“Loved the jacuzzi suite - nice location + pools”

Hotel Balcon del Mar
Ranked #24 of 42 Hotels in Jaco
grand rapids, minnesota
“Loved the jacuzzi suite - nice location + pools”
Reviewed April 4, 2008

Stayed here while on an EF tour of Costa Rica. I certainly can't complain. Hotel was full and they gave us a wonderful jacuzzi suite overlooking the beach. That suite was great. Wonderful large romantic king sized bed, bathroom, separate shower, and a nice large jacuzzi with a view of the beach. Also a great balcony. The whole suite was obviously redone and is great. I saw the full rnage of other rooms with our students. Some were nice, some average, and some, well lets just say they needed to be redone. The pools are nice. The breakfast restaurant is very nice and outdoors. The food was good and the staff there is nice. The reception desk staff were a bit cold and not real helpful. The porter was awesome - very helpful and friendly. As for the location, we enjoyed the beach - of course some safety tips are important with occasional rip tides. The surf school right down the beach is great. The kids loved surfing. All in all Jaco and the Balcon del Mar exceeded my expectations. I'd go there again as would all of my students!

• Liked — the beach and the jacuzzi suite
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
VERMONT
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Had a third floor walk up room that gave me a good view of the neighboring police department. The PD was quite active during my stay as one person drowned right in front of the hotel due to the riptides that rage unexpectantly. We witnessed several drunks being brought in for sobering up by police holding them down in the bed of a pickup. The rastafarian handcuffed to the bench out front added some leisurely local color. One evening we found the street closed off while Costa Rica CFI investigated the death of a prisoner next door. Due to the frequent opportunities to purchase drugs and converse with working girls, this might not be the best place for a family vacation.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The three handed jury rigging I had to do to lock my room
  • Stayed February 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Jaco hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 13, 2008

When you first drive up, you'll be impressed, but beyond that, you'll be ready to go.

We stayed here just one night and that was enough. On arrival we had to request a new room, since ours looked like a rock band had stayed there (broken window, musty smell, lumpy beds). Our next room was better, but okay at best. The main thing to note is the shower didn't even work! From the looks of it, I didn't really want to get in it anyway.

The desk staff was okay, but not the most friendly I've encountered. When asking for food recommendations, the guy actually suggested Subway. In hindsight, he was probably right, but still.

The pool seemed nice, but we didn't swim. The breakfast buffet was terrible and we ended up going to the Taco Bar in town instead. That was the only decent food we found by the way.

The only good thing I can really say about this place is the location. It's right across from the beach and next door to the police station, which is probably good in this nasty town.

Pass on this one altogether.

• Stayed March 2008
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We were unfortunate enough to stumble into this hotel whil walking down the beach. What a big mistake.

Way overpriced, dirty rooms, beat up showers, uncomfortable beds, faulty electronics. The rooms had stains on the floor and the walls. The beds were tiny and beat up with thin mattresses that had huge holes in the middle. The comforters smelled as if they hadn't been washed in years.

The water in the shower was horrendous! It smelled so bad it made the entire room stink. When we turned on the TV, it started shaking violently and making loud cracking sounds. We thought it was going to fall off the ceiling it was attached to.

We stayed at 4 different hotels in Costa Rica and this is the worst of any hotel any of us have ever stayed anywhere. You are much better off staying somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
alcapon03
Reviewed March 3, 2008

great hotel, big rooms, cold a/c big beds, nice pool, AWESOME PANCAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!!
very friendly people.

• Liked — Clean
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
costa rica
Reviewed July 30, 2007

This is a small hotel right in front the beach but not all the rooms have this option. It has a very clean swimming pool, rooms are comfortable, the price is OK.

When I got there I found they gave me a room in the "blind side" it means I have no chance to see the beach, I ask the guy and he told me something like "sorry, you should tell us you want that kind of room", I showed him my confirmation slip and clearly it said my room has a balcony in front the beach.

