“Beachfront Relaxation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Clarita's Beach Hotel
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Jaco
Phoenix
“Beachfront Relaxation”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at Clarita's Nov. 12 - 19 and had a great time. The staff was very friendly and made me feel at home. I liked watching the NFL games on the flatscreen TV's while simultaneously being able to look out and enjoy the beauty of the beach. The rooms are older but have everything you need, safe/TV/fridge, and everything worked fine and the secuity staff is always keeping an eye on things so I didn't have any apprehensions about leaving things locked in my room. My fishing charter from Phoenix Sportfishing had pick-up/drop off service from the hotel, so super convenient. I rented a car while I was there, but you don't really need one if you just want to stay in Jaco. Other than a lot of rain in the evenings, it was a great visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
chicago
Reviewed November 26, 2011

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed our stay at Claritas. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They made us feel like part of the Clarita family. We were there for halloween weekend which was a blast. They helped us improvise costumes for the occassion.
Since it was our first trip to Central America we arrived concerned about security but found Claritas (and Jaco in general) to be very secure/safe and the locals to be very friendly to Americans.
Claritas is located on the north end of Jaco beach which is great if you are a beach person or surfer. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to town. We actually walked all over Jaco during the days and took cabs for $2 after dark. Our room had everything we needed, cold ac, hot water, cable tv and it was very clean. The rooms face the ocean and at night while sitting on the balcony we could hear the waves rolling in.
The restaurant and bar is full of character and characters. They had live entertainment, and food and drink specials everynight we were there. Most of the people in the restaurant/bar were from Costa Rica and all were genuinely warm. I would describe Claritas as a very comfortable and casual Beach Hotel with a fun Bar & Restaurant. I do rec. Claritas.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Just returned from 4 night stay at Claritas in Nov. 2011. It was a great find. They gave us 4 nights in an ac room overlooking the ocean for $210.00. The room was simple, clean and secure. Ac worked great, cable tv and room safe. The housemaids were very thorough and friendly. They let us borrow towels for our side trip to the beach. We parked our rented car in the secured parking lot for free and only used it once for a day trip to Manuel Antonio national park which is magnificent. We also enjoed the pool which is just off the ocean.
The bar and restaurant are the happening place in Jaco, especially for the local Costa Ricans. It is located right in front of the ocean and we sat and watched the surfers while enjoying some great food and $2.00 beers. My husband and I really enjoyed the live latin music which they had on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. After a few beers even my husband was trying the salsa for a first time.
A Tip: The restaurant waitresses are very friendly and helpful with tips on where else to go and what to see in Costa Rica so don't hesitate to ask them for ideas. They speak broken english but with a little patience on both sides we were able to communicate fine.
We definitely recommend Claritas to those who want to experience the local culture of Costa Rica and who are not high maintenance.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I flew to Jaco on a whim with no real plans. when I arrived in town my taxi driver suggested "Clarita's" for me to stay at. So I stayed there one night and didn't like it. If you are into drinking heavily, partying hard, being surrounded by prostitutes and don't care if your room is dingy and dark, this is your place. The rooms were pretty bad, picture a 1950's Atlantic City motel that's still operating today and has never been up dated! They were dark, dingy, moldy and the music from the bar was sometimes extremely loud. BUT, if you like to patronize prostitutes and have a room close by to do it in, then Clarita's is perfect. The food at the bar is okay and the prostitutes are in & around the bar from about 3 PM till closing.... Plus, it was way too expensive. They charged me $70.00 a night which I paid, for just one night as I was exhausted. In the morning I packed my bag & walked down the beach in search of better accommodations which I found by walking to and checking out every hotel along the water.

There is no front desk, the bartender is the receptionist...... Yuk!!!!

The pool is the size of my tub in my bathroom...... Yuk!!!!

Most of all, I didn't dare leave anything valuable in the room. I felt like they were waiting for me to leave so they could go through my stuff................ The place was veeeeery shady!!!

I ended up at "Flamboyant" which was perfect, absolutely perfect!!

Room Tip: For a better price "Flamboyant" was amazing. For $60 a night, Flamboyant's gated, safe...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Dan O
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2011

First of all, the reception staff for check in was difficult to get a hold of because of the lunch hour and they were all serving customers, they were unable to provide me with information I required about activities and about my stay.
My first room had an incessantly leaking toilet, which soaked my personal items and made the room smell of mildew -- this was fixed on 3 separate occasions and kept recurring. Finally the air conditioner broke in the room and was told that I would have to stay without air conditioning for the next 2 days. I refused, so finally after persistence I was granted a new room.
The following day, the air conditioner dumped dirt and water all over the bed an some of my belongings, and again I was moved to a third room. So every day I had to pack my things and move. In defence of the staff, she was friendly and tried to help to her ability and even gave me a free beer.
Lastly, the crowd was old single men, and were up at all hours soiling the pool with hookers and loud noises from sex.
The owner's were nice enough to refund me half of what I paid to compensate for this.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank switsquid
da22, Owner at Clarita's Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
CLARITA WELCOMES THE LONELY AND NOT SO LONELY: The reviewer above states that he or she stayed at Claritas in October '2010'. However, the review was written on September 19, '2011'...almost 1 year later. Because of the amount of time that has elapsed since his or her stay I don't have a recollection of the person and I cannot respond to the accuracy of the listed complaints. I can say we apologize for any inconvenience the reviewer may have experienced and at Claritas we are always trying to do better for our guest.
The reviewer is correct that Clarita is happy to have as her guests lonely and nonlonely old men and women (I'm one of those), as well as lonely and nonlonely midle aged men and women, and lonely and nonlonely young men and women. In other words, we don't descriminate.....we enjoy everyone's company! That's why we have beach volleyball everyday, Latina musica and dance every Thursday and Saturday nights (salsa, reggae, merengue), Karaoke on Friday nights, NFL satellite football on Sunday and Rock n Roll music on Sunday nights. You gotta see those lonely old men rush the volleyball net or shake their booties and Salsaaaaa! Gracias. Clarita
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Claritas offers a relaxing time. The bar is fun and the food is Great! The location is right on the beach and the town is all within walking distance. The rooms are comfortable. Would of liked the mold/mildew smell to be a little less, but with the humidity - that is just the way it is. The shower was clean and the hot water was terrific! I would definately go back.

Room Tip: 2nd floor offers the best view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Queens, NY
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My friends and I were here in the beginning of the month. It was our first time to Costa Rica. Clarita's is located North end of Jacó, 15 minute walk to center of town. But a cab ride is only 1000 col. Rooms are clean, water is always hot.  We stayed in rooms with AC, but the weather was not hot or humid so it wasn't use often. Walls are thin, so you can hear your neighbors conversations and other fun activities. Love the pool, it's open and airy, semi-private. I've check other hotels in the middle of town and their pools felt cramped and not intimate when you are with a gal friend.
The restaurant/bar on premise is convenient. However, staff at the restaurant are slow and inattentive. We sat at the table with empty beer bottles for over 20 minutes and finally we walked to the waitress and ordered more. Albeit, it was kind of busy and they were under staff.  Food was OK. I'm in no way bad mouthing Clarita's, I'm definitely coming back and staying at here again. Had a great time, especially with the owner and his friend. Do venture out and eat at local restaurants, like Taco Bar, best fish tacos in town. My friends loved the Chicken toco as well. Canopy was fun, it's a must. The beach sucks, not for swimming or sun bathing, only good for surfers. Costa Rica is very expensive compare to other countries like DR, from food, drinks and entertainment.

• Stayed August 2011