“Naturally Exquisite” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Naturally Exquisite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is my second review of this hotel, so that must speak for itself. The first visit wowed me, and the second was just as wonderful. I can't decide which is best....the environment or the staff. Both are spectacular. The plants and fauna add to the charm. The staff is attentive, friendly, and diligent. Most impressive was the owner. He lovingly and meticulously cares for his guests and the property. Being at the end of the beach, it is secluded but close enough to town that you can easily take a stroll there or take a quick taxi. Also, its proximity makes it easy to enjoy the sites and adventures nearby. This place is what you come to Costa Rica for!!!

Room Tip: The noise from the trucks on the highway could be a problem.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank nasaunders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
saint louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great location with stunning sunsets at the south end of Jaco beach. Beautifully kept grounds with iguanas and tropical plants, helpful friendly staff, nice pool and a really fun beach for playing and boogie boarding. The highway is close so there is some street noise. To go to downtown Jaco you'll need a cab, but the desk staff will happily order it up and it's not expensive. The wifi works better in the public spaces than the rooms, but try your balcony... it worked for us. The condo unit we had was a little dark, but it's nice to have a small kitchen to be self sufficient when you like. The food at the restaurant was fresh and delicious... a little relaxed. Wine selection is decent for a tropical locale and the caipirinhas are fabulous. I think our favorite thing about this place is it has all the amenities you want, but it's not fancy and doesn't feel like a resorty resort. There aren't a lot of rules (pool is open whenever, sure they'll serve food on that patio). It feels comfortable, like home away from home.

Room Tip: upper level condo... in case there is torrential rain plus, we like having a balcony for the view...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wheaton, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

After reading many good things about this place I booked a room to celebrate our one year anniversary. The beach is amazing and the beach location proved to be what others had stated. The sunset was breath taking. We had already spent 6 wonderful days in the country and had not encountered a bad meal or hostile person. We ordered a chicken quesadilla after a long day of traveling and bit into grisle and fat. We had to spit it out. We returned it and ordered an acceptable hamburger. When we went to pay our bill it had not been removed and when I questioned this the bartender stated "We have been making quesadilla's all day and no one has complained", and he then referred me to what now appears to be one of the owners?
Phillip, an older gentlemen who sits at the bar all day, stated that he had in fact eaten the rest of my quesadilla and there was nothing wrong with it. Are you kidding me?
After a few minutes of explaining how I don't need a freebe and just don' t want to pay for something of such poor quality he eventually threw his hands up and said "Fine! Customer's always right" and I was given a credit.
Now I know why the bartender and staff don't go out of their way to be accomodating. The team is only as good as the coach. It's a shame that this hotel, with decent rooms and an amazing location could be so jaded by an ugly attitude. We took the free breakfast in the morning, which was only ok, and spent our dollars elsewhere for dinner.
Just a heads up, it's a great place as long as nothing is wrong or you have a concern. If you do, don't go to Phillip.
I also asked for a room very close to the beach since we were only there for 24 hours. They told me there were none available but the resort was deserted.

Room Tip: Pool area is small.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Danielle B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a week long stay at Club del Mar for a wedding. Excellent spot for a wedding, absolutely breathtaking!! Great location, near the town of Jaco, can take a long stroll down the beach to the town or a real quick cab ride. Great spot to surf, super close to zip-lining, 4 wheeling, mountain biking, and on-site yoga which was great! Definitely will return to Club del Mar! Staff was wonderful!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I just recently returned from a very relaxing week long vacation in Costa Rica. In addition to the fact that Costa Rica is an amazing place, my trip was even more wonderful due to my stay at Hotel Club del Mar. The service at the hotel was absolutely top notch. From the employees at the front desk to the maids to the grounds keepers, everyone was friendly and ready to help when needed. The rooms are spacious and impeccably clean. I had a view of the pool from my room which was only overshadowed by my beautiful view of the ocean. Clean rooms and ocean views aside, the best part about Hotel Club del Mar is its owner, Philip Edwardes. He makes everyone feel welcome. This was my first time in Costa Rica and I was traveling alone. I saw and/or talked to Philip every day of my stay at the hotel. As I was doing work in my “office”, I witnessed him treat every guest with kindness and gratitude. He treated all of the guests like they mattered so one was never really alone in the hotel. Beyond the certain level of awareness one should always have when traveling, I did not worry about anything. If you travel to Jaco or Playa Hermosa and you want that home away from home experience, I highly suggest that you stay at Hotel Club del Mar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Christa W
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Very nice and comfortable place since it is the last on the beach of Jaco, nice pool and the great surrounding areas
I recommend it as a family place or for couples that wanna be away but not too much from down town Jaco

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Ticorides
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Idyllic location at the south end of Jaco beach. Beautifully kept grounds, great staff, awesome pool, amazing beach. However - it's close to the highway, and there's a fair amount of road noise, especially the big trucks and their engine brakes, all night long. And the beds are rock-hard (we asked for an extra comforter to sleep on). Also, it's not close to downtown Jaco - a cab ride is required, tho it's only $4. Another nit - the wifi isn't overly strong - we had to lean over the balcony to get it sometimes. But in a nutshell - I'd go back there in a heartbeat :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple