“Beware this is the central location of prostitution in Jaco”

Hotel Cocal & Casino
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I came here and we were stunned and could not leave fast enough. By 9pm it was filled with prostitutes coming in by cab and filling the pool area. It was truly surprising and I feel like this needs to be clearly stated here and to anyone choosing to come here. I know that there are men who will choose this location for this activity but a lot of us who consult trip advisor are not looking for recommendations on prostitution. This should be clearly stated on the website and all places looking for upstanding establishments to visit. Several reviews state this is not a family hotel but that is not near clear enough. We came with no idea what we were in for and couldn't leave fast enough.

• Stayed: July 2013
28  Thank urbanmamma
James G, Owner at Hotel Cocal & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

We apologize for your unpleasant experience at our hotel. Our hotel is inclusive to all lifestyles without discrimination. Our business is selling rooms, food, beverages, and entertainment in our casino. That's it. What our guests choose to do, as long as it is within Costa Rican law, is their business. We do not participate in any commercial interest beyond our core business of rooms, food, beverages, and gaming. We neither condone or condemn the legal and respectful behavior some of our guests choose to engage in. Again, sorry you were not happy with your stay.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Found about this hotel on the Ticaland website and saw that it had replaced the beetle bar in terms of night life ground zero.

Very nice accommodations and a vibrant nightly pool scene. The restaurant is servers great food, the staff makes it feel like a family hotel with great, friendly service. My luck in the casino wasn't so great, but the rest of the hotel was nice. Waking up, walking out of my room to the beach and having my morning coffee while watching the surf is a priceless experience. I most definitely be back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the ocean front room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jack E
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Hotel Cocal is what it is -NOT a family hotel. Great location, clean modern (small) rooms, very good/friendly staff (except for the front desk, depending who's there - WHY ?) Restaurant / food is very good. Still, a really good choice in Jaco. hotel, especially for a single guy

Room Tip: If I did, I'd lose my favorite room !
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank 2dragon2
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here four nights. When I checked in no bath soap or shampoo. Asked for it at front desk and never got it. Breakfast free but coffe a coffee refill took forever. Had an incident with the ladies at bar, stolen money and phone, told front desk-no effort to contact security. Told about losing safe key costing $75 but nothing about bath towels being accounted for. When I checked out it cost me $20 for missing towel that I used to swat a roach outside my door and left on chair outside room. Bar service very slow and food was substandard. Greek salad was iceberg lettuce with three cucumber slices and salsa? No feta, olives or peppers. Great for single guys and the evenings have a very favorable ratio of ladies to men. Room was very nice!

Room Tip: ask for one near the beach but away from front desk bar area.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank charliesouthcritic
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great place to stay and have a good time. Ocean is right outside and make for pleasant sound for sleeping. Just make sure you have sunscreen. Also very nice pool bar and restaurant. The pool bar appeared to open about 9 or 10 in the morning and closed about 1 on weekend nights.

Room was clean, spacious with the staff being very attentive. Hotel convenient to shopping and eating in Central Jaco. It was a short ride up to Los Suenos for what that offers.

The only negative was the casino manager. They could do much better if they got rid of him. His attitude is not conducive to gamblers.

Room Tip: At this time beach in front of hotel has tricky undertow. Sea bass along with the ceviche was very...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Cocal has all of the things you want in a quick getaway to Jaco. Good Bar, Food, Nice little Casino with poker. 2 pools next to busy bar on on beach. The condos accross the parking lot are also very nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Robert Z
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A beach front hotel with fairly modern/clean rooms,efficient staff and security, and good value relative to similarly located properties. The restaurant serves simple meals prepared just right. For instance, I paid $150 for a less than average seafood meal for two just south of the hotel, and the next night had a delicious and much more satisfying seafood meal at the Cocal for $32 for two.

There is an offsite tour guide named Ketty that is well known at the property and stops by regularly. There is also an onsite tour coordinator, but they seem to represent a select group of vendors, whereas Ketty has the flexibility to select a vendor, or customize a tour that best suits your desires.

Yes, there are working girls at poolside and in the casino, but not aggressive. For the most part just decent people that haven't yet found an alternative way to make a living, and some have interesting stories to tell given the opportunity. Beyond that, what happens between consenting adults is not my business.

I have a fairly well established itinerary when visiting Costa Rica that always includes one or two nights in Jaco, and Cocal will be my go-to spot for the foreseeable future.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms overlooking the parking lot for privacy, value and a quiet sleep. If you don'...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends