“Condos in a lush setting at end of strip, quiet, pretty nice”
Review of Hotel Club del Mar

Hotel Club del Mar
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Jaco
Santa Barbara, California
“Condos in a lush setting at end of strip, quiet, pretty nice”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights...the location is away from the busy and loud Jaco strip which is good but also means you need a car or taxis. Quiet hotel. Lush atmosphere with private-style condo/bungalows....remincsent of Caribbean island-style condos on the beach. Get a ground level one and you can open your walk out patio to the beach and walk right out to the beach that way. We got upgraded to a one bedroom condo which is huge, huge bed/bedroom, huge closet, roomy living room with flat screen, decent kitchen with bar and a dining room....also has washer/dryer! was not expecting such a roomy place. HHappy with the decor, lots of mahogany wood. The pool here was decent...the beach is rocky and has black sand...or dirt sand as we called it. it rained every day for us so we didnt get to use either. But all in all the beach is not that great...need to drive to Manuel Antonio for better beaches at the state park. Jaco is hit or miss..during the day if you want authentic and cheap eats, there are plenty of the soda bars/shacks down the side alleys. the best one we found was over the bridge on the ocean side. a plate of local food costs $3. Beers are cheap especially at happy hour. The main restaurants are rip offs so try to eat like a local. As for nightlife, 2 of the 3 nights Jaco was dead, no one out at all. the third night was wild...went to nearby Hermosa beach Wed night and it was packed, ladies drink free. Taxi was $5. Then taxid to Jaco after to Monkey bar and then went to Vibe until 4am. Taxi to Jaco strip from Club del Mar is $4.

Manuel Antonio park was cool, saw lots of monkeys...nice beaches. The entire place is in a mountain. I have lots of info on Arenal, Jaco, Manuel Antonio etc so feel free to contact me about Club del Mar, Jaco nightlife, food...etc.

Make sure to stop at the big bridge on the way from Jaco back to San Jose....saw tons of crocodiles. Also in Jaco there is a small frog/butterfly/snake garden up a mountain...wooden signs on the main road point you there, lots of great wildlife there....let me know if you have any questions. Overall Club del Mar was fine and great if you have 3 or more people. Just go to the local stores and buy beer/drinks for your condo. be sure to get the free continental breakfast also.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
Collierville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 18, 2010

This place is beautiful!!! This was our first trip to Jaco and Hotel Club Del Mar is the place to stay. The whole place is very, very clean and the staff is so helpful and friendly, The grounds are immaculate and we seen all kinds of wildlife, including parrots, little hermit crabs on the beach and a sloth that stayed in a tree for 3 days. It was my birthday so my husband had one of the great waiters to get a cake for me. He went way out of his way to go purchase the cake and surprised me. We stayed in a two bedroom condo that was fabulous. They clean everything for you everyday, including windows and dishes.
I just cant say enough great things about this hotel. You will love it. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
The food at their restaurant is the best. We had sea bass, mahi mahi and steak and lobster at a great price. We ended up eating there all the time. Just so relaxing and then again exciting. We went zip lining, and atv touring.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2010

The hotel was gorgeous and very close to restaurants and nightlife in Jaco. We didn't surf, but the beach looked very popular with surfers. The rooms were pristine and beautifully appointed.

As will happen in the tropics, a lizard died in the room's A/C, so we couldn't use the a/c for one night when we were there (when we had the A/C on there was a bad stench). It took everyone a while to figure out what the smell was, but once we figured it out, we just didn't use the A/C and temperature wise it was fine. We told the owner and he charged us one night less on our bill, which was really very nice. Excellent customer service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Collierville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My wife and I had the greatest time anyone should be allowed to have in Jaco costa rica. We had a reservation for a hotel room and when we seen the condos they had we had to upgrade for only $20.00 a night. It was the cleanest place I have ever stayed at.. The service at hotel club delmar was excellent from the cleaning staff to the bar guys to the resturant staff. The food is the best I ever ate anywhere. Phillip the owner brought in a chef from France for 6 months to teach the cooks how to prepare the food and it was well worth it. I am not a fish lover but I ate it everynight there. The sea bass was to die for and the mahi mahi also along with the surf and turf. this is a 3rd world country but I felt I was in a 5 star hotel. They made sure our stay was first class and will be going back. We spent 8 days there and was I bummed when it was up. I asked william one of the bar backs to get me a cake for my wifes 50th b-day and he delievered with the best cake I have ever eaten in the state also. If you are going to Jaco Costa Rica you would be crazy to spend your stay anywhere else. I thought my wife would hate it there and all she does is talk about going back. Thanks to all the people at hotel club del mar for the best vacation/birthday celebration we ever had. If I had to say one thing bad and this is not there fault is the water pressure. the toilets get clogged very easy and the showers are not powerful but that is because you are in costa rica.

Baltimore
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I traveled with my husband and my 2 year old son.
I had initially booked on of their small rooms, but they told me it had only a king bed and without me asking they upgraded us to a condo!!
What a surprise! the Condo had 2 rooms, 2 full bathrooms, was completely furnitured and equiped, It was in the firts floor, near the pool, it was amazing.
The little beach was almost private to us, I did not went into the ocean but I was very nice to see the sunset.
The staff at the bar was exc, the coctails were not awesome but good, the breakfast was less than continental, but since we had our condo full equiped we cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner on Sat and went out for ice cream to Jaco afterwards.
The pool was very nice, had a lovely Kids pool, the garden was well kept and the mayority of guest where families and young people.
I would go there again, hopefully We will get the same deal but if not the hotel it self it's awesome.
I would recommend the condo to larger groups, the master bedroom has a King zise bed, the other room has 2 single beds and the sofa cama in the leaving room sleeps 2 people!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
VA
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Stayed one night. No bellman. Carried my bag up one flight of stairs. Could not work the elevator. My room was ready when I arrived. The pool was nice. The room had a nice balcony and view of the ocean. I walked back from town. It was a little seedy and confusing. I would not do it at night. I got a cup of coffee in the morning. There was no continental breakfast as advertised. I was dissapointed, felt I had been a little gipped. I would have made other arrangements for breakfast had I known. No goodby or thank-you from the front dsk when I checked out. They would not arrange any transportation for me. Rather they told me to go to town to the Best Western and talk to the Grayline man.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Port Colborne, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2010

WOW !!!
What a great place. What a great Hotel. We just got back from our vacation on Sat. and we were gone for a week and I already want to return ! We rented a car and drove to Jaco that was interesting the drive was a bit scary with all the hills but what a veiw ! We arrived at our hotel to find a wonderful place and a wonderful staff!! (I can't say enough about how wonderful they treated us ) I thought my kids were going to cry when we left! We surfed and we never have surfed before that was soooo much fun ! We ventured in to town to book a couple trips(fishing). We went to the national park that too was amazing ! The whole trip was wonderful it helps when you stay at a wonderful place !!!!!
thank you Hotel Club del mar!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family