Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante
Hotel Club del Mar(Jaco)(Great Value!)
$143
$136
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $155/night.

Hotel Mar de Luz(Jaco)(Great Value!)
$91
Monte Carlo Condominium(Jaco)(Great Value!)
$188
$168
Copacabana Hotel & Suites(Jaco)(Great Value!)
$143
$111
$70
  • Beachfront
Hotel Pumilio(Jaco)(Great Value!)
$125
$122
Hotel Mango Mar(Jaco)(Great Value!)
$130
$88
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club(Jaco)(Great Value!)
$146
$365
Croc's Resort & Casino(Jaco)(Great Value!)
$310
$274
Hotels.com
All reviewstunathe ownercosta ricajaco beachmiddle of towncentral locationthe entire staffbar next doorhot watercentral jacorice and beansthe main stripticosnightlifepartying
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Two friend had told me that they recommended The Poseidon. I had to go to Jacob on business so my sister and I reserved a room there. When we walked into rm. #4 the smell of mold was bad. But what was worse was when we pulled back the bed spread and the black mold that was on the material of the box spring was really bad. The best thing about the room was the shower. Lots of hot water and good pressure. It was the only place in the room that was clear. Even the walls in the bedroom were dirty. The room did have a phone and a small refrigerator and we were told it had wifi but was only able to access it for about 30 seconds out on the patio/corridor. There is an air conditioner above the door to the room. On the A/C unit the adjustment panel cover was broken and hanging down so when you try to close the door the cover stops you, you have to reach up and try to push it out of the way to close the door. I am 5'10" and i had trouble reaching it.
I spoke with the friends that recommended it and one had only been to a banquet there and the other had stayed there 3 yrs ago. Something has changed, i don't know if ownership has changed or the owner is away but whatever reason I hope they can get their act together. The food in the restaurant is rated very highly but with the condition of the room we were afraid to eat there. We are not knocking the restaurant just the hotel section. Unfortunately they won't get our business again. I hope the owner reads these comments an takes notice to get the property back to where it once was.

Room Tip: Don't stay in #4. Bad, bad, bad.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CatSamaraCostaRica
PoseidonOwner, Owner at Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

1st of thanks for your review. 2nd Sorry you were so disappointed. 3rd Yes, this is the same ownersdhip for the last 11 years and yes we still live in Jaco and work in the hotel almost every day. We actually began re-painting all rooms the following Monday after your stay. We had to skip re-painting rooms last year, as there was no money. We have re-painted every year since we arrived until last year. We have already re-painted 4 of the 5 rooms downstairs, wihch includes the room you described. Maybe we have lived here too long, but your description is quite harsh, especially not eating in the restaurant based on it. Finally, we will have all 14 rooms painted and matresses bought where needed by December 19th. We are also re-tiling stairs, some walk ways and other general improvements.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Poseidon Restaurante was recommended to us by an ex-pat we met and he suggested we make a point to try the food here. We did and we were delighted with the quality and auantity of the lunch servings. We ordered the comidas, I had the carne(beef) and my friend ordered the pollo (chicken) comida. Very good dishes and lots of it, fresh and quite tasty. We sat close the grill and was entertained by the local cooks as she prepared the dishes. The price was rather reasonable and the beer was cold. The rooms were noisy at night because of a very loud disco bar until about 2 a.m., which is just below the hotel's main floors.

Room Tip: A great place for a typical local cuisine. Rooms can be noisy due to the bar scene late night
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2012

... if you know Jaco, this isn't saying much. After a long delay in leaving San Jose, a friend and I decided to stay overnight in Jaco, knowing there were lots of hotels there, rather than try to travel the Costanera at night. We booked the "Hotel Poseidon" via an "opaque" hotel site, which labelled it a 3-star hotel. I'm not sure which galaxy they live in, but whatever it is, they must have different stars. Maybe it's not a "dive" by Costa Rican standards, but I don't think this would qualify as even a 2* hotel by U.S. standards.

First, the door lock was a simple knob-lock, where you push in and turn a button on the knob -- hardly secure at all. And there were gouges out of the door around the latch, signs of perhaps several prior break-in attempts 9and probably successes). A cabinet door fell off in my hand when I opened it. The in-room safe didn't lock unless the latch was loosened. The bathroom light switch was cracked -- although the light it controlled didn't work anyway. And there was no bathroom ventilation, fan, or able-to-be-opened window. While we were sitting in the room at night, around 10:30 or so, our door was opened with a key -- fortunately I'd chained it -- by some guy claiming that he thought the water was running in our bathroom.

On the plus side, the hotel had a simple but ample and nice continental breakfast, and we heard good things about its restaurant (but we did not try there any meal other than the breakfast). And it had air conditioning.

This hotel looks like it has potential for charm, but it's not there yet. I'm really puzzled by all the positive reviews!

Room Tip: Don't take a room (#7 or #[6 or 8]) on the stairway up to the rooftop sports bar.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Tucked in midway on Calle Bohio is a treasure. Nice atmosphere and great food. A local of Jaco this is a true gem. Very consistent all the time all year round. Very people and dog friendly. Nice hotel close to everything. Nice family atmosphere also. Great daily specials. Free parking across the street when you get your ticket stamped in at the restaurante. Upstairs is the Sky Lounge. If you are a lover of watching sports this is the place. A/C and all the channels. Worth stopping by if you are not staying there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week and had a great time. We were apartment hunting and so the central location of this place was awesome since we were doing a ton of walking. The rooms were clean and the air conditioning was great. I loved the big shower in our room too. The openess of the entire hotel I thought was unique. Did I mention its literally up the street from the beach? The restaurant was very good for the prices. Free coffee in the morning for breakfast is definitely a plus, but the waitress never brought us our fruit? Maybe I was confused but I thought it was complimentary? I must say that the waitresses were our only issue. They charged us full price for our drinks until my husband and I figured out it was happy hour and mentioned it, then they started charging us correctly. Not nice to rip people off, girls! :) My husband and I ended up moving to this town, but have not been back because of those rude bar tricks, and because they ripped us off ;)

Room Tip: Get a room on the bottom floor to avoid stairs, no elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple