“NEVER again!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Hotel Cocal & Casino
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
Toronto
“NEVER again!”
Reviewed January 13, 2007

We have been to Costa Rica a few times and it has been wonderful each time except for when we stayed at the El Cocal in Jaco. We booked our vacation through Nolitours. This was the second time Nolitours has put us in a hotel with construction in or near the hotel. When we booked we were told we would get a gardenview room with a buffet breakfast. Well, the "gardenview" turned out to be a parking lot view and no buffet breakfast. Just a selection of three or 4 items. I settled for eggs with 1 piece of cold toast and a glass of warm juice every morning. A couple times I ordered a plate of fruit but it wasn't enough to satisfy my appetite. We ended up eating all our other meals in Jaco and the food was great! I told the person at the front desk that we paid for a garden view room but I was told that all Air Transat people were in the parking lot. I would NOT have booked here had I known this. There is a condo being built in the parking lot. Construction starts at 6am every morning. Be ready for a rude awakening every day to hammering and alot of niose. The manager wouldn't even talk to us. They wouldn't do anything to make it up to us. Halfway through the week we ended up paying an extra $30USD per night for an ocean view. This is NOT the place to go for solitude. The beach is nice (big waves) except for the garbage everywhere. There's a big hill at the end of the beach with lots of birdlife. Lots of Toucans and Macaws there. We will NOT be booking through Nolitours again. Two strikes, not going for a third.

Stayed January 2007
6 Thank Mike2222

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Olin,Iowa
Reviewed April 2, 2006

Could not get excited one way or another. Rooms ere no great bargain, need some updated. Overall the hotel was clean. Nice pool area with bar. Restuarant was average at best. Have stayed at better and worse.

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank RocknOlin
Reviewed March 9, 2006

The hotel is just fine, and the people are great. The costruction noise is really minimal - I find the street noise more noticeable. Once you are on the beach side of the hotel, all you hear is the surf. Good TV, alarm clock, wake up calls are available. I would go again.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 4, 2006

Just a warning for anyone traveling to Cocal this year, construction starts every weekday morning less than 30 feet from the hotel at 6:30 AM. Construction is due to complete late in 2006. Also, judging from my experience, I would say thay it's a good idea at this hotel to check that the prices they charge you (for drinks and extras) is the same as the prices they post.

• Stayed December 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Jaco hotels

Reviewed July 20, 2005

I stayed here and enjoyed myself very much. There is a small casino within the hotel which is perfect when you get those gambling cravings. The price is just right for what you get, and the staff was very friendly using my first name when to refering to me ! It is right on the beach and with 2 pools and an out door bar there is plenty to do. It is located in a good location which makes it easy when you want to go out dancing or just shop around town. I give this place my "OK" David Vargas , Orange County, California.

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 18, 2005

Just got back from Jaco and Hotel Cocal. We didn't go there to spend time in the room watching TV or talking on the phone. Need a wake up call? Get a wake up knock on the door. Seven couples had a great time. Enjoyed the pool and near by tiki bar w/ TV (ESPN,etc..). Did canopy tour, hang gliding, fishing out of Los Suenos.

Hotel was clean with courteous staff. Would go again in a minute. Remember, this part of Costa Rica and Jaco are isolated and have just started getting up to spead. Electricity got there in 1980. Its a surfer town and VERY laid back. We were cautious/careful being so far from US, but ended up enjoying every minute.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
moncton
Reviewed December 12, 2004

While the amenities may not be plentiful in the rooms, not even an alarm clock, the staff are very friendly. The food in the hotel restaurant cannot be beat anywhere else in town. We were there for two weeks and ate a lot of questionable meals with less than good service at times. The second week we ate all our meals at the hotel, lots of variety and two nightly specials. My husband fell in love with the red snapper and the sea bass and practically lived on it. The two pools are very clean as is the whole hotel. The beach is steps away and only busy on the weekends. We had a wonderful stay and weren't in our rooms long enough to miss anything. We were there the last week in Feb. and the first week of March 2004 and are hoping to be there again this year.

14 Thank martha2