Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Ranked #3 of 14 things to do in Mal Pais
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Freedom Riding SUP Adventures was formed by Andy Seidensticker and his Costa Rican wife Edith. We started doing SUP lessons and tours five years ago in the fishing village of Mal Pais, taking clients all the basic fundamentals of SUP, and paddling clients into the Cabo Blanco Reserve. The business has grown quickly in the last couple years, and has now expanded into SUP rentals, clinics for all levels, and SUP adventure tours around the Nicoya Peninsula. We are passionate and true lovers of the sport of SUP and take teaching the sport very seriously. Edith competes on the Costa Rican National SUP Race Circuit, and has clinched the National Womens Champion two years in a row, in both long distance and short distance. Contact Freedom Riding if you would like to schedule a class, tour or rental for your next vacation.
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Andy can make anyone feel comfortable at any age or level of experience who wants to try SUP, or use their longtime skills while in CR. I stayed until the sun went down my very first time! SUP truly allows for the beauty and nature of the lower peninsula to be experienced from a unique perspective, something I didn't realize until actually doing it.
I found his operation to be the "real Costa Rica", no shuffling of tourists or gimmicks to sell. The difference between this activity and others is, if I lived here it's something I'd do on a regular basis, not a one-time tour. Also, if you ask around about this area of the Pacific most people think you can only surf due to the waves, but the depth at which Andy knows this area and the breaks are his specialty. The tours he told me about to see more of the area by SUP, are one of the reasons I can't wait to get back!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Paddle boarding today stands out as one of my top three best moments in Costa Rica. Over the last ten years, my favorite spots on the Carribean coast and Osa blew my mind, and this is right up there. SUP is a beautiful sport accessible to all levels and family friendly. Freedom Riding offered professional, personalized instruction, and great equipment. You're in great hands. Not to be missed!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Freedom Riding in Mal Pais is your one stop shop for a fantastic afternoon. Andy (owner) has an incredible selection of paddleboards and surfboards for rent. His expertise is invaluable, and the customer service exceeded our expectations - he even valeted our boards down to the beach for us! Drive the extra couple kilometers from Santa Theresa and go for a paddle with Freedom Riding!

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I defently recommand this tour !! My friend and I did a SUP with Andy last January ! Thanks to Andy for this undescriptible experience! Everything is perfect : quick lesson on the beach to understand how to move with a paddle board. Safe tour : andy is an experience surfer and know exactly where he is moving. Very very beautiful : staring from de beach closed to the fishermen village, paddling until cabo blanco reserve along the coast, coming back until Mar Azul : thanks to mother nature to offer us this !!! All this in silence!!so perfect ! I defently recommand this tour early in the morning!!! woooo , thanks mister Andy !!

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Just spent a few hours in the water with Andy and got our first real waves on stand up paddle boards. We both had done a fair amount of flat water paddling and my wife had done mostly whitewater surfing, I'd say I'm an average surfer.

Andy showed us an awesome reef spot that was great to start catching waves on. Even when the waves are up there are plenty of flat water areas to paddle that are great for beginner paddle boarders. He's a great guide and has great local knowledge of the area.