WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante

Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
Miami, Florida
“Good value, comfortable rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I found Poseidon to be a very comfortable place to stay. I arrived without a reservation and was warmly greeted by the staff who went out of the way to answer questions and make sure I was comfortable. I was able to negotiate a good off season rate. The rooms were spacious, clean, and nicely decorated. This is not a five star resort, but more of a cozy boutique hotel. They had TV, minibar, a coffee machine, and comfortable beds in the room. My AC was working but it was quite inadequate for the hot and humid climate of Jaco. The free wifi was dependable and fast. I didn't try the restaurant for lunch/dinner or hop in the unappealing pool. I would classify my travel in CR as budget traveling (i've been staying at low end hotels, not hostels), and would consider my time in Poseidon as a very nice upgrade in quality for a similar price. I would definitely stay here again. Negatives --- AC not strong enough, my toilet isn't flushing right now (getting it checked out), and horrible unrelenting rain (okay, that's probably not the hotel's fault).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

This was my second time to Jaco and first time staying at the Poseidon. I have to say it was a great experience!

Room (#8):
Great design. It actually had some character compared to the last two hotels I stayed in which consisted of a bed and a tv with drab colors and a kind of bareness to it. At Poseidon the rooms were inviting. A/C worked great along with the ceiling fan. WI/FI worked great in the room and was complimentary if I remember correctly. Stocked mini bar. Shower had hot water and a good shower head on it. Room had a nice balcony on it.

Location:

Location was great for either walking a few meters to the beach, or walking around the corner to the strip where you find all the restaurants, bars, and shops. Across the strip you can find Mauricio running his surf shop who can hook you up with some surf lessons or a board. Very nice guy with a good group of guys helping run the shop. There is also a private parking lot across the street that charges $6 a day and they lock the gates at night from 10p-6am.

Cons: The only con I can think of was that our room was located above the restaurant/lobby and below the Sky Bar, and at times you can hear music or the movement of tables and chairs. I'm a pretty deep sleeper so it didn't bother me any, but it could get annoying for those who sleep lightly. But I'm sure you can request to get a room in a different area; we just happened to take the only/last available room (Jaco was packed that weekend for Holy week).

Food:
The continental Breakfast included was great! I just added a side of eggs to it for some protein and was good to go. Can't comment on lunch/dinner as we did not eat there during those times.

Also worth mentioning is that the owner helped me to try and locate some pants I had left up on my checkout. I realized I had forgotten them somewhere when I left so sent an e-mail to which I received a response that they were looking and would keep an eye out for me. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will turn up.

In conclusion, great place to stay and more than likely will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

I just got back from a lovely stay at the Poseidon. This hotel is a great home base when visiting Jaco. It is close to the beach, all of the best bars, shopping, and tour companies. The Restaurant and the Sky bar serve great food and the wait staff are fantastic. From the moment we checked in, we were met by friendly faces. Tim is a gracious host and welcomed us to the property personally. Gabriel at the front desk had us checked in within minutes. Gabriella, Shirley, and Veronica were very attentive to our group in the restaurant and even waited on us in the pool. Marco was a fun night time bartender in the restaurant and created an upbeat atmosphere. Lastly Hanna in the Sky Bar is as talented as a bartender as she is beautiful. The one thing I will take away from our trip are the friendships we made with not only fellow guests, yet also with the wonderful employees at the Poseiden.

As for the property… It is well Kept. We saw all the employees pitching in on cleaning duties and even saw several employees working on a new flower pit out front. The pool is very nice and there are several areas to lounge away the day if you decide to take a day off from the tours. There is Wi-Fi access and two Internet Kiosks to stay in touch with the outside world. The food in the restaurant is top notch and even if you are not staying at the Poseidon, I would highly recommend visiting for Breakfast -> Dinner.

The rooms are very nice and well kept. The AC works great, the beds were comfortable and the linnens beautiful. Each day we were met with towel swans and immaculate rooms. The cabnets are of a nice wood with ample room to stow ans secure all of your belongings. Each room has a table for dining in. I took a tour of several high-end properties and the showers at the Poseidon are every bit as big as we saw at multi-million dollar properties. There was plenty of hot water and good pressure.

While there, the majority of guests we met were repeat customers and I cannot wait until I go back as one as well.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Mountain View, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

We held our wedding at Villa Caletas and had our guests stay at the Poseidon. We also held our rehearsal dinner at the Poseidon. We were mostly happy with the choice, the restaurant and pool area are perfect for socializing and the hotel has a cozy feel to it. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Breakfast is superb and is included with the rooms. The rooms also have air conditioning and free wifi, plus there are internet terminals in the lobby.

The areas for improvement are mostly around price and accommodating group events...we had a few plumbing problems and on the day of our wedding they ran out of water for showers because all of our guests were getting ready at the same time. Also, while the food at the restaurant was excellent, the catered food for our rehearsal dinner was disappointing in comparison. Overall, the Poseidon has a nice local and family run feel but for $100/night in Costa Rica, I would expect the rooms to be nicer and reliable plumbing. This is not a hotel for luxury travelers.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

The Poseidon is owned by a husband-wife team from Colorado who pursued their dream of starting a new life in Costa Rica. This is a great small boutique hotel with a pretty pool (swim-up bar!) and attached restaurant which has fantastic food. We also became very fond of Marco, the bartender. Great, friendly staff at this place. And we also talked with owner Tim a few times. He can be seen around the place working and helping the staff.

Things I loved:
- Food
- Pool
- Clean room
- Big shower
- Staff
- Central location (easy to walk around downtown Jaco from hotel; also short short walk to beach - you can see it from the restaurant).

Things that could improve:
- Just the rooms themselves, which felt very cheap and basic. Small and cramped. With an update on the rooms, this place would be perfect. That said, we slept really well in them!

Ultimately, Poseidon is a great price for a great location and easy access to one of the best restaurants in town.

Traverse City, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

Hotel Poseidon was centrally located in downtown Jaco, just one block from the beach and in the heart of all the action. Supposedly the restaurant there is very good, but after paying 12 dollars for a shot of tequila at the bar, we decided not to eat there. The complimentary breakfast every morning was a nice selection of fruit and a bread basket. The staff was not overly helpful or friendly and the rooms cleanliness was questionable. There were some stains on our sheets and the bath mat was visibly dirty. Also, the shower didn't drain very well, so there was always a puddle. It was nice that there was a/c and a safe in the room.

Haarlem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

Great located hotel, nicely decorated rooms. A little small, but very clean. We had some noise from the upstairs bar, but that was not too bad. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Restaurant is good!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple