“Best bakery in Santa Teresa -- and more!”
Review of The Bakery

The Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Mal Pais
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The best fresh baked cakes, bread, croisants, pastries, coffee and refreshing drinks! We are open all day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and any time in between. Fusion cuisine with fresh daily products and original flavours.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Fabulous selection of French-inspired pastries, with a nod to American cookies, brownies and world classic beignets/filled doughnuts...and did I mention cheesecake with tropical fruit toppings, carrot, marble, "perfect" and whole wheat bundt cakes...I could go on.

I actually went there for lunch, and had "Root" salad, comprised mainly of julienned carrots and beets, with walnuts, cranberries, herbs and a lime-vinaigrette dressing. Very chewy, and delicious.

They also serve a variety of breakfasts, salads, sandwiches, pasta and pizza.

Cons: The place is so popular it is often mobbed, and table service is correspondingly slow. I also couldn't get my iPhone to connect to their wifi...

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Come to Costa Rica, come to Mal Pais, come to the Bakery... You must stop by. Is the best place in town and out of town. All you can eat pizza after 6pm. Desserts are great

Reviewed December 30, 2012

expensive and just ok, its was in the main part of town and crowded. we took out some backed goods. not great. 4 dollars for a small piece of cake. more than the states.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We ate here one day because it was on the main drive and very convenient, and looked like just right place for lunch. We ended up loving it so much we made a point to come back and would have loved to come back again and again if we had more time in Malpaís. We had a sandwich called Frère Jacques or something like this .... it was SOOOOO good. Also, their House Ice Tea is also very refreshing and tasty.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

For a second, I thought I was in a cafe in San Francisco. They've managed to nail that whole americanized european cafe feel. The display case boasted all the typical pastries (croissants, fancy doughnuts, breads etc) and their coffee selection was plentiful. They even offered a couple gluten free desserts(chocolate cookie, almond cookie)! Their food menu had various categories like breakfast, paninis, croques(french grilled sandwiches). We got the bfast burrito and "healthy bfast", which included fresh mint tea, egg whites and wheat bread.

If I had frequented this place in SF or LA, I would just call this average. But in Santa Teresa, it's quite a novelty. I have mixed feelings about visiting a place like this when I'm far away from home (LA) and want an island escape. Maybe I'll feel differently tomorrow morning when I'm dying for a good old fashioned soy latte.