“excellent”

Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
long island new york
“excellent”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

My wife and I stayed here and it was great. We were in a 2 bedroom condo. The rooms are spacious, high ceilings, nice furniture, firm beds, a/c and ceiling fans, nice kitchen. The maids do a beautiful job with nice, personal touches. The front desk has someone there all hours and they are very nice and extremely helpful. The beach side has someone always present to prevent anyone but guests from coming on the property and the parking lot has a guard on duty all night. It's all the way at the south end of Jaco beach so it's more quiet than the zoo up the beach without all the vendors. The waves are not as large as further up the beach but are better shaped and hold together nicely. Late afternoon at high tide they were the biggest. I'd recommend a rental car because it's a bit of a hike to get to town to shop, eat, etc. In a car it's 3 minutes to the center of town. Some excellent restaurants in town and very convenient to Hermosa beach about 5 minute drive south. Jaco is a great starting point for day trips north and south along the coast. This is the place for a perfect stay at the beach in Costa RIca.

• Liked — feeling as if we were home
  • Disliked — checking out
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Andy1951

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed August 10, 2006

I'm so glad that I stayed at Club del Mar and picked it over all the other hotels that I looked at. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated with great views of the pool and beach. The hotel had good staff bilingual in English. The food was good and the bartenders were so friendly - I miss them already! The hotel is safe, further away from town, with security guards. There are activites around the hotel that you can book. I traveled here with only my friend and being two girls we felt safe here with no problems at all. I will definetely stay here again the next time I visit Costa Rica, hopefully that will be soon.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank Traveler021
Whitby, ON Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2006

While each of the 4 hotels on our trip were very nice, distinct and different in their own right, Club del Mar proved to be a real gem. It's at the very end of Jaco Beach minutes from town. We arrived early and our hotel room, which was rather small with a limited view, wasn't yet ready, but we were offered an up-grade to a 'casita' (at additional cost of course), consisting of two bedrooms, two baths, full kitchen, washer/dryer, A/C, living room, room safe, etc. If you can, definitely try to book into one, particulary if you're more than two people. The extra space, comfort and convenience was well worth it (especially being able to do some laundry!). We saved alot of $'s by going into town to stock up on the basics for breakfast and lunch particularly. MasXMenos is a very nice modern supermarket where you can find just about everything. We even found cookies made right here in Ontario, and a better selection of diabetic foods than most supermarkets here at home! ! The restaurant was very nice for supper and there is a great variety of restaurants in town.

Club del Mar is fairly small and intimate. The staff were just great and very helpful. The housekeepers even do your dishes! The parking lot is very close to the highway and is not guarded, however, so be very careful about leaving anything in your car.

You'll see lots of Scarlet Macaws here! We particularly enjoyed being able to lie in bed in the early evening looking out over the illuminated pool and gardens to the ocean surf crashing over the rocks at the end of Jaco Beach and the frequent lightning shows farther out over the Pacific.

Which gets me to about the best part...the beach! You're at the end, so there's very little foot traffic and we didn't see any beach peddlars on it at all. It was rather busy on the Sunday when we arrived (presumably with locals) but throughout the rest of the week it was essentially deserted and you felt like you had it all to yourself. The beach is very flat and shallow for a long ways out, with lovely firm sand (no stones/pebbles, sea shells or sea urchins!!). The surf is amazing and initially intimidating, but the rollers break nicely with basically no under-tow at all to worry about. Good surfing and body-surfing! I've been on beaches all over the Caribbean, Brazil and the Med., and while Jaco isn't perhaps the most dramatic, it certainly ranks as one of the nicest beaches I've ever been on!

All in all, our time at Club del Mar was the highlight of our trip!!!! We highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2006
17 Thank atyourfingertips
Panajachel, Guatemala
Reviewed May 13, 2006

Hotel Club del Mar is by far the nicest place to stay in Jaco. Los Suenos and Villas Caletas are perhaps nicer in some ways but are out of town. Del Mar is at the far south end of the beach so away from the noise of town. You could walk into town along the beach if you like. Surfing is good directly in front of the hotel and the pool is nice.

We stayed in one of the ground-floor condos and it was nicely furnished, one bedroom with a full kitchen. THe kitchen was well supplied with all you need to cook. The restaurant is a little expensive but quite good. I tried the lobster one night at $24 and found it to be great. It was not tough. I had lobster in other places in CR for less $ but this was the best one.

Rooms near the road can get a little noisy with trucks using their Jake brakes but we did not find this to be a problem.

I would suggest the Del Mar for anyone wanting a classic beach vacation. Quiet but plenty to do nearby.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank Groucho123
richmond, VA
Reviewed April 19, 2006

Just got back from another trip to CR. Stayed at this very nice place at the south end of the beach in Jaco. $2 cab ride to the main drag of Jaco, this hotel is not in the busy section of town. Very clean, functional with kitchen and two decent bedrooms, kitchen, dining and living room. Met some families from CA. Their kids seemed to enjoy it. Food was good but a tad pricey, food overall in CR is very good and usually very reasonable. Got their lobster dinner one night for $24. 2 decent sized lobsters that had been cooked on the grill. The chef needs to learn to go easy on fresh lobster as it turned out to be one of the toughest sea creatures I have ever tried to extract from a shell. We had room 19 on the first floor. I think that I would go with a room on the second floor and one with a view of the ocean. Phil, the owner, was very nice and was around every afternoon talking to people. He is a busy man building a bunch of stuff in Jaco.
Hotel is right on the beach so it is an easy walk to the ocean. Water temp was 87 and the water stays shallow for a good ways out. Would be good for kids. Great waves for beginnner surfers. They have boards that you can rent with lessons. Next time.
Hotel rented us their van that they use for pick ups and deliveries to San Jose airport. Great way to get back and forth from the airport. We got the van for a 1/2 day for $120 and had a driver take us south to Quespas. Neat journey but watch out for the bridges. Have never seen anything like it. Do not drive south at night. Roads go from great to nothing in no time flat.
Did the zip line tour through Chicklets in Hermosa, just south of the hotel. That was a hoot gliding through the trees.
Wish I could go back.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank curtsellshomes
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 1, 2006

I stayed here with my wife and friends who had a young baby and I must say I have stayed ina lot of Jaco hotels and please just do not bother looking any further. I gurantee a great vacation here at Club del mar, the 2 bedroom Condo's were great, we book our vacation through Costa Rica Holiday and they we great!!! Only a short stoll on the beach to town, just a great place if you are in jaco!!

• Stayed January 2005
12 Thank bexin
Seattle, WA
Reviewed November 7, 2005

While the rest of Jaco is a little dingy, Club del Mar is a real treasure. Situated just outside of Jaco, it is right on the beach with excellent surfing right in front. Every morning we woke up to scarlet macaws flying overhead.

Rooms were great, service was awesome.

• Stayed May 2005