Well, after that he could send us to a not so bad room but the problem is why this things happens.... ?

Then I had a problem because my A/C remote control just stop working and we were virtually frozen in the room, I went to reception, they sent the maintenance guy but they did not have more remotes, son he fixed the temperature...it was really cold at night ....

• Liked — The breakfast is included, it is very good
  • Disliked — This is a good hotel that can avoid some problems easily but they do not do it
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed April 16, 2007

Let me just start off by stating that I did not choose to stay at this hotel. I went with a tour group to Costa Rica EF Tours booked this hotel for us for 2 nights on February 19th and the 20th, checking out on the 21st.

Driving Up: When the bus pulled up to the hotel, it seemed nice enough. The beach was extremely close to the hotel, which we all loved, and the water of the ocean was sooooo soooo warm, it was excellent.

Hotel Stay: The hotel is undergoing serious renovations. There were wires hanging down from the ceilings, which seemd like a safety hazrd, yet it was a foreign country. The reception was in a separate building. My roomates and I were given room 17. When we found our room, we realized it didn't have a door knob. In order to shut the door, you needed to lock the dead bolt, which posed a problem if someone else had the key, as this hotel doesn ot have key cards. The door was also extremely beat up with dents and scratches all over it, and it was made of cheap wood. The first thing that we noticed was the awful color. It was like a very ugly blue and it had scratches and scuffs and nicks and anything you could imagine, all over it. There was a balcony with an ocean view, and the door was extremely old and made a crashing sound if it hit the wall. We realized that there were 2 beds and 3 of us, b ut came to the realization that one of the beds was a trundell bed. and pulled out from under one of the other beds, which forced us to move the night stand. There was barely room to walk, let alone store our suitcases. There was a ton of furniture in the room, and it was all very cheezy. So how did we solve our problem? Well we took the night stand, the desk, 2 aphulstered chairs, and some other stupid piece of furniture and put it all out on the balcony so that we could have room for our suitcases. The curtain rods were rusty and gross. The curtains were always shut because they didn't open. We removed the curtains and put them out on the balcony too. Moving on to the bathroom, it was tiny, and just simply disgusting. The molding on the ceiling in the bathroom was falling off. The shower had no hot water or pressure. It was moldy and disgusting. The knobs for the shower were rusted and gross, and there were huge holes in the tile wall around the knobs. I will attach pictures later, and they will explain themselves. The room was tiled and it was extremely slippery if wet. There was no closet in the room. I was truly afraid to sleep on the bed, as there was something disgusting on them. It was a good thing that I packed an extra sheet just in case this happened. The pool was nice. It had a swim up bar that looked like it wasn't done, as the stools were just polls sticking up from the ground and there were wires dangling off the top of the bar. The jacuzzi was cold and was extremely poorly designed. The employees at the restaurant spoke little to no English, so if you don't know Spanish, you are SOL. Luckily we know Spanish and our teacher knows spanish too, so she interpereted for us a lot. As for the area not being safe, I didn't think it was that dangerous. If you went around the corner at night then yes because there are are a lot of bars and such, but the road directly across from the hotel is fine, or so it appeared. I will give credit where credit is due, as a lot of the other rooms that we saw were perfectly nice because they had been renovated or the hotel had added on or soemthing. However, there is still the chance of not getting a renovated room, so I highly suggest you stay away from this hotel. The hotel advertises its free internet access, and when I asked, the lady said yea hang on a second and got out of her chair. They let you behind the desk to use the internet. There is no internet room. Oh, and there are no phones in the rooms, and if you want to make a collect call to the US, you have to go to the front desk and use their phone. The staff was friendly for the most part. I will attach pictures soon, so be patient, but book another hotel. Jaco was absolutely beautiful. Don't miss it for the world. Stay at the Four Seasons.

• Liked — It was close to the beach!
  • Disliked — Everything Else!
  • Stayed February 2007