WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Cocal & Casino

Hotel Cocal & Casino
Ranked #35 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
Houston, Texas, United States
“Nice Rooms, Nice Hotel, Nice Brothel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel has very nice rooms and an awesome set of pools. It is also located directly on the beach. At night it turns into a brothel there were seriously like 300 hookers. I didn't check out the Casino but I saw several games of Texas Hold Em going on when I was walking through the Corridor to the Pool.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the pool if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Hunter S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I must say as a solo male traveler this is the place to stay. I must also say I highly recommend room number 5 or 7. These rooms face the ocean, but they are last rooms on the property. The rooms face the right side of the property. Its almost like you have your own private back yard facing the ocean. Room5 has two queen size beds, AC, hot water, and great water pressure. I recommend room #5 because it is the only room where you can get some rest if you do not want to be bothered with early evening activities on the resort. Yes the resort gets live around 5:30pm. You can get some rest and then start your activities...... You cant go wrong!!!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bailey39Baltimore
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I am not sure where to begin with the Cocal beach resort, but let me first say this. DO NOT STAY HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! Out of all of the hotels in over 30 countries I have been to, THIS IS THE WORST HOTEL IN THE WORLD. Management is unavailable at most times of the day. I believe the general managers name is Alan, I had asked to speak with him many times but whenever I ask for him he is out at lunch, running errands, taking his fourth day off of the week, etc. The staff told me the best way to reach him is by email. Yes, the general manager of the hotel is never around and if you want to speak with him, email him. Even better is the night manager who's name is carlos. Ive actually met him. You can spot him pretty easily, he is drunk most of the day drinking at the bar while flirting with the bartenders, smoking cigarettes on the beach, or hanging out in the casino. I asked to speak to him the first day I arrived because I had paid for two beach front rooms and I the rooms didn't have WIFI. I asked to be moved to another room that had WIFI and he told me that WIFI was only available around the pool and that NO room had WIFI access. I asked how is this possible and he yelled at me said he had other things to deal with and walked away. The front desk clerk apologized for his behavior and said this is how Carlos always acts. He went on to tell me that the American owner is always in the USA so management knows they can do whatever they want. That is the general theme of the resort, it's the inmates running the asylum, because there is no accountability. If you show up for the free breakfast you maybe waiting awhile, because nobody is watching the waiters to make sure the tables are being served. If you are at the bar trying to get a drink you also might wait half an hour because the night time manager is busy talking to the staff. Ive never been to an insane asylum or a prison, but I think that Cocal Resort provided me with a pretty good idea of what goes on in those types of places. Inmates running the asylum is a gross understatement for what goes on at this resort. The tour desk located in front of the resort is the one good thing about Cocal. They are a separate company and are really friendly and helpful for setting up tours and providing information about the area. I spoke with them about my problems at the resort and they said that many other guests had problems as well. I feel bad that they had to run a tour company at such a terrible resort. But that's what cocal is, the worst hotel/ in the world. I wouldn't recommend this resort to my worst enemy. On top of it all, I realized that the hotel charged my credit card for charges I did not authorize. DO NOT STAY HERE. You will regret it

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
14 Thank Grego2

Travelers are raving about these Jaco hotels

San Diego, Ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I came here and we were stunned and could not leave fast enough. By 9pm it was filled with prostitutes coming in by cab and filling the pool area. It was truly surprising and I feel like this needs to be clearly stated here and to anyone choosing to come here. I know that there are men who will choose this location for this activity but a lot of us who consult trip advisor are not looking for recommendations on prostitution. This should be clearly stated on the website and all places looking for upstanding establishments to visit. Several reviews state this is not a family hotel but that is not near clear enough. We came with no idea what we were in for and couldn't leave fast enough.

• Stayed July 2013
26 Thank urbanmamma
James G, Owner at Hotel Cocal & Casino, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
We apologize for your unpleasant experience at our hotel. Our hotel is inclusive to all lifestyles without discrimination. Our business is selling rooms, food, beverages, and entertainment in our casino. That's it. What our guests choose to do, as long as it is within Costa Rican law, is their business. We do not participate in any commercial interest beyond our core business of rooms, food, beverages, and gaming. We neither condone or condemn the legal and respectful behavior some of our guests choose to engage in. Again, sorry you were not happy with your stay.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Found about this hotel on the Ticaland website and saw that it had replaced the beetle bar in terms of night life ground zero.

Very nice accommodations and a vibrant nightly pool scene. The restaurant is servers great food, the staff makes it feel like a family hotel with great, friendly service. My luck in the casino wasn't so great, but the rest of the hotel was nice. Waking up, walking out of my room to the beach and having my morning coffee while watching the surf is a priceless experience. I most definitely be back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the ocean front room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jack E
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Hotel Cocal is what it is -NOT a family hotel. Great location, clean modern (small) rooms, very good/friendly staff (except for the front desk, depending who's there - WHY ?) Restaurant / food is very good. Still, a really good choice in Jaco. hotel, especially for a single guy

Room Tip: If I did, I'd lose my favorite room !
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank 2dragon2
chas. sc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here four nights. When I checked in no bath soap or shampoo. Asked for it at front desk and never got it. Breakfast free but coffe a coffee refill took forever. Had an incident with the ladies at bar, stolen money and phone, told front desk-no effort to contact security. Told about losing safe key costing $75 but nothing about bath towels being accounted for. When I checked out it cost me $20 for missing towel that I used to swat a roach outside my door and left on chair outside room. Bar service very slow and food was substandard. Greek salad was iceberg lettuce with three cucumber slices and salsa? No feta, olives or peppers. Great for single guys and the evenings have a very favorable ratio of ladies to men. Room was very nice!

Room Tip: ask for one near the beach but away from front desk bar area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo