“Awesome place”

Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Mal Pais
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Freedom Riding SUP Adventures was formed by Andy Seidensticker and his Costa Rican wife Edith. We started doing SUP lessons and tours five years ago in the fishing village of Mal Pais, taking clients all the basic fundamentals of SUP, and paddling clients into the Cabo Blanco Reserve. The business has grown quickly in the last couple years, and has now expanded into SUP rentals, clinics for all levels, and SUP adventure tours around the Nicoya Peninsula. We are passionate and true lovers of the sport of SUP and take teaching the sport very seriously. Edith competes on the Costa Rican National SUP Race Circuit, and has clinched the National Womens Champion two years in a row, in both long distance and short distance. Contact Freedom Riding if you would like to schedule a class, tour or rental for your next vacation.
Reviewed March 7, 2013

It's really great to have a place that specializes in SUP. Andy is extremely knowledgeable about both the area and the sport. He is professional and dedicated, and I highly recommend anyone wanting to SUP this area of Costa Rica to pop into the shop and meet Andy.

There are newer reviews for Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Andy isn't really into the short board renting business, but he totally accomodated me. He is full of knowledge and stoke... stop by for a visit and take a SUP tour with a person who is truly into what he does and has no ego or negative vibes.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked a tour with Freedom Riding Costa Rica outfitters. Andy and his wife, Edith offered personalized instruction. We had some experience with SUP in lakes, but not ocean while other members were new to the sport. They adapted their instruction based on experience and made sure everyone had fun.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Let me start by saying that although I grew up in Southern California, I have never surfed or paddle boarded, and I was very nervous about being out in the water so far away from the beach. But my fears were totally unfounded, Andy is an amazing teacher and he made me feel so comfortable. We spent about 20 minutes on the beach, during which time he went over the mechanics of the board, the paddle, and how I would use my body to power myself through the water. He is a lifelong surfer who has lived in Mal Pais for many years, and he couldn't be a nicer guy. It's a family affair, his wife and daughter help run the tiny little shop, and their dogs walk down to the beach and hang out in the sand, waiting for their owners.

After we paddled through the channel and got out into the open water, I was a little freaked out but he calmly talked me through everything and had me standing up in just a few minutes. All along he gave me great little tips to help me improve. When I got tired (and it is tiring!) we sat on our boards and took a little break, just chatting and looking back at the beautiful Cabo Blanco. Then as the sun was setting (amazing in and of itself), we stood up and paddled back in, and I didn't fall down once thanks to Andy's excellent instruction.

I honestly can't believe what a good time I had, I can't wait to do it again! I have never written a review for TripAdvisor before but felt compelled to after this awesome experience. Thanks Andy!

1  Thank Dennise_Lite
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Andy was the man, getting two out-of-shape, uncoordinated 40-somethings on their feet in no time. Patient, attentive, and just plain cool, Andy is THE guy to teach you SUP. He also helped us plan a trip to Montezuma, going above and beyond. Don't miss out on a chance to do this. Thanks to Andy, it is easier than you think.