“The location, a dream, nestled in the forest near Cabo Blanco.”

Star Mountain Jungle Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Mal Pais B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 22, 2012

A truly great location if you want to be near a beautiful coast and yet apart from it in a jungle clad retreat. The owners, Andrew and Lisa, we're very friendly and interesting to talk to. There is a good walk through the forest and a beautiful garden with a small, but very nice, pool. The infrastructure in general perhaps needs a little 'gentrification' - a little facelift to bring it to life and a few of the appliances were suffering from rainy season blues (rust!). They serve an outstanding breakfast but for dinner you have to take the road into Malpais or Santa Theresa. The 2 kilometre track has a few bumps but is passable. The restaurant (Mary's) at the bottom of the road is outstanding if you like seafood and organic produce from their own farm. The lodge has a way access to the beaches and Cabo Blanco reserve and the owners are proactive in promoting the conservation of biodiversity in the area. This is a place to get away and immerse yourself in your surroundings.

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed December 5, 2011

The first time I went in 2005, and I revisited this year. I have stayed in many places and hotels in great locations, with great views or with luxury amenities, but Star Mountain is one of the unforgettable places in terms of getting the true jungle experience while lounging poolside. The rooms themselves are rustic, but the landscape between the different buildings is like a botanical garden with pretty much every possible type of haliconia and other beautiful plants. Star Mountain also seems to attract more wildlife than the nearby national park. You can sit in the dining area or anywhere on the property and howlers and white face monkeys make appearances almost every day. The resort has it's own jungle hiking trail which culminates in a platform that offers a fab view over miles of coastline. The beaches are a short and picturesque drive away. Star Mountain offers its own horse tours, which is a big plus for me. The owners and staff are very friendly and always helpful.
I highly recommend Star Mountain for those who want to have the essential Costa Rica nature experience.

Room Tip: Room 4 is probably the nicest room
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Star Mountain last March. (Yes, I am really slow in posting this.)

We liked the hotel. The grounds are beautiful. The rooms are rustic, but we expected that. The pool is lovely and the area is so blissfully quiet.

The inn's owners were away, so I can't comment on them. However, they left staff in their place who were nice, if a little discombobulated.

We did a horse tour with a gentleman whose name I cannot remember but also worked as a groundskeeper/handyman. My husband still talks about how much he enjoyed the tour.

Two points:

First, don't tell yourself you don't need a car or a quad. I was silly thinking my husband and I could walk everywhere or rent bikes. Star Mountain is way up on a hill and Santa Teresa/Mal Pais is pretty spread out. Get yourself a vehicle.

Second, be prepared for wildlife. Our first night, we kept on hearing loud banging noises. We had no idea what it was and it scared us to death. The next morning, someone let us know it was just the howler monkeys dropping stuff out of the trees. After that, we were much more relaxed. (And we felt pretty stupid...)

Overall, a great, rustic place to stay,

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2010

American owners Lisa and Andrew and their kind and capable crew made me and my nearly nine year-old son welcome and helped solve a couple of sticky issues that might have stymied others.

We had rented a "quad," four-wheeler, handy for getting up and down the steep dirt Cabuya Road, and asked that it be delivered. Through a mistake on my part that arrangement had fallen through, though the rental was to begin while we were on a zipline canopy tour. Lisa stepped in and solved it all, helping arrange transport to the canopy tour and managing the delivery of the quad.

After our wonderful stay, replete with swimming and delicious breakfasts, I goofed again and missed somehow that they only take cash. Andrew kindly and cheerfully agreed to take a check drawn on an Internet bank.

None of this even addresses the paradise that is the Lodge itself. Perched on a northwest facing hill the vista is open and the surrounding jungle full of wildlife.

As others have said, Star Mountain's proximity to Mary's Restaurant is a definite plus. My son and I had a quiet delicious meal there and would have had more, but they are closed on Wednesdays.

My own experience was crowned by a cool outdoor, moonlight shower next to the pool, surrounded by hibiscus flowers and palms.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2010

First things first - we LOVED Star Mountain Jungle Lodge! Perfect location for us since we wanted to be all over the southern part of the peninsula - from cabo blanco to montezuma to hermosa and everywhere along the way - Star is a quiet sanctuary tucked away on the road to cabuya. Unspoiled!
We had planned to split our time between Star Mountain and another hotel closer to the beach but ended up staying the whole time at the lodge because the main thoroughfare is a bit dusty. ok, a LOT dusty. plus there was an obnoxiously loud (anti-pura-vida IMHO) festival going on in the 'downtown' area.
Let's see....I LOVED the yummy breakfast served up in the open-air dining room every morning! Gobs of fresh cut fruits (pineapples, watermelons, papayas, mangoes, even STAR fruits!) - in big beautiful chunks - always there waiting for us - along with FRESH BAKED breads for toasting, cereal, yogurt,, granola, jams, honey, coffee...AND that was included in the $65/night!
The owners are cool and laid back - they live on the property - and always came around in the mornings to see what we had planned for the day and if we needed any suggestions etc...super nice!
The pool was GORGEOUS. An oasis in the late afternoon when it was just plain hot. AND. Just as nice at night - with the stars so close and so bright you could just put up a ladder to touch them....or it seems. Lots o' shooting stars! Surrounded by far-out foliage - it's cool to just sit and see what comes by - a hummingbird or else one of those brilliant blue butterflies...a morpheus?? I forget what they're called. And MONKEYS!! They are everywhere!
There's a hiking trail that starts basically right outside the rooms and that we did a few times - the view at the top is breathtaking (or did it just take all my breath to get there....) You can see forever and just to mention it - you can see the abode of a certain, rather notorious celebrity.... Yup, Star Mountain has its own resident movie star :)
We also did the horse tours - twice - one in the morning and one in the late afternoon for sunset. It was great to be on a horse - it's like going back in time, wandering through those hills and trails, crossing little streams...the sound of their hooves...sigh...and we got to ride along the beach - yes! dream come true!
Our room was simple, cozy, and best of all, CLEAN. Nice front porch area for chilling in the hammock or those funky rocking chairs, chatting up the neighbors over Imperials (the beer in Costa Rica) AND there was hot water in the shower. Stop. You had me at hammock.
So there you have it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2009

pretty rad spot for a couple or if you're travelling with a group as you could easily rent out the entire place.....

breakfast was simple but convenient....the pool was a great addition...being close to marys restaurant was great....
its rustic, but defintaly worth the money in my opinion....
the location isnt the best (on the old road to cabuya soooo...kinda far from the action) but it feels safer than most places along the main road in mal pais and area.....

its literally a safe haven in the middle of the jungle....

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I can only explain that riding horseback to the top of the resort mountain is amazing! The scenery, foliage and wild life are unlike any other place I have visited. The view of the Pacific Ocean from the top of Star Mountain is picture perfect. I'll be back again and again. And if you enjoy seafood, only 10 minutes down the mountain you will find a fresh seafood market with Tuna that melts in your mouth!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
#4 of 8 in Mal Pais
Hotel Vista de Olas
Hotel Vista de Olas
#1 of 8 in Mal Pais

Been to Star Mountain Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!