“We came as visitors and left as friends”

Copacabana Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
New Jersey
“We came as visitors and left as friends”
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My wife and I have visited Costa Rica in the past and fell in love with the Country. We always knew we wanted to go back. We finally had the opportunity to do so last month and when were looking to book our trip, we could not even remember the name of the hotel we stayed in. Only that we stayed in Jaco Beach.
We researched many hotels prior to booking this time. We chose the Copacabana. We both feel this was the BEST choice we could have made. It is a beautiful hotel located right on the beach. We enjoyed our meals looking out on to the beach surrounded by tropical landscaping. My wife is a vegan and the Chefs catered to her as if they themselves were vegan. I myself enjoyed many of the Costa Rican dishes on the menu including a dinner prepared for us with a Mahi we had caught earlier in the day on a fishing trip we took. The Copacabana has much to be desired, but the greatest feature the Copacabana has to offer is its top notch staff. We could not have been treated better if we were royalty. Ginger our amazing bartender, event coordinator, hostess and the many other hats she wears treated us like family. She always greeted us with a big smile and on our last day there we had the pleasure of meeting her family, who are just as friendly as she is. Another staff member of the Copacabana who made our trip unforgettable is Dave! Dave went out of his way to make sure we not only were comfortable at the hotel but also provided us with anything we needed from the use of a laptop to suggestions on places we should visit. He could have been our own personal travel agent he was so informative. His outgoing, friendly personality will never be forgotten and we enjoyed many evenings hanging out with Dave. My wife and I have found friends in Costa Rica and look forward to returning year after year. We will never again forget the name of the hotel we stayed in, because we will never stay anywhere other than the Copacabana.
Thanks again Ginger & Dave for an amazing trip!
Your new friends,
Rich & Denise

• Liked — The friendly Staff
  • Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I’ve been to Jaco three times to play poker tournaments but on this last trip, I didn’t travel with my friends, I went alone for the first time. I was shopping around for a great price on a week long stay and found the Copacabana. The manager Katia was very helpful and attentive to my initial email inquiries and when I finally called to book a room, it was no different. This excellent service continued from the point I arrived to when I left, and not from just Katia, but the entire staff. I got exactly what I expected, a clean comfortable room, friendly attentive service, great location, and a relaxing getaway.

The hotel is very guest friendly and made me feel like I was with friends, not just another guest. They were very accommodating to requests from the guests, such as allowing a DJ staying at the hotel to play music for the pool area. On the night the band came in, they played great and encouraged the audience to participate by singing or playing instruments with them on stage. They really want you to get the most out of your vacation while at the Copa.

I also took advantage of the massage service the hotel offers before my tournaments. I needed to get relaxed and destress and be mentally prepared. The massages did away with my stress through a deep tissue massage and hot stones therapy respectively. Both masseuses are very knowledgeable in their craft. The Copa definitely delivered on all points for me, from the services, food, and staff. Although I may have traveled alone, I always felt I was with friends during my stay. Thank you Katia, Luis, David, Ginger, Edgar, Raquel, and the rest of the staff. I enjoyed my previous stay so much, that I have booked a trip for next month.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Toronto
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Just came back from an incredible trip to Costa Rica, one of the highlights of which was my stay at the Copacabana Hotel & Suites in Jaco Beach (www.copacabanahotel.com). If Jaco Beach can be called a “surf town”, the Copacabana can truly be called a Beach Resort – right on the beach, you can literally walk out the front door with your surf board and ride the waves! Not that I’m a surfer, but you could if you wanted to, and people did when I was there. The open air restaurant is really cool, where you can leisurely sit and enjoy the goings on. The food can be described as good hearty meals, with a wide selection. Almost every night there’s live entertainment, and there’s nothing like a band playing in the open under the stars for ambiance, especially if you like classic rock and roll.

When you go, stay in one of the suites – I got a look inside and they’re great, some with jacuzzis on the balcony, especially with the old world woodwork. Unfortunately, the place was busy and I could only get a hotel room that was european but comfortable, with fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, microwave & a safe. There are two pools, one with a swim up bar that was pretty popular, and a clothing optional area with a pool and spa. High speed wifi is available in the open areas, so I kept up on business with email and my magic jack.

The town was nice, clean and full of locals and tourists. There’s quite a variety of places to eat, including a surfboard breakfast place, and a couple of bars, even an upscale lounge & night club.

