“Unfriendly staff, dark rooms, way too expensive for what you get” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarita's Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Clarita's Beach Hotel
You added Clarita's Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
“Unfriendly staff, dark rooms, way too expensive for what you get”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

The back of the rooms is so dark you hardly can see. I dropped two souvenirs made of glass because it was to dark to see. The staff is really unfriendly and always seems to have no time for you, always in a rush. No pura vida. Finally, the place is very much overpriced. Because of these things, overall I didnt like it.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank ThorstenS4
da22, Owner at Clarita's Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
I am very sorry this reviewer found our staff to be unfriendly and with no Pura Vida. Be assured I'm on it! There is no excuse for being unfriendly to our guests. This review has been translated into Spanish and given to each of my employees with a note from me that says: "NO PURA VIDA, NO JOB".
I thank this reviewer for bringing this to my attention. While we have alot of fun with our guests at Claritas I will not tolerate any employee who is rude or unfriendly to people who spend their hard earned money expecting a great vacation and Clarita's Pura Vida. We will try harder! Gracias. Clarita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Newmarket, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

From the check in onwards we found the staff to be disinterested at best but mostly rude. The rooms are very dated but just passable. This is an ok hotel for backpacking or hosteling but don't expect a hotel of high quality if you're comparing to other hotels. Saying that, the food in the restaurant was excellent but I would not suggest taking any children near there at night as it is full of 'working girls' but if that is your thing you'll have a spectacular time. If you want a good party it would be great as It is lively but consequently very loud if you're trying to sleep. There are other hotels in the area that charge similar and are a little less basic. An interesting stay, right on the beach so you can't fault it for that but don't expect luxury and you won't be disappointed. I've given it a poor rating but maybe it just wasn't our cup of tea.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chunky_faery
da22, Owner at Clarita's Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
I am ashamed and sorry that this reviewer found our staff to be unfriendly and rude. Be assured I'm on it! While February was a busy month for us, there is absolutely no excuse for being rude to our guests. Claritas is the busiest bar and restaurant in Jaco because we insist on good, friendly service with a smile and a "Gracias" to our guests. This review has been translated into Spanish and given to each of my employees with a note from me that says: "NO PURA VIDA, NO JOB".
I thank this reviewer for bringing this to my attention. While we do have alot of fun with our guests at Claritas I will not tolerate any employee who is rude or unfriendly to people who spend their hard earned money expecting a great vacation and Clarita's Pura Vida. We will try harder! Gracias. Clarita
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

My travel partner bought my ticket for my bday and never showed. I went with VERY LITTLE $$ as he was paying for everything. After arriving in Jaco I was told by an American hotel owner to go to Clarita's. This was a number of years ago, but the cost was $20/night for non-air and $30/night for air. I chose the non-air (as $$ was tight), brought $300 for a 6 night trip!!! Had the time of my life at the hotel... The owner and staff were absolutally wonderful. The views were awesome and the rooms were VERY clean. Where else can you stay ON the beach for that cheap? The major chain hotel next door (OK Western) was $129 night. Would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank winger17
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

First trip to Jaco, CR and I'll be back! Clarita's is a fun and inexpensive hotel ON the beach. It is one of it's greatest assets, sand and surf, as you kick back and relax in this cool old surfing town. I traveled with a group that has been staying here for several years and their description of Clarita's was right on. The owners have worked hard to make the facility clean and comfortable. I was impressed with the rooms and the quality of food in the bar/restaurant. Several posts here have mentioned the "indifference" of the girls behind the bar/servers. I agree the staff could have been a little more accommodating. I understand the difference in culture and how difficult it must be to hire and train good people to the "American Standard". I've worked in the hospitality industry most of my life and know consistent customer service is one of the most difficult issues facing any property. I also understand that we Americans can be a little aggressive and demanding and feel since we're paying the bill we deserve a certain level of service. Kudos to Reni, Mesa, Allison, Dorothy and the rest of Clarita's staff for putting up with a bunch of "teenage boys" on spring break! Don't pass this one up!

Room Tip: Get a room with a/c.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Matt O
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Me and a pal hung out here for the superbowl and had an amazing time at this super chill beach bar and hotel.

Great drinks, pretty girls, and the best beach and sunset views. This is also very close to downtown Jaco's restaurants and nightlife.

I shall return!

• Stayed February 2012
Florence, Ala
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I stayed at clarita's in Jan. 2012. I was dismayed at the indifference and gruff atitude of the staff as a whole. This was my 4th trip to CR and I have come to expect more. The setup consists of the bartender acting as the reception desk, so she frequently seemed harried and ill. also, if there was any problem, she had to handle it herself. There seemed to be no support staff at all. I stayed 5 days and could not get my safe opened, which forced me to carry all my docs, cash ect. with me at all times. I asked everyday and was told "the man is coming", "I told the man" ect. I did not read the part about there being no shampoo/conditioner/ice bucket in the room. and none avail at the bar/reception desk. The mattress was good. but the frame so squeaky that turning over might wake you up! I couldn't believe the walls were so thin you could hear everything you neighbors were doing
(and I mean everything). I want to make something clear. I'm not a crybaby tourist that expects the hilton at motel six prices, I travel alone to CR to fish, ATV ride,Whitewater raft, Zipline and hike the volcano. I don't mind roughing it. I brought back a large bag of Spanish mackeral to eat and gave the rest to the staff and the total lackluster response of " Oh thanks" no smile no personality no nothing. Please don't be fooled by the video on the site! I came home from the Casino at 9pm on Fri and there was a senoir citizen Kareoke(?) party goin on at full volume and you could hear it til 2am. On Sat the bar was closed by midnight. I thought this was High season. Whatever response comes from my review, Know I have told things exactly as they happened this may have been a happenin place a one time but, unfortunately I say pass it by for a room close by almost the same money and not near the hassles and noise. WJB

Room Tip: there are several places closer in to town that offer clean rooms for good value(I checked) I am sho...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank joetraveller60
San Rafael de Escazu, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Our trips to Jaco usually involve renting a 2 or 3 bedroom condo but during a last-minute getaway I ended up staying at Clarita's for 1 night and the place was better than expected.

The room is not fancy, but it's clean, had a better than expected mattress, along with a mini-bar fridge, safety box and small tv.

For the price, $60/night (room with A/C is $20 a night more) I couldn't have been happier. I just needed a place to rest my head for a few hours after a long night at the bars and Clarita's was perfect.

Waking up and strolling to the beach front bar is nice and the area where Clarita's is located seems to be the cleaner side of Jaco Beach - so I'd say it's worth paying the $1 taxi to and from center of town than staying at a walking distance hotel in the middle of Jaco.

Overall, I wasn't at the hotel long but it suited its purpose and is definitely on my radar for any future visits when I need a basic accommodation for a night or two.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends