“Exceeded expecations”

Ranked #4 of 30 Jaco B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Exceeded expecations”
Reviewed November 19, 2009

This is more a Bed and Breakfast (and dinner) than a surf camp and it is BEAUTIFUL. The rooms are great - very clean, and pretty. The staff is more like family. It's safe. I was picked up at the airport, taken to the room, fed twice a day and has surfing lessons from a world renouned sufer.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Jerseymary

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Irving, TX
Reviewed September 11, 2009

This is my second time to stay at Vista Guapa. Went this time during the "Green" season and rain was definitely not a problem. It rained twice late at night, otherwise it was hot and a mix of sun and clouds. Got way more sun than I actually needed. Wanted to say thanks to Alvaro and Durby for helping me to become a better surfer and helping me in the water. Thanks!!!
If you are a good surfer this place is great. If you have never surfed before, this is the place for you.
Lots of people commented on the walk into town. A cab is 3 dollars, don't walk.
I'll be back soon to tackle Hermosa again. Pura Vida!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
CO
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I just got back from a week and there is a lot of downtime. You surf 1x a day for a couple hours and then you are on your own. You need to walk into town (2 miles) or take a cab to do anything. The place is nice and very clean and most the staff is friendly. I would not recommend this place to intermediate or advanced surfers. They only have mass produced epoxy boards starting at 8.5ft and some short board 5.5ft that will work if you are advanced and unders 130lbs. You will need to go into town to rent a board or bring your own.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed April 10, 2009

My boyfriend and I were taking a week and were looking to both relax and unwind, while doing something active. Neither of us had surfed or mountain biked before, but consider ourselves athletic individuals. We were really, really pleased with our week. Alberto and Durby took us out each day, and due to the relatively empty week, most days we got private instruction! We both picked it up fairly immediately and had a fabulous time all week. Alvaro took us mountain biking a few times and it was certainly not for the faint of heart! In fact, I'm an avid runner and the steep hills were really a cardio challenge but the views were just incredible. The food is spectacular and there was nothing like getting back from the beach (most of our lessons were early, 6-8am) and coming home to an extraordinarily fresh, hearty, and delicious breakfast. And the staff were very gracious when my empty pit boyfriend would ask more helpings. The trip to Manuel Antonio was great, and we found Edwin to be so informative and friendly to us all week. We would be driving somewhere and he pull over to show us some gem of a flower, or the special plants where coconut oil is harvested and let us touch the husks. He went above and beyond day after day. He also made it his mission to improve me spanish throughout the week and was very patient and encouraging as a tutor. We took advantage of the bikes and went to the beach for sunset HH's and spent lots of time at the pool. It was relaxing and hanging out on our porch overlooking the ocean was just what we needed. The rooms were clean and the level of detail and beauty they put into their grounds is just awesome. We have recommended Vista Guapa to everyone we know and plan to return. Our only disappointment was that there weren't more folks there at the same time, we had the camp to ourselves most of the week. But they can't help that!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I stumbled upon Vista Guapa during my trip to Costa Rica in December, and it has literally changed my life. Although I did not stay at the camp the first time, Alvaro and his crew taught me how to surf and lit a passion that is never going to die. The second time (5 weeks later) I stayed at the camp and it is wonderful. It is away from the main street and offers a very relaxing environment. With only 6 rooms, it is never crowded and you get a lot of privacy should you want to. On the other hand, there is a very friendly atmosphere among the fellow guests and staff so if you love getting to know new people from different walks of life - this is the place!

The instructors, Alvaro (the owner and 7 time Costa Rican champion), Alberto and Durby have become friends as well as mentors, and have taught me so much, not just about surfing. You spend a significant amount of time hanging out in the water and they are really fun company but also make you feel safe and taken care of! In addition, as previous reviewer mentioned, these guys are awesome surfers and the envy of many (including myself)

I would recommend having a rental car, as there are many hidden gems to explore when not surfing and the camp is a 20 minute walk from the main town. As one reviewer mentioned, surfing only takes place 2 hours a day (this is because it has to be high tide, otherwise it gets very shallow and you can hurt yourself pretty bad) but it does drain a lot of energy. However, if you have some left, there are mountain bikes at the camp and both Alvaro and Durby are keen cyclists. There is also a self practice yoga space with a beautiful view of the ocean.

Breakfast and dinner is included, and you are taken by one of the instructors to dinner at a different place every night. Although included, you can also skip the group dinner and head out on your own if you fancy.

If you want to learn how to surf while taking in the beauty of Costa Rica, this is the place to go...and don't forget to order the banana pancakes for breakfast!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank spedjers
Toronto Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2009

It is all true and more !!! I just returned from 8 days @ the Vista Guapa Surf Camp and had the most amazing time. First of all the people are what make VIsta Guapa simply the best. Everyone from the grounds crew, to your cleaning lady, to the surfing instructors and the driver who picks you up at the airport are what make the stay here simply unforgettable. And rest assured the guests staying at the surf camp are all super cool. Shout Outs to Jen & Sung(My Moral Support), Anna & Bob, Andy & Heather.

The grounds are immaculate, the rooms spotless, and the views amazing. I was a first time surfer who is now hooked on the sport. The instructors make it so easy to learn and they ensure everyone has fun. My first 2 lessons were challenging but something clicked on the third time out. From then on I had a hard time sleeping because I just could not wait to get back in the water. I also had the pleasure of going mountain biking with Durby and Alvaro. I am a casual mountain biker in Canada but these guys can push even the most experienced bikers to challenge themselves I am sure.

I was a little leary of staying in Jaco but the camp is actually just off the main strip enough to enjoy the tranquility but also just a short walk to the town center for lunch or if you want to party.

As good as all the reviews are they still do not do it justice. Vitsa Guapa Surf Camp is something you need to experience for yourself

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Abita Springs, Louisiana
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Weather you want to find the best surf in Costa Rica to push your abilities or start from scratch, this is the surf camp for you. If you want to find a quite place where everything is taken care of, and you don't want to surf.......this is the place too. A full service B&B plus.....plus surfing instruction, plus a beautiful view (Vista Guapa), plus friendly staff, plus close proximity to one of the coolest surf towns in Costa Rica, plus everyone goes out to dinner......all that is included....you can't beat it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple