All reviewscosta rican breakfastoutside wallliquid soapbob marleypoolside roomblow dryergarden viewsurf lessonsfree wifiluxury resortloved this hotelplantainsshort staythird floorc unitcontinental breakfasthotels in costa rica
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Jaco beach is a tough place to get accommodations during Semana Santa (holy week -Easter holidays to North Americans) but we managed to get a room last-minute at Arenal Pacifico. We were pleasantly surprised by its location -right on the beach and at an ideal spot for those of us learning to surf. What you're getting here is basically a 2 star private resort with decent rooms, a good location and friendly staff. The food in their kitchen was ok and it was nice to have everything in one spot, from surfboard rentals to food, a clean pool and walk out to the beach. It has good security to boot as well as parking and some resident wildlife (iguanas, lots of birds and even chickens!).

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DJKham
Reviewed March 19, 2010

The hotel was pretty good, not great. It is right on the beach which is the best feature. The rooms were standard. Our door didn't seal properly and we got bugs in the room. The AC worked well. The beds were decent. The staff was very helpful. The food was decent, but the portions were small (for an American). Breakfast was average. It only included fruit, bread, and ceral. Anything else was extra. I felt nickle and dimed at this hotel. It is also a $2 taxi ride to town. This location made it affordable for me to stay on the beach, but it was annoying having to pay $4 for the round trip into town. The beach was wonderful. I didn't research any other hotel, the travel agent booked this one for me. So I don't know if I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2010

The hotel is a shadow of its apparent former greatness. The grounds are very nice and well kept and the beach is nice as well. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was a different story. I bed was badly outdated. There was a sign posted in the bathroom requesting that NO toilet paper be put in the toilet. The bed was uncomfortable. The TV was poor. I will not return.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I travelled with a mid forties buddie with no pre-conceptions or expectations. We were directed towards this hotel after checking out several others, simply because we had the time. Our room was clean, but early eighties in decor, etc. No biggie, we didn't spend much time there and for twenty bucks a night we could have upgraded to an ocean view room. Great location, it's only a two buck taxi ride downtown, or a short walk, and Hugo the manager is the best hotel manager we met in Costa Rica. Give him a pay rise, he deserves it!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We were a bit cautious, having stayed at sume lett than awesome hotels in Costa Rica. I traveled with my wife and two teenagers.

This hotel was clean. Our room was lovely, with plenty of space for the four of us. It was impeccibly clean. The staff -- from the manager to the housekeeping staff -- was exceedingly competent, friendly, and helpful. Our room was right next to the pool. The pool was great -- clean and a bit warm. It is right on the beach. All you need to do is go through the security gate and you're on the beach, which was clean and lovely. The water was warm, which was great since we're from Colorado.

In case you are worried about safety, they have guards at night at the front gate and the beach gate.

The restaurant serves an adequate continental breakfast in the morning, and no dinner. The lunches were surprisingly good; better then most Costa Rican restaurants.

The town of Jaco is a bit crazy, so it was nice being a mile or so away. the walk is not very scenic, but it was nice for my wife and me to take that walk once or twice each day to go to the supermarket.

All in all, we loved this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family