“Nothing to rave about” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
London, United Kingdom
“Nothing to rave about”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

We booked into this hotel hoping for a touch of luxury - having spent a week in lesser hotels in other parts of Costa Rica. The staff did not seem particularly friendly, and it was annoying having to carry our own towels/remote controls to the room we had just booked. When we arrived it was pouring with rain, and the route to our room was not undercover - a bit annoying!
The room was spacious with two twin beds, and a rather grotty bathroom with cheap sachets of shampoo. The selling point was a balcony with a sea view and two rocking chairs - where we spent most of our time at this hotel. There are three pools and a few hammocks, which are ideal if you want to relax - however the hotel did not offer chairs on the beach (directly opposite), which some other hotels did.
Our main problem with this hotel was the cleanliness - I woke up with a cockroach on me in the middle of the night, and my partner and I both got bitten multiple times whilst asleep. I know that Costa Rica is a tropical country, but we stayed in far lesser hotels which were cleaner and less open to the elements (there was a mosquito grill over the balcony doors at this hotel, but it didn't seem to help!)
We paid extra to stay in this hotel, which is considered by Lonely Planet (and local taxi drivers) as 'top range'. I wouldn't bother next time - it's not worth splashing out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank tezzthemezz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

We stayed here for two nights in our travels around Costa Rica. Great Location to explore Jaco. Even though it right in the town, the property is set up to give a little seclusion from their neighbours. Walks right out onto the beach!!! I loved the iguanas roaming around the property!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Bay Area, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2009

Stayed at Hotel Tangeri with a friend for 2 nights January 2009. We chose Jaco because it is only a 2 hour shuttle ride from San Jose airport. According to my shuttle driver new highway will be completed in about 1-2 years (2010-2011?) that will make the trip less than an hour.

I stayed in a double room in the hotel portion of the facility facing the beach. This hotel also has small bungalows available which seem like they would be pretty awesome if you have several guests in your party. However, these bungalows do not have any view. The hotel building is almost directly on the beach. It wasn't more than a 2 minute walk from my balcony to the water. It is also convenient to the various restaurants and bars in Jaco.

Accommodations at the Hotel are good: a fridge, 2 double beds, a TV, air conditioning, and a balcony with 2 rocking chairs. My AC was broken but since I was only at the Tangeri for 2 nights it was not going to be a big deal.

I had room 206. I would recommend it because there are only 6 rooms that face the ocean (I imagine 204-206 or ground level 104-106). The $105/night during high season included breakfast and tax. i did not have the opportunity to try the breakfast.

This place is not for light sleepers -- there is a brand new big hotel being built right next to the tower. There is also a nightclub/bar (Ginesha) a short walk away that you may be able to hear. Even with the balcony door open I didn't have any problem with the noise but it could be bothersome to sensitive people. It isn't luxurious enough to be a honeymoon destination but it is a good value. Overall I would avoid central Jaco as a honeymoon destination because I found it quite seedy (i.e. drugs and prostitution).

The staff speaks English and I arranged my stay over email easily. They are helpful.

• Liked — great beach location and convenient
  • Disliked — a/c was broken, large hotel construction next door.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank happyboredom
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

Staff very friendly, spoke good English, and very helpful. We took day tours set up by the Tangeri and the driver Rigo took us to all of them. He was very knowledgable of the area. He took us by little "sodas" on the way for a bite to eat if it wasnt included in the tour for that day. Highly recommend the zip line tours set up by them. 25 lines over 5K, horse back riding and a good dinner afterwards. just use common sense when walking through the town. great food all up and down the streets of Jaco! Dont eat the American cuisine, you can do that at home. Eat the local food. Transfer funds via ATM ,better exchange to colones.

• Liked — Safeness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank eandwwest
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2008

We needed a place to stay in Jaco just for one night. This certainly did the trick. Jaco is getting "built up" as I write this so I am glad we got to see it before it is strung with high rise after high rise. The grounds are lovely, the pool(s) are very nice. We stayed in #201 - beachfront, second floor. The balcony view was out to the ocean, sunset and all (which speaks for itself). The beach there is big (perfect for a long stroll) and still pleasantly uncrowded. The hotel offered decent value at $130 for the night including breakfast and taxes. The room was clean, AC worked well. My one suggestion would be to offer towels at the pool.

Stayed February 2008
Sterling Hts, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2008

We stayed at the Tangeri Hotel for 1 night before a cruise. We had a clean and well stocked beachfront room on the 2nd floor facing the ocean. The only problem was a bright light outside the doorwall that shined in all night, I'm guessing for security reasons. The grounds are beautiful and the 2 pools seemed clean. Yes, there are iguanas all over the place but they are more afraid of you than you should be of them. Make a move towards them and they scamper off. We also saw a number of what looked like Jesus Christ lizards (they run on top of water) on the grounds as well.
Breakfast is included with the room rate and we ate both dinner and breakfast at the restaurant connected to the hotel. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced.
Jaco is a surfing town and so there will be people camping on the beach and it might be a little rowdy at night. If you are looking for pristine sugar sand beaches this isn't the place for you. The sand is brown and the water can be rough for swimming. We were there during the rainy season so the water is a little murky. When we go back to Jaco we will definately stay at the Tangeri Hotel again.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank b1j2m3c1
San Jose
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

If I was hired to do an "honest advertisement" (probably a contradiction in terms) of the Tangeri it would go something like this :

"We have an A/C room where you can sleep and you can use the pool too!"

This hotel is for anyone looking to be in the center of Jaco to party or whatever (Jaco is a beach town about 2 hours away from San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica)

They have no room service, no mini bar (most rooms have an empty refrigerator) and little service in general. Anybody unfamiliar with the laid back Central American culture is sure to be frustrated.

A simple example of the awful (but not uncommon) service - Most rooms come with 2 towels and a message on the wall - "If you want more towels go to the reception and turn these 2 in and you can get 2 fresh ones" First of all, just 2 towels at a beach hotel are certainly not enough. Secondly, we requested the towels at around 10 AM and were told they didn't have any fresh ones but they would deliver some to our room in 20 mins (even though we were at the pool) When nothing showed up at the pool or room until noon I finally had to go stand at reception (completely soaked) and request the towels be handed over. After about 20 mins of going back and forth they finally sent a guy to the laundry area to pick up 2 fresh towels for us.

If that kind of thing would be really bothersome for you Tangeri (and many other cheap Costa Rican hotels) are not for you. This is nothing out of the ordinary for Costa Rica however. I have been living in San Jose for the past few years and I can tell you this isn't anything out of the ordinary.

The rooms were basically clean, had local cable (not tremendous reception) and had a bathroom with a plastic heater that could make the water lukewarm.

Additional notes

#1 The whole hotel is littered with these rather large lizards as you can see in the pictures I have uploaded. They are all around the pool area, near reception etc. You should definitely stay away if that bothers you.

#2 It IS beach front but the beach is an ugly rocky beach full of people.

• Liked — That it had rooms available on new year's eve!
  • Disliked — Service, Size of pool, rocky beach etc etc
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Costa-Rican_reviews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
BEST WESTERN Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
#8 of 44 in Jaco
Hotel & Club Punta Leona
Hotel & Club Punta Leona
#1 of 2 in Punta Leona

Been to Tangeri Hotel? Share your experiences!