Tripadvisor
Jaco
Open today: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
We had a great day!!!

We were a large group, everyone was different ages (small kids, teens and adults) and different... read more

Reviewed yesterday
O6864PWbrianm
Surfing Lessons, Beach, Food and Drink

Amazing beach day hosted by Romy, included umbrella and chairs, surf lessons from the TICO grand... read more

Reviewed yesterday
nickt2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Jaco
from $76.93
ATV Tour in Jaco
195 Reviews
from $53.71
from $91.29
from $139.00
More Info
All reviews these guys great instructor pura vida green water beach chairs cool guy riding waves private lesson boogie boards hour lesson two hours learn how jaco beach learning how first timers his wife an amazing experience
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Everything happens for a reason, and we're thankful that Engel engaged us as we were walking on the beach. We've always wanted to try to surf, but have been intimated. Within minutes of talking with Engel and Joshua, we knew these guys eat, sleep, drink surfing-- and it's a passion that they want to share with the world. If you are looking to stand up on the board for the first time, I would highly recommend these guys. If you've had poor surf lessons in the past; I would highly recommend considering these guys as your new surf gurus. After learning the fundamentals of how to position yourself on the board, they'll take you out into the water for a private lesson. My instructors were Engel and Joshua, and they are literally the best. Not only will you learn surfing, but you'll be embraced by the "Pura Vida" lifestyle and they'll treat you like friends. If you need any recommendations for local restaurants or things to do, they're the best people to ask.

TL:DR -- SURFING IS MUCH MORE FUN WHEN YOU'VE GOT AMAZING TEACHERS LIKE ENGEL AND JOSHUA. Their promise is that you will stand up on the board, and within minutes of hitting the water, we were standing on the board! The entire group (Mario, Nadam, Early, and I can't remember the rest) were so so so friendly. Every time we would walk by the beach they would wave at us, chat us up, and just enjoy our presence. More than just a school; these guys are locals that WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU. Go to them!

1  Thank Y2537RJhenryc
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked a three day lesson package with Erly and had lots of fun with our instructor Minor. He was really encouraging and great at working with both of us, my partner and I, who had different levels of experience going in. It was also a bonus that we had the same instructor on all three days so there was nice consistency each time. No time wasted, just lots of waves!!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I'm so happy I found Tico Surf Lessons, one of the best experiences I've had out of the country. The instructors are all friendly but I have to shout out to Jey who took his time and made sure I got the essentials on surfing. Erly the owner picked us up from our hotel right on time and the lessons began immediately. For someone who has never surfed before I had an amazing time and before I knew it I could catch a wave with a little guidance from Jey. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a intimate experience with learning vs a large class, from what I saw the ratio is 1 teacher to 1 student which is great because we all learn at a different pace. All the instructors seem to be locals who have been surfing their whole lives which makes me feel good about their understanding of the beach.

Reviewed January 18, 2020

I'm 16 and I came to Jaco with my mom for a week. I came here because I heard these were the best beaches for surfing. The first day of our trip, we came to the beach and right away Jay greeted us and took us to some chairs under an umbrella. Erly started the surf lesson by showing the group the correct technique out of the water. My instructor in the water was Minor. He taught me how to read the water and I stood up on 90% of the waves I rode. Minor is super friendly, funny, and welcoming to anyone in or out of the water. I liked him so much that I requested him for surf lessons for the rest of the week. I really enjoyed talking with Minor and the whole team to get to know them better too. I strongly recommend you go to Tico Surf Lessons if you want to learn how to ride the best waves! Thank you to the whole team for being so welcoming and for the best pictures! I'll be back soon :)

Reviewed January 17, 2020

Josue Diaz was our instructor and he was great! Very patient and very supportive. All of us got up on our boards...the most fun surfing yet!