“Exceeded my Expectations”

Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
Orange County, CA
“Exceeded my Expectations”
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I had my wedding reception at Doce Lunas. The experience exceeded my expectations. From the beginning, Brian at Doce Lunas, replied to all of our emails quickly unlike some other Costa Rican hotels so that we could make the necessary arrangements with the church, florist, photographers, cake decorator, and other vendors. His staff really made an effort to make sure that all of the guests were taken care of. We rented out the entire hotel (all 20 rooms) for the wedding and it was a special experience having my closest friends and family members on the vacation of a lifetime. Brian helped coordinate the perfect room for each guest. Everyone said that it was the best wedding they've ever been to.

The reception was beautiful. Doce Lunas was recently remodeled in the past 9-10 years and I was impressed with the quality of rooms and grounds. I felt like we were tucked away in the jungle in our own world. Brian has organized many wedding before and had all the necessary contacts/vendors to make the reception run smoothly. The food, music, cake, service, and pool were all great. Almost everyone ended up in the pool with their suit and tie on by the end of the night. Chris, the owner, even kept the bar open past hours for us to catch up with each other and enjoy a few drinks.

The one and only thing that I would change is that the hotel is a short taxi drive to the beach. If I had it my way, I would love to stay at the beach, but Brian and his staff made up for that. It was very easy getting around without a rental car. Many of my family and friends are surfers, and we took a taxi to Playa Hermosa almost everyday to surf. It's no more than 10 minutes driving. The other hotels that some of my guests stayed at, even on the beach, didn't compare to Doce Lunas.

All in all, it was a dream vacation/wedding and all of my guests are already planning a reunion trip.

I would recommend a destination wedding at Doce Lunas to anyone interested.

• Stayed January 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
maryland
Reviewed January 29, 2010

usually when I travel I'm on the go, and my lodging is just a place to sleep at the end of a long day of adventure. This is the first time in CR that I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel after a good hard surf session. It was just so relaxing and comfortable. The room was huge, and with the french doors wide open it was still private. We were right by the pool, and even with a couple kids running around, the place has a way of staying quiet and peaceful, all day, with muted voices covered by sounds of nature every where. The grounds are laid out as to invite you to walk around and explore with out feeling like your intruding. It was amazing. you could tell that the place was built specifically to embrace the surrounding beauty. But what stands out in my memory is the genuine hospitality we constantly enjoyed. with in a couple of days it felt like a big extended family. From the owner to the guests to the staff, We all shared the pura vida vibe. I was given a personal surf board to use until I found a rental that suited me. We had breakfast with our Yoga instructors. The packed sandwiches for early morning surf. I mentioned that my favorite gin was Tangueray, the next evening there was a nice green bottle greeting me at the bar. If you get a little home sick for your pet, they'll loan you a friendly (clean) cat to hop up in your lap and purr while you relax and enjoy the last of your evening. After a few meals out on the town we realized there was no sense leaving Doce Lunas. My wife is a vegetarian this was no problem for the pros in the emaculent kitchen. On a slow weeknight the chef would come out to the table and chat about how our day went, then he would just ask what are hungry for? no menu needed. Another bonus is the very knowledgeable staff. They know the area, they have Costa Rica dialed. Just ask, whether it's music, food, surf, sights, fishing. They will steer you clear of the tourist traps and point you to the real deal, and thats important if your out to get the true flavor of CR. When it was time for us to travel south, a few phone calls to a personal friend, and Brian had a room waiting for us at our next destination. My opinion is that beauty is everywhere in Costa Rica, and it's hard to find an unfriendly person. What makes Doce Lunas a place that I will definitely return to is the whole crew going above and beyond what I would consider the norm to make my stay there an amazing experience.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
ManagerofDoceLunas, Manager at DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2010
Wow ! What a great review. I've got to go to that place!

No, wait, I am already there. But seriously, I am glad you enjoyed our hospitality, and thanks a lot for the epic review!
maryland
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I stayed at Doce lunas while on vacation. I spent one week and did not want to leave.
The service was excellent and the food was also good. The staff went out of their way to make me feel at home. My trip was fabulous.

I was so pleased with the service that I got, I went ahead and planned my daughter's wedding there. Everyone who attended the wedding was pleased and had a wonderful experience at Doce lunas.

I will go back again.

Janice

Stayed May 2009
ManagerofDoceLunas, Owner at DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2010
Thanks a lot Janice! We had a lot of fun hosting your daughter's wedding. It was an honor to be chosen, and your family and friends are a great group to have around. I hope we see you soon.
Maryland
Reviewed January 22, 2010

The staff is OUTSTANDING!!! Everyone from the house keeping service, Isaac at the front desk and his brother Daniel and Andres who worked the bar. Even Wander , the busboy, was lovely too. Don't know who the ladies were in the kitchen but wow, Typico for breakfast rocks my boat any day of the week. And that's what I ate every morning there. Christmas eve, the chef was off so the GM made us all an absolutely delicious seafood dinner.
My arrival to Costa Rica was 3 days delayed and the hotel took care of all the details of airport pick up ease. We were walking distance from downtown Jaco and an easy drive to two different national parks. Also, I cannot tell you how nice it was to return home with a suitcase of CLEAN CLOTHES!!! The rates for laundry were so reasonable.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great review! I am glad you liked th tipico breakfast, especially since that is my recipe for gallo pinto. Sometimes its the simple things in life, you know? But you have to do them just right. Like washing your guests clothing without jacking up the price. Thanks for noticing!
Washington DC
Reviewed January 21, 2010

The facilities at Doce Lunas were perfect for our needs. We missed our connecting flight and had to e-mail the hotel from the airport to change our pick up time. They did it and sent a confirmation immediately. We arrived in San Jose and our driver was waiting. We arrived at the hotel at midnight. Check in was seamless. The walkways to our room and throughout the hotel grounds are lined with beautiful flowers and fruit trees. The room was spacious, clean and quiet. The next morning we went to the restaurant and had a fantastic Tico breakfast and strong Costa Rican coffee. I am not a breakfast fan but it was so good that I had it every morning of our 5 day stay. The staff were fluent in English and Spanish and were so patient in explaining the area, suggesting restaurants to visit, interesting activities, what to do, what to pay for things and what to avoid. The chef was off on Christmas Eve and the manager prepared a fantastic meal for us so we did not have to leave the grounds. We could walk to town which we did on a few occassions or take a cab. The airline lost my luggage for 3 days. The front desk called several times a day for me to track it down and have it delivered. The spa and studio were closed for Christmas but the manager opened it for us so we could workout. The yoga studio was beautiful. My family loved the staff, the atmosphere, the rooms, the food and the pool, which is fantastic . If you want a safe, comfortable, relaxing environment to retreat to after a long day, this is the place. I look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank PJOR
Thanks for the great review, and thanks for spending Christmas with us. I had a fun time cooking. Raul's grandfather grows and roasts that coffee. You can pick up a bag next time you come down. What are you waiting for, Christmas?
Maryland
Reviewed January 18, 2010

We checked in at 6 pm in the evening and the check in process went smoothly. The front desk gave us the pool towels to use at the pool and told us that we MUST PUT THE SIGN OUTSIDE OUR DOOR TO RECEIVE CLEANING SERVICES or else the staff assumes that you want privacy. We got the deluxe room with two queen beds and a separate bath. The rooms were clean and big enough. Our kids loved the pool and spent a lot of time in it. There were not a lot of other guests at the time that we stayed there but I think that Jaco was experiencing a slow time (due to the economy?) This may have worked in our favor as we got the room at a rate of $140 per night.
Continental breakfast was included but was simple fare of fruits, toast and drink (coffee or OJ). This is not the same breakfast as what you would expect in the United States. Our daughter ordered the american breakfast of eggs, bacon and home fries at a cost of 3000 Colones ($6). We thought it was an OK deal.
As for the rest of the property, we had read reviews earlier that there were cats on the property and bugs in the pool. Both of those things were true but any outdoor pool is liable to get bugs in it. We never thought that they was an excessive amounts of either of those things on the property. We also read other reviews that the way into the property seemed unsafe. It seemed fine to us. We waved at the locals sitting outside their house and they all waved back. Its true that the road in is not impressive as the hotel itself but we didn't mind it at all.
Finally, this place was about a mile from the beach so you really need a car to get to it. We picked this place with that in mind because in our previous experience the sound of the crashing waves every night (for six night) is just annoying. So the bottom line is that this was a good place for a family with two kids (7 and 10), with decent rooms and beautiful surroundings. But remember about the room cleaning service YOU NEED TO PUT THE SIGN OUTSIDE TO RECEIVE SERVICE.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Thanks for the great review, and thanks for sticking up for our neighborhood. I only saw one, but there is a reviewer that denigrates our fine neighbors. This is not Rodeo Drive, but our neighbors are good working people who take pride in their simple homes.

You note a couple times our policy of assuming that our guests would prefer privacy unless they specify they want someone to come in to clean, which was established based on the owners personal travel preferences.

Do you think it would be better for us to follow the more standard policy that housekeeping staff will knock on a door unless its marked do not disturb?

Thanks for you compliments and feedback!

Brian
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Outstanding property, hillside, well manicured with special touches such as rare orchids and a variety of vegetation including edible fruits and the most colorful array of plants and animals. Eco-friendly doesn't sufficiently describe the closeness to nature you experience at Docelunas. The room I stayed in was equipped with top of the line music stereo, local artwork, ergonomical bed, couch style living room area, coffee maker, refrigerator, office area with Wi Fi access... and what seems to be impossible to find in Costa Rica: the desireable bath tub. Friendly, educated service whom cater to any request or special needs. In addition the food is outstanding! I highly recommend this sanctuary.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Thanks for the great review! I am glad you enjoyed our special touches. The bath is probably the hardest to come by. We have our own double filtered spring water while most others use municipal water, which doesnt look quite right in a tub.