My 3 girlfriends and I stayed at this gem of a hotel in April 2012. First off, the photos on their website and Trip Advisor don’t really do it justice. From the moment we arrived, we knew we had made a great choice. It’s charming, comfortable, well located and carefully maintained. After seeing a variety of other hotels we could have stayed at in the area, we all agreed that Ritmo provided the best value without compromising on quality.
LOCATION: We decided to fly from San Jose to Tambor on Nature Air (beautiful view of the coast and islands, totally worth it by the way). We arranged a shuttle/SUV taxi through the hotel that took about 40 mins and cost $50 USD for 4 people. The hotel is about a 5 min walk to the beach and a 3 min walk to a variety of shops, restaurants, banks and pharmacy. We liked being close to the restaurants, bars and nightlife, but not smack in the middle of it. Apart from the howler monkeys, birds and occasional iguana on our roof, Ritmo was very quiet at night.
ACCOMMODATION: We stayed in bungalow #5, right in front of the oh-so-lovely pool. We were very pleased with our room. Simple, yet spacious and clean. We had a mini fridge, large ceiling fan and working AC wall unit, which was awesome on those 35+ degree days. The cleaning lady came once a day and was respectful of our things or requests for more towels.
RESTAURANTS: We were blown away by the food at Ritmo’s restaurant (again, steps away from our bungalow). A perfect spot to start the day off with some delicious CR coffee and breakfast. We also enjoyed several dinners here and loved their seafood dishes and pizza. We were also spoiled by amazing dinners we had at the other local restaurants like Vista de Olas and Pranamar.
STAFF & LOCALS: The hotel manager Jonathan took very good care of us during our stay. Anything we needed, whether it be restaurant recommendations, taxis or renting ATVs, he was happy to help. The other staff were very friendly as well. We also had the opportunity to meet a lot of great Costa Ricans and foreigners working in the area – everyone was very sweet and helpful.
BEACH: Great beach for long (safe) walks, boogey boarding, surfing (beginner or advanced, not so great for intermediate supposedly) and playing in the waves. We were super impressed about how few other people were on the beach and the lack of garbage and pesky vendors.
ACTIVITIES: Would totally recommend renting ATVs and driving to Montezuma. We did this on an overcast day and loved it.
Overall, we had a fantastic trip and Ritmo was the perfect home base for us. The worst part about this hotel was having to leave it. We’re already talking about planning another trip next year to Ritmo with a bigger group of couples.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Feel the beat of the nature on one acre tropical gardens. The chant of colorful birds, the sound of the night wild-life and the constant waves of the Pacific Ocean. Let Ritmo Tropical be your host to make your holidays the best you ever had. Come enjoy Costa Rica with us! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Ritmo Tropical reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritmo Tropical Hotel Mal Pais
- Hotel Ritmo Tropical Costa Rica/Mal Pais