“STOKE Overdrive at Vista Guapa Surf Camp”

Vista Guapa Surf Camp
Ranked #4 of 30 Jaco B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“STOKE Overdrive at Vista Guapa Surf Camp”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Giving the gift of Pura Vida is the essence at Vista Guapa Surf Camp. The simple accommodations, yet perfectly comfortable, the delicious and beautifully served (with love) home-cooked food, the local restaurants at dinner, the professional AND insightful instructors (Alvaro, Carlos, Josymar, Titi), and the overall ALOHA spirit that oozes at Vista Guapa Surf Camp over-exceeded my expectations. In the lobby there a board showing the week's schedule according to tides/conditions. It's very organized yet feels relaxed. One day while ready to go out to surf and truck loaded up, a deluge encompassed the compound. We all just sat around, watched, chatted, and relaxed. To my surprise there was no disappointed 'spirit' in the air. Everything just really seems to fall into place at Vista Guapa. Alvaro and Wendy truly know how to host their guests. I'm accustomed to 'luxe' accommodations but I will say, somehow, this will be one of my most memorable 5 days. My SUPSurf skills improved daily and was able to regular surf one day for the first time. I look at the pics now, and realize how challenged I was in a very safe and subtle way. Alvaro...you rock!

Room Tip: Rooms are all about the same up on a hill. The hike up is a def WARM UP!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My friends and I are from Florida where nice waves are hard to come by so, we decided we needed a SUP-surf vacation. We were pleasantly surprised when we found Vista Guapa. It had everything we were looking for . It's proximity to San Jose airport is a huge plus (about 1hr 20 min away). It gave us an opportunity to disconnect from the world and concentrate on learning a new aspect in SUPing. I personally have always done flat water stand-up paddle boarding (SUP) so, this was a new and exciting challenge for me. Alvaro has a wealth of knowledge and is an excellent coach. He is very patient with his students and can identify everyone's different learning styles. He helped me get over my fear of waves and got hooked on SUP-surfing. The food is excellent. I can't wait to go back. This is an excellent place for anyone that wants to learn how to SUP-surf or surf. Pura Vida!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Vista Guapa Surf Camp was one of the best experiences I have had in the past ten years. The bugalow's are situated on the hillside with beautiful views of the water, I spent countless hours in the hammock on my porch reading. Every morning Wendy made an amazing breakfast for me (TY Wendy). The surfing was awesome. I was a first time surfer and Alvara was extremely patient with me. Also there is a nice pool to relax in after you surf. In the evenings one of the staff took us to local restaurant with good food and drink. Alvara even took me one day to a beautiful bay to paddle board....another great time. I was definately treated like extended family.

Overall an excellent experience, I will go back some day! Thanks for everything!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I absolutely loved it here. You're treated like you are part of the family. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we all had a great time. If you are looking to party, and get wild, this is not the place. If, however, you are looking to have an extraordinary experience, learn to surf, paddle board, or improve your skills tremendously, this is it. I met people I'll never forget, I will go again, of that I'm sure. Food is fantastic, rooms spotless, they got it perfect.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted to get away from the snow, and we heard good things about Costa Rica from friends and family who have been. We knew we wanted to surf, but didn't know if we should travel around the country and rent boards + get lessons, or stay in one place. We found Vista Guapa online and had a good feeling about it based on the pictures/videos on their website, and the reviews here.

We had such a great time at VG. They were accommodating for all skills levels and they know how to teach. We were catching waves our first day! Highly recommend this place for beginners and advanced surfers. They know the best beaches to take you to.

Everyone who works at the camp makes you feel like you're part of the family. And the breakfast at the camp is delicious.. I can't stop thinking about the rancheros sauce. They also know the best places to eat in downtown Jaco which was helpful.

This is a good place to travel to on your own, with friends, with your family, or as a couple. I hope to go back again soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois, United States
Reviewed January 10, 2013

When my family decided to take a vacation we originally planned on going skiing but decided it might be nice to go somewhere warm. The kids were coming with us and everyone enjoys being active. We wanted something challenging. Having always wanted to learn to surf, this seemed like a wonderful adventure. We were not disappointed. Despite being 48 and never surfed Alvero and his great crew of helpers (Hi Josy!) made sure I had no problem catching waves. It was AMAZING! I could get addicted to surfing if I lived near this beach. Wow!

In addition to learning to surf, the Vista Guapa Surf Camp is a great place for many reasons... It's off the beaten path so you can enjoy peace, good security and quiet. Waking up and looking out to the ocean hearing the waves crashing and the macaws flying overhead was breathtaking. The cabins are oriented to take maximum advantage of the scenery. Alvaro and Wendy Solano, the care takers, made my family feel like their family. We had the place to ourselves over Christmas. The rooms are spacious and open. Each morning breakfast is made fresh each by Geradina who did a great job interpreting my awful Spanish :-). The camp and it's relaxed pace allow for a the opportunity to reset your inner compass and work on improving yourself. The yoga deck and pool are especially nice places to relax. I spent hours between surfing just reading and relaxing. I enjoyed being unplugged. I appreciated the authenticity of the experience. It's not the kind of place if you expect waiters walking around with boat drinks. We try hard to avoid the high end resort experience. At VG you you have access to the the town yet enjoy beauty and quiet and peace. The surfing and paddle boarding is challenging enough to keep you feeling fit. I was treated more like family from out of town than as a guests of a hotel. Wow. Don't expect to walk out the door and be at the beach its a bit of a hike (about 2/3 of a mile) but cabs are cheap and readily available. We enjoyed the seclusion. Vista Guapa provides a level of service that places on the beach don't have to. It was much more than a pleasant vacation, we fell in love with the Solanos and their extended family who helped make the vacation great (Edwin, Josymar, and Dennis). It's a big world with a lot to do, however, given the experience we had this is a place we hope to someday come back to see our dear friends in Costa Rica again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rob F
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2012

For the first time I travelled alone. I wanted to do something just for myself and was looking for a new sporty adventure. I decided to give surfing in Costa Rica a try. I did a lot of research and finally decided to spent a week at Vista Guapa! The other reviews here helped in making my decision, which was the best I could’ve made.
Alvaro and Wendy picked me up from the airport and already on the way they've introduced me to the beauty and nature of Costa Rica.
I arrived at the camp and I was welcomed by the dogs guiding me all the way up the hill to my bungalow.... The view is amazing especially in the morning when the sun is rising. The rooms have a good size and has always been very clean.
The best part of my week was surfing with Alvaro....THE surfing champion...and an amazing surfing (and life) teacher. We started on land and Alvaro showed me how to pop up on the board and the best surfing position. I've practiced a few times and then it was time to give it a try in the lovely warm waters of Jaco beach. I was a little nervous but mainly excited... Right.... Here I am trying to paddle out through the breaking waves...Alvaro right behind me helping me to get through...."Paddle! Paddle hard..!" This is the hardest part of everything! "You can sit up now !" Phew... I made it.... And then it was about time to catch my very first wave...
"Don't look down, bend your knees and arch your back! RELAX and trust the board!" Ok, I'm ready.... "Here we go....start paddling!" And then Alvaro gave me that push and all I could hear was him "up, up, up...!" I popped up and was riding my very first wave.... What an amazing feeling.... I must have had the biggest smile on my face! This was the start of my new addiction....!
Alvaro, Wendy and the whole Vista Guapa team have been great. They make your stay as pleasant as possible, they organize day trips, excursions and basically everything you want.
Living in New York and having a busy and hectic lifestyle, Vista Guapa was exactly the grounding I needed....great food at a local restaurants (best ceviche), early morning surf lessons followed by an absolute amazing breakfast.... Walks on the beach, stand up paddling, watching amazing sunsets, soaking in the beauty of Costa Rica....Pura Vida!!!! I will be back soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo