New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Villa Caletas
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
York, United Kingdom
“An expensive treat but well worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

My husband and I spent a few nights over Christmas at Villa Caletas whilst travelling around south america and Costa Rica. We had been on a hectic schedule for 2 weeks prior to arrriving at Villa Caletas on Christmas Eve, What a treat our room (35) was! We were slightly away from the main hotel foyer area with only one apartment below ius so we felt very secluded. Normally we would not stay at such an expensive hotel but we loved the spurlge.

Our room was huge, yes they are not brand new but we loved the individual style of the room, we had ceiling to floor windows (also a small balcony) with a view into the rain forest and the hotel beach in the distance. Our room had a seperate shower and a huge jaccuzi bath with views again of the rain forest. We enjoyed drinking the complimentary coffee on our balcony. Our bed was extremely confortable and there was ample storage.

We ate one evening meal in the restuarant, it was not our best or favourite meal throughout our trip but it was fine and it represented ok value for money. The outdoor seating area for our dinner was very pleasent.

We also used the complimentary computers in the Busines Area to check in for our flights etc which was very useful.

We walked down to the Villa Caletas private beach, we saw more wildlife on this walk then the rest of our time in Costa Rica! We saw a howler monkey, white nosed coati, a pair of scarlet macaws, toucans, iguanas and butterflies galore! The beach is lovely, pebbly and maybe not the best for swimming but quieter than the lovely but busy and shady swimming pool. You can order food and drink from the Villa's beach cafe on the beach. I would reccommend getting the 4x4 free shuttle back up to the hotel unless you want a really hard work out. The only negative comment would be that we came back up on the last scheduled 4x4 and then saw other guests returning an hour later when we would have prefered to have stayed o the beach for another hour.

All the staff we encountered were extremely friendly, polite and professional throughout our stay. We came back one evening to discover an ant infestation in our room, the 'pest control' staff came out straight away and although they had to come back a second time the dealt with this issue promptly and effectively. These ants were huge, but you are in the rain forrest so what do you expect!

Most of the other guests were American, quite a lot of families being Christmas and it was good to exchange travel stories.

When we checked out I had chilled out so much that I forgot some of my clothes! I telephoned the hotel one I had realised and they located my clothes and kept them for the wonderful Dimas Saravia who used twice for our transport. Dimas collected my clothes and returned them safely to me, Thank you!

Villa Caletas might be at the top end expense wise and we would have felt trapped if we were staying a week as we prefer to be less isolated but it really is a lovely and very romantic hotel.

• 5 of 5 stars
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
Greetings from Villa Caletas our dear friends!!

We thank you much for taking the time to write such a nice comment , it really makes us happy knowing that people leave our hotel feeling happy and with good memories.

Walking down to the beachcan be very rewarding as wildlife is plentiful and diverse. We are in the process of openign trails through the forest so that you can hike "inside" the forest and be very inmersed in nature. There will be 3 trails to start, , one going down towards the beach, and two more that you can do while you are already down at he beach. We are lucky to live and work in such a beautiful place, our own private biological reserve!!
Regarding the prices, we dont feel that we are in the top end expensive, there are many other places in the area that are similar or even more expensive, however I would like to know from you what was it that you felt was expensive, your comments are very important for us. Please feel free to email me any other comment or suggestions to help us improve our quality and service.
With our best wishes!!!

manager@villacaletas.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

My wife and I, wanted to share our experience with you during our recent stay at Villa Caletas. Villa Caletas first off, is a wonderful, magical place to stay in Costa Rica. The staff is so accommodating to all your needs and goes above and beyond to make your stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. We have been coming to Costa Rica for almost ten years and have stayed at some of the small and distinctive hotels of Costa Rica over the years. We have visited Villa Caletas a couple of times for drinks and dinner but had never stayed at the hotel. This year we decided to stay at Villa Caletas for the Christmas holidays. During our stay we received a message that our daughter was injured by mortar fire in Afghanistan. She is in the United States Army and is currently stationed in Afghanistan. You can only imagine this was a very disturbing call for us.

Kaydron assisted us in making calls to the Red Cross and was helpful with internet access. I can not say how wonderful and helpful of a person he was. Through our tears and fears, he quietly assisted with all of our communications back to the states. His supervisor, I apologize I can not recall her name, was a very pleasant and helpful too.

My wife took yoga the first couple of mornings and there she meet Anna. Christmas day we went to the beach and Anna greeted us in the morning with smiles and a complimentary foot massage. This of course made for a great Christmas day. The next morning after we received the news regarding our daughters situation, every time we saw Anna she was always extremely supportive and encouraging. She told us to celebrate that our daughter was alive and still with us. She was particularly helpful to my wife, Anna, offered a shoulder to cry on and was always encouraging. Anna was just such a bright ray of support and we will always be so grateful to her. She is only one year older than our daughter but wise beyond her years. Anna, is a person that we will never forget and we feel blessed we had the opportunity to have meet her.

Alexander (CS), waited on us many nights prior to our bad news and afterwards. He was so compassionate and kind. When we would smile, he would say "it's nice to see you smile". All the staff had an understanding that we were going through a very bad situation and words can not express how the staff made a horrible situation so much better. From the Concierge, to house cleaning, waite staff, bar staff, ect...I could just go on and on how remarkable they all are. Villa Caletas is beautiful for it's architecture and natural surroundings but the staff is the true beauty Villas Caletas!

In closing, we have and will continue to highly recommend Villas Caletas to all of our friends and family. Please extend our gratitude to your remarkable staff, you should be very proud of each and every one of them!

Pura Vida
Warmest Regards,

Mr. & Mrs. Johnson

For all others who are looking to stay at a very elegant, private paradise, I highly recommend that you take the opportunity to afford yourself a stay at this must see hotel. It has everything to offer from yoga, exercise room (which is lovely), spa, hot tub, private beach, an amazing must see infinity swimming pool, great restaurants. spectacular sunsets, incredible staff and the accomodations range from hotel rooms that are equal to none as well as private suites spread throughout the property with private pools.

We have traveled all through Costa Rica for many years and this is one of the most charming finds in Costa Rica! Plus if you like world class fishing, Los Suenos marina is very near by. On our last trip we got a Super Slam so for those of you that enjoy fishing, this is an ideal place to stay.

• 5 of 5 stars
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Dear friends, warm Greetings from Villa Caletas!!!

We thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review saying so many beautiful things, we not only appreciate it but makes us feel glad as we train our people hard all year round.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter and we pray for a prompt and full recovery; we wish your daughter the best in her full recovery and would like to see her someday visit Villa Caletas! Ana would do good for her recovery with some Yoga classes and massages.
I myself, personally, am very grateful with you for letting us know all about your stay, we will let everyone that works for Villa Caletas know about your kind email; this is the “gasoline” that we need to keep doing our jobs better every day so people will have good memories and would want to come back.

We remain at your service, If you ever come back , and we hope you do, and bring your daughter with you, we will be very happy to offer her a special treat !!!
Have a great day and thank you very much again!!!!!
Your friends at Villa Caletas,

chester, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

The rooms at this hotel are nice and