New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa

DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
San Diego, California
“5 Nights was far too short of a stay!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had such an amazing time at Docelunas two years ago we had to come back again for my birthday. Unfortunately it was a shorter trip this time, (as there wasn't a zero at the end of my age this birthday) But we still had an amazing time. We can't say enough about Docelunas the grounds are amazing the food is incredible and the manager Brian was the most helpful person during our trip, he set up all of our activities, tours, cabs into town, restaurant and club recommendations . Every recommendation he gave us was spot on thank you Brian we look forward to staying with you guys again next time!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Well we went with one of the biggest rooms. room number 19 to be specific. We need a king bed . It...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have traveled to many places and stayed in many hotels and this one is by far the worst I've been to in way of customer service and cleanliness. We are frequent travelers and have several hotel memberships. When we arrived into our hotel room, at first it looked decent, but then we noticed roach on the bed and eggs on the bedspread. The room also smelled like it had been sprayed with pesticide.

We thought well ok, this does happen and felt we could stay the night. Then I saw some other bugs including a spider, my lady said that's enough. The bed stand lamp was broken as well and the TV channels were of poor quality. The odor of the room was getting to us and we decided to leave. This was later that evening and there was no one working at the front desk (past 9 PM). There were Security guys there though which was a plus. We're accustomed to at least someone being at the front desk though in case of need. The Security guys barely spoke English.

The next day we came back and spoke with Brian the Manager. When we tried to explain what happened, he became very angry and would not listen at all. He acted very insulted by our comments. We were not being irate about the issues, just trying to explain so he could know what to do to prevent this from happening again to other guests. He wouldn't let us finish and was hostile to the fact the we brought up the bug situation. We had to calm ourselves down (my blood pressure was rising) and we were stunned by his behavior. I have never in 20+ years of traveling been so insulted by a Hotel Manager. If I was the owner, I would seriously consider firing him. Very unprofessional.

He did settle with us on the no charge for the stay and we paid for the dinner which was good (to their credit). The outside areas and pool was nice, also to their credit.

Again though, we will never return and would highly recommend finding another hotel in the area. We did find one that was outstanding.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
7 Thank gman5558
solana beach ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I just returned from 4 nights at Docelunas. My experience was incredible and we received the best personal service from co-owner Brian Sam. I traveled with my 88yr old father and his wheelchair and my Aunt. Due to my dad's limited mobility we required special trip planning. From the minute I emailed Brian, he called me and set up a trip that would fit our needs. The room and grounds were beautiful and perfect for the wheelchair. He picked us up late at night at the airport and then drove us around for the next 4 days! We were able to relax and truly feel like we were on vacation. The rooms were spacious and fit 3 beds comfortable. The pool water was so clean and the drinking water was delicious. Each night we ate the freshest fish, salad and fruit at the open air restaurant. We had special dietary restrictions and they were easily able to accommodate. The hotel even hosts the local kids for a Halloween party and we joined in the fun. A cluster of butterflys surrounded our room each morning. On our trip we saw Crocs, birds, monkeys, licking toads, cutting ants , sloughs, etc. Also, we took great yoga classes in their studio on property. The staff was kind and helpful. But the best was Brian's personal attention to detail and his high level of quality service and professionalism. He even woke up at 530am to drive us to see the Turtle hatching in Jaco. I am looking forward to returning.....

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am a return guest at Doce Lunas and the reasons are that it has everything that I need and still delights.
Jaco is fun to visit and shop, go to the beach, see attractions but the best base is five minutes from the town center at Doce Lunas where you have the stunning grounds and amazing pool.
The rooms are big and the bathrooms clean and spacious.
The restaurant busts out great meals and I really feel like I am in a tropical paradise.
Love the place.
Oh, they have a cool yoga studio too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Larisa K
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I just spent the night at the DoceLunas near Jaco. What a delight to stay here! The grounds are beautiful, serene and relaxing. When we got here they upgraded us to a larger suite with a king bed. The room is spacious and very comfortable!
Even though we were one of two guests staying here, they kept the restaurant open for us. The food was amazing. The staff here are very courteous and go out of their way to assist you. The owner Brian came over and introduced himself and was very gracious in talking to us about the area.
We will stay here again. Try it. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank rmacnab
Unionville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Doce Lunas was recommended to me by my nephew who has lived in Jaco the past two summers. He said of all the hotels in the area, Doce Lunas has the friendliest staff, most lush courtyard and the best restaurant and bar. His advice was spot on. I stayed four nights at Doce Lunas. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The location is safe, secure and convenient. One morning I walked to the beach, but cab service is excellent in Jaco with vehicles arriving just five minutes after being called. The staff went overboard to welcome me, providing the best service I have ever experienced at a hotel. I highly recommend Doce Lunas to anyone staying in Jaco.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Godfrey60
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

A tropical haven that is undeniably the BEST hotel and grounds with amazing staff. The rooms and bathrooms are huge. You can sleep so well, nature watch and Jaco is a cheap taxi ride away. About five minutes...I keep coming back because it always delights.

• Stayed September 2013