us, one of which had never done paddle boarding before. Andy and Edith took us to the lagoon/ocean near their shop. Some quick instructions on land, and then we hit the water. It was such a great time! The sun started to go down after a while, and the views with the sunset was really beautiful! Andy was able to take some cool photos with his camera (small fee) and we ended up with some great pictures of a fantastic time. Would highly recommend.

All reviews
"at home"
"made us feel"
"within minutes"

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Mal pais is a great place to paddle board! The views of the coast line were great & Andy's instruction was helpful!
Wish I would of brought my water proof camera!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Freedom riding SUP is a full service paddle boarding shop/tour provider that will tailor your paddle boarding adventure to whatever your skills and desires are. We had a great time and would definitely go back again. The staff is very knowledgable about paddling, surfing, and Costa Rica in general. If you go, you will not regret it.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Having done some flatwater SUP here in the states I had the time of my life with Andy. Passionate is an understatement he has for his work...I understand. As we traveled further from the beach we became quick friends and fellow SUPers. He showed so many fun little helpful hints to keep me progressing forward in the unstable waters that included some currents and wind. Then low and behold I was in the waves. Watched him catch a wave and didn't follow but I did have to move thru the next set coming toward me. What a thrill. Yet without his skills and expert instruction I would have been chasing my board thru the break.
Thank you Andy!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I went paddle boarding with a group of about 10 people with Andy and his wife. We all had an incredible time. Andy gave us a great instruction prior to getting in the water which made getting in the water easy. One person in our group was a little scared of the water but Andy took great care of her - going out with at the beginning and making sure she felt comfortable. It was a little hard with 10 people due to different abilities and getting a little spread out but Andy did a great job controlling the group. My only regret was that I didn't get to see the turtles! If you are in Santa Teresa/Malpais I highly recommend taking a morning and trying paddle boarding.