“2nd time in Jaco, an informative review” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cocal & Casino

Hotel Cocal & Casino
Ranked #35 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
Baltimore
“2nd time in Jaco, an informative review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I just got back from a 4 night vacation in Jaco..... 1st of all this hotel sits directly on the beach. Its very clean and the ocean side rooms where just remodeled. I was in room #9, It has a king size bed, flat screen tv, and housekeeping came everyday. Just leave a little tip and your room will get extra treatment......... the property is 1 block away from the club loft and 2 blocks away from the grocery store.......there is a fantatic restaurant 4 blocks away called Rustika. Its where alot of the locals eat, its buffet style and the food is very good, fresh, and cheap...... lunch and dinner buffet is $7.00 the restaurant is closed on sunday....... just a couple of side notes..... the ladies from the Beetle Bar have moved to this location just within the past two months.. The Beetle Bar increased there charges for cover, drinks, and entertainment, so everything moved to this location........also there is construction going on that starts at 7am everyday...... so no sleeping in if you get the ocean or pool side rooms..... the party starts around 6:30pm and ends a little after 12:30pm...... I hope this helps..... have a great time.

Room Tip: if you stay in the poolside rooms you will get no sleep until after 2AM
10 Thank Bailey39Baltimore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

My first stay here. Yes, a lot of hooker action, and loud music at night. So, be prepared, if this is not your thing. Construction was going on, not very peaceful. Should be done by now. Had a beachfront room (recommened), though very small, and behind the bar/loud music. Food at the restaurant was quite good. Also, had an on site outdoor masseuse.

Room Tip: They have JR. Suite (beachfront), that I originally booked. Was told there was construction going on...
4 Thank 2dragon2
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I went with my husband. the rooms are modern and clean. But the heavy atmosphere. At afternoon begins to fill with hookers looking for customers. At night had 30 hookers stalking guys in pool area, it was terrible . Is a great place if guys is looking hookers...

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
22 Thank Kate C

Travelers are raving about these Jaco hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

The rooms are nice.
But. The hotel has turned into the local gathering spot for hookers and the guys that seek them. There is a central courtyard with a pool. At night the music comes out and so do the hookers. The place is filled with the ladies of the night and there followers (old guys with money) A local friend laughed when we told him where we were staying. He said, " I wouldn't take my socks off and walk across that floor if I were you!"
It comes with breakfast and is ocean front.
Great for guys who like hookers...everyone else, not so much

Room Tip: Don't stay near the pool if you want any sleep.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank AlohaAmy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

My wife and I had a great time. Nice pool. Nice staff. Food was amazing. Very calm.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank ronviella
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I recently visited Costa Rica with four other buddies for sportsfishing. I did not choose this hotel. After being told where we were staying, I will admit I was concerned about the other ratings. So, my expectations were low.

We had five rooms oceanfront, all in a row and next to one another. Some of the guys were smokers (they did have a smoking area right outside the oceanfront rooms). We checked in and then gathered at the extreme end of the oceanfront rooms so as to be as far away as we could from the other hotel residents. We are five guys who had not seen each other in a while so we had a lot of catching up to do. I am sure we were too loud, perhaps profane at times, drank too much, and smoked cigars and cigarettes. But, we were trying not to offend.

The hotel manager and the hotel staff recognized that we were not going to be trouble and they were terrific. They genuinely wanted us to enjoy ourselves and they overlooked some of our innocent trangressions. They added to our enjoyment of Costa Rica and the Hotel Cocal!

Yes, there was loud music in the courtyard. Yes, there were girls there also. But, there were also families there enjoying the music. There was peaceful coexistence. No aggression.

The Casino is small but entertaining. I lost exactly what I planned to lose.

The beach and the ocean were fabulous and right at the front door!

My strongest complaint is that the loud music did not stop, even during weekdays, until midnight. We were getting up at 6am for a fishing trip way off the coast. I lost out on needed sleep.

Otherwise, the price was very reasonable. I thought the hotel was clean.

So, if you will not be offended by the girls, go ahead and enjoy this perfectly located hotel in Jaco.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sea Ya' I
Scotland Neck
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have stayed at the Cocal in years past but wouldnt want to be within 2 blocks of the place now. It is nothing but a prostitute hang out . I will miss the great food at the resturant but it aint worth hearing drunks half the night. Stayed in the condo behind Cocal recently and the noise was awful.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends