“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
Port Alberni, Canada
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Overall, my husband and I enjoyed our 3 night stay here. We had room 17 well situated about half way between the pool and the restaurant. The room was spacious with a nice patio overlooking the gardens. It was, however, a little tired and lacked general maintenance (eg. electrical outlets hanging out of wall). The shower was very good with ample hot water and pressure.The staff were very friendly and helpful. Nice pool.
We arrived about 9:30 pm when the only staff on duty was the security man who spoke no English. It would have been helpful to have an information sheet for us upon arrival (eg. When reception staff would be available, breakfast times, site map).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Doce Lunas was so wonderful that I can't say enough good things about my stay there. As other reviewers have noted, it's just on the edge of Jaco, which means great access to almost anything you could want to do. When you're on the grounds though, it feels like you could be miles deep in the middle of nowhere.

I was there with some fiends and coworkers in August, so we had the place pretty much to ourselves. The rainy season kept us in the restaurant for a good chunk of our stay and I'd be doing both the hotel and readers a disservice if I didn't mention how sublime the food is. I truly didn't expect that when we flew down. I'm a vegetarian and the staff went out of their way to make sure that I was happy.

To the staff and management at Doce Lunas: Thanks for a great stay...see you again sooner than later I hope!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I should start by saying that neither my husband nor I are huge fans of Jaco. But we needed someplace that wasn't too far from the San Jose airport. So my husband found DoceLunas and we thought we'd give it a go. The hotel was great. We're still not huge fans of Jaco.

What I loved about DoceLunas is that it's just on the outskirts of town. We felt like we had our own little piece of paradise. It's not on the beach. But it's verdant, lush and the pool is beautiful. You can hear birds all day. And we even saw a snake (boa constrictor) at night in the parking lot. Not going to lie, that actually freaked me out. But what can you do? You're in Costa Rica.

The hotel is also within walking distance to town. It took us maybe 10 minutes to walk to Jaco. Or just a quick cab ride.

The food was great. We ate there for most meals. My husband had a steak with coffee sauce there that he still talks about. And apart from one server who wasn't overly friendly, everyone at the restaurant was great. We really enjoyed chatting with our servers. They were always coming by to see if we needed anything. The front desk was incredibly helpful as well.

Our room was beautiful and had an amazing patio. It was the first room along the walkway. It seems another reviewer had the same room because I remember the comments about the odd painting of the lady over the bed. I chuckled when I saw it. It's definitely a bizarre picture. We had a lot of space - sitting area, big bathroom and desk area. Maybe a tad dated, though. AC was really nice.

If we ever find ourselves in Jaco again, it will be our go to hotel. And I have no problems recommending it highly.

northern california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We traveled to the docelunas in February of 2012..we were really looking forward to our stay..but as said in other reviews the place was pretty much empty.the electricity in our bathroom didn't work and I mentioned it to management several times to no avail. The bar was a joke ..the people were friendly but it didn't make up for the fact the place is just not what they lead you to believe

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Columbia, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the docelunas for 4 nights, the last two nights we were in Jaco there was not room for us there and one of the managers even found room for us at another local hotel.

The food and drinks were very good. We had a car so it not being right on the beach was not an issue--there is no hotel on the beach we would have rather stayed at because it is a bit of a party town. Regardless it is only a $3 taxi ride to town and the beach.

The hotel booked us some really fun excursions like Tortuga Island and otherwise accommodated us in every way possible.

The staff is very personable and fun and care for their guests.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Docelunas is an excellent hotel. They have a great staff and they treat you like a friend. I have been to this hotel many times over the past few years and I never want to leave. The rooms are spacious with ceiling fans and AC if you want it. The property is beautiful and tranquil, once you settle in and start to appreciate your surroundings you will notice a large variety of tropical plants which produce many scents and fragrances. The town and beach are very close and cabs are cheap, 5 bucks will get you and your friends there and back. The food is excellent, especially lately with the recently hired chef. During my stay I mentioned to the staff that I will be partying and I may not be back to the hotel until 5:30 am, and I need to have my breakfast served later than normal, and when I went to the restaurant the next day they made me an excellent breakfast with Costa Rican coffee. ¡Que Rico!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We should have known from the moment we arrived. There was no cars in the parking lot. We were greeted at the front desk & taken to our room. The A/C wasn't working, couldn't get the fridge to work, the safe had jammed & the room was suffocated with cheap air freshener. The smell was so over powering we left the door open while we were in the room (hard to sleep when your sinuses are stuffed up from the strong spray)We decided to take a swim in the pool only to find a scorpion in it. We tried to have a shower to wash off the chlorine but there was no hot water at all.... None, not even lukewarm. After 5 trips to the front desk we were completely exhausted of explaining our problems to the front end staff as they didn't seem too interested. We attempted to have breakfast at the deserted restaurant. The day before we were informed we could eat there at 5:30 AM but only to find the staff open it at 7:00 AM. Once we sat down & ordered service took quite some time. We were told that "breakfast is included" only to find out it was one option of the many on the menu. We thought we would splurge & order a more substantial one as we would be traveling all day. Unreal, the food eventually came out & it was stone cold (the entire plate). We noticed the table beside us asked for tea & they had run out? At that point we had enough... We left the inedible food & left the hotel. Completely disappointed! The hotel was understaffed, void of management & worthy of a hostel price not the price of a high end hotel. I would hope they would take this review as a sign to improve their overall service.

3 Thank mjlade