“Great Jaco Beach Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
Stanhope
“Great Jaco Beach Hotel”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Nice location, right on end of beach not too close to town but close enough to walk (or a $2 cab ride). Staff was great (not all spoke English but they made great efforts to assure we were taken care of). Good food (try the fish taco - excellent). Nice simple clean room. Nice pool too

Room Tip: We stayed on 2nd floor, saw cool yellow birds out the window both days we stayed. A good view out th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Slovak first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I just got back from very relaxing vacation at the Jaco Laguna Resort. We surfed, sunned and enjoyed our time at the resort. The staff was very friendly and the food was great. The location was perfect, nestled into the south side of the beach. It was about a $2 taxi ride to the center of town, which was perfect for us. We really enjoyed the resort. It was very clean and well kept. We are planning our next vacation and Jaco Laguna Resort will be our first stop. My hubby even learned to surf while he was there. A life long dream.

Room Tip: I spoke to the owner while I was there, great person, anyway he informed me of the plans they have t...
Sarasota, Florida, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

if your looking for a place to stay, then this is it..... The rooms are fresh the food is great..not expensive, and ur on the beach....I will stay again, with family or not....And it has its own TiKI bar on the beach, with food service...I cant say enough about this place,so go and check it out for yourself...

Room Tip: get a room with the ocean view its amazing
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jacotravler
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My family and I just got back from a very nice vacation in Costa Rica. We many parts of the country but our favorite spot was the hotel in playa Jaco. It's a very peaceful location on the far south end of the beach. At night we could hear the waves crashing on the shore. The surf camp operator was terrific and had my boys up and surfing almost immediately. The staff was very friendly and the food was very good. We are planning our next trip and we will stay more days at the Laguna Resort. My sons want to surf more. LOL

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 which has two queen beds. Right out our front door was the ocean and pool. Our...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

On first glance, this appears to be a lovely hotel with great potential. However, I encourage you to read the fine details before staying here. Hidden resort fees, misleading room descriptions and bare minimum ammenities are only the beginning to this place.

First off, the view in the common areas is amazing... But non-existent in the rooms. Even the third floor "ocean view" only has an exhaust window located 6ft off the ground that offers a peak of the ocean while on your tippy toes.

The service of this resort is more than lacking. While staying for three nights during our honeymoon, we had very limited interactions with the staff, even though we sat out at the pool for hours, ate breakfast at the "restaurant" and tried to get drinks at the tiki bar. With the high level of customer service I have seen throughout multiple stays in Costa Rica, I found this to be extremely disappointing.

The rooms are very basic, with comfortable beds. The rooms do not contain mini-fridges. This is normally not a problem, but when the "tiki bar" is not open during some days (Monday) it would be nice to be able to make your own cool drink to sip by the pool.

The owners were here during our stay, and they did not greet us once while here. Even though there was maybe only four couples/families staying here during this time. Their lack of hospitality trickles down to the staff.

Although the beach and pool are nice, the high price tag for a room here is not justified. If you are looking for a romantic resort on the beach, or a great place to stay, I would immediately look elsewhere. I am certain that once more reviews come in, the tripadvisor rating of this "resort" will drop to its appropriate place.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank bmur09
Reviewed August 12, 2013

After reading all of this great reviews in trip advisor I decided it was time to check out this hotel. I speak perfect spanish so I called the front desk to ask for a room and the girl told me they were completely sold out. Surprisingly right away I went online and there were plenty of rooms available. Wich made me think they don't want hispanics in the hotel. I've been coming to Jaco twice a year for the last five years and I always stay in this section of Jaco. The beach is cleaner and more peaceful. I usually stay in hotel 9, a little boutique hotel very close to Jaco Laguna. Jaco Laguna was an abandoned hotel and it was recently remodeled ( if you can called it that). First we got there and were supposed to check in at 2:00pm. There were a lot of people waiting for their rooms and some people were still waiting pass 3:00pm. The manager was arguing with a couple at the front desk and the two days we were there we didn't see the guy smile or greet anybody. The girl at the front desk was overly nice wich I thought was great but don't ask her for a pool towel because you are never going to get it. We ask for pool towels several times and she said she will bring them to us and it never happened. Very frustrating and on top of that she was never apologetic about the situation. The hotel is sooo outdated, the chairs in the restaurant and in the reception area look like they came out of a hotel banquet hall from the 80's. Such a shame considering that Costa Rica has amazing woods. Everything in the hotel from the tiles to the decor is very outdated. At least the lounge chairs at the pool look contemporary. The rooms are like caves, there's only one small window that faces the parking lot. Another dissapointment considering most of the rooms face the ocean. One good thing about the room, the bed was very comfortable. We decided to have breakfast at their restaurant and the view is very nice, the food was very greasy and unhealthy. I was really hoping this place was good as I come to Jaco often, but I left very dissapointed.

3 Thank Berninyc
New York
Reviewed August 12, 2013

After watching this hotel being completely renovated during our visit to Jaco last year, we made a point of staying here this year, and we're so glad we did. Location: Superb, Service: Superb, Comfort: Superb. It added up to a great value for a beachfront hotel. From the breathtaking views of the sunset while sipping cocktails at the amazing Tiki Bar, to the most comfortable beds and handcrafted furnishings in every room, our satisfaction cannot be understated. We even met the owners who frequent the hotel to mingle with the guests. The staff was very accommodating and the food surpassed any restaurants in town. A winner nestled between the jungle on one side and beach on the other.

Room Tip: Any poolside room gives best views of the beach
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business