But the best was the combination of Jaco town and the beach … it could have been located in south Florida or California as a quintessential beach town … just as cool and enjoyable to be in! This place, the town, beach and hotel, really made my trip, and when I go back, which I will, I’ll actually try to surf!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Tampa, FL
Reviewed January 23, 2010

My fiancee and I stumbled across this hotel by chance. It was a last minute trip to Jaco, we had originally intended to stay in Puntarenas (WORST PLACE IN COSTA RICA, avoid this town by all means). As soon as we arrived in Puntarenas, we ran far far away... crying! We had a driver take us to Jaco where a friend had mentioned it to be quite the fun town, and it is!! The Copa was one of the only hotels we could find availability at, Jaco is a very desirable place to visit, especially among college kids. Our stay at the Copa was considerably better than it would have been at the Puntarenas hotel, however was not worth the amount it cost to stay there a night ($150.00 per night). There loaction is great, a short distance from many great restaurants and it has direct beach access. The rooms were very run down and looked to have had the same furniture and bedding since the 70's or 80's, the hotel looks likr it has not been unkeeped to say the least. Our security box was out of order, the beds were very uncomfortable, the air conditioner very loud, and very little to no insulation in the walls.... you can hear EVERYTHING.
We never ate at the hotel, but did have a few drinks and listened to a live band, the drinks are good and so are the performers. There are some characters that stay at this hotel too, if you require silent sleep so not stay here, it is a party ALL NIGHT LONG.

I definitely recommend visiting Jaco though!! Jaco has some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen!! There is a restaurant called El Bohio that is AMAZING!! The beaches have black sand, we were told it was colored that way from the erosion of lava rocks washing ashore. There are many excursions you can do from Jaco, zip line, ATV ride, Surf lessons, boat excursion to Tortuga Island (MAGNIFICENT), short trip to montezuma rain forest and more!! You will not run out of things to do. The night life is never ending, lots of fun bars and clubs.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loninichole
john0123, Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 28, 2010
We would like to clarify a few of the statements made by this guest.Our highest hotel room rate is during New Years week which is $119.00 per night plus taxes of 13%,not $150.00 as alleged.The air conditioners are controlled by a remote were you can lower the fan speed to reduce the noise.Security boxes can be out of order were the batteries have to be changed or they are broken but during New Years week there is no stores open to purchase another one.The hotel rooms went through extensive renovations including all new beds between 2002 to 2004 and depending on the room they stayed in all the furniture is from 2002 to 2004 with further upgrades in 2006/2007.Some consumers like a hard bed were others want a soft bed.There is extra beds at the hotel for those consumers that do not like the bed they have.All they have to do is ask management.Depending on the room they stayed in they may have a valid complaint on the noise to the next room since prior to Christmas week work was done on the roof and it was found out in early January that the workers forgot to put the insulation back in.This problem has now been corrected.
Somerville, NJ
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Rooms are okay but running with all sorts of bugs ( noseeums). and the ones you do see. I was eaten alive. Service and food was terrible. Some foods were not cooked and I am still suffering from some kind of intestinal problems. Also, once they have your credit card, they will charge whatever they want ( barmaid and friend had party and charged to my room). BE CAREFUL!!! I have been going to Jaco beach for over 4 years now and always a great time but not at Copacabana (did this for a change) bad mistake. I will be going to Jaco beach in the future but will avoid the Copacabana like the plague. Beware!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank traveler00747
john0123, Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
This consumer is not telling the truth and is just lieing to the public.The review was put in by the consumer in an attempt to not pay any of his bill owed to us.The only food this consumer purchased from us was a seafood soup.There is no way to under cook a seafood soup.The Copacabana Hotel and Suites prides itself on having the best restaurant in Jaco.This consumer entertained several working girls at the bar.It is the consumers own drinking and entertaining of his guests that caused his large bill.No barmaid at this hotel had a party were this consumer was asked to pay.There is no bugs in the hotel rooms since the hotel is sprayed once every month.This consumers should remove his complaint as having no truth to it.
North Carolina
Reviewed December 28, 2009

This hotel is perfectly situated near the beach and local bars and restaurants. There are many big name hotels on the outskirts of town but this "resort" had the feel of the real city and instantly we were made to feel at home. From the owner (John) to the bartenters, everyone was accommodating and create a fun and relaxing environment. Kareoke night was a blast and the surf here was very good at high tied as well. We were made to feel like life long friends with the staff. Food is very good, especially the chicken burrito, full bar, etc. The best feature is the wet bar. The entire pool area is very lush with palm trees cropping the edges and a a beautiful lawn adjacent. Great place for singles and couples the like. We had so much fun we barely left the hotel. Everything we needed we right at hand.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Arlington, VA
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I went with three friends and we stayed in a suite. The rooms are basic, but they are comfortable and have everything you need. The pools are nice and the facilities are clean. I was very impressed with the service. We went during the green season, so there was not as many people, but I really felt as though they catered to us. They arranged for twin beds when we requested them. At one point our air conditioner stopped working. I reported it to the front desk and they said that they would take care of it. A short time later they called back and stated that the maintenance crew would not be able to get to our room until the next day, so they would help us move into another room. They could have easily told us to wait, but I was happy to move into a cooler room. Furthermore, we spent our last day in Jaco out fishing and came back with a good catch. The kitchen staff cooked us the fish for dinner and provided us with several side dishes as well. At the end of our meal, the staff came out and told us that we still had more fish that was not cooked. They were happy to store the fish for us and they cooked the rest for our lunch the next day. To address the concerns in the other reviews: The entertainment in the evening does get a little loud, but it's bearable. Also, there are prostitutes that frequent the hotel, but they aren't aggressive or obvious. The only way you can tell is by deducing that an older man would not typically be accompanied by such a young, attractive girl.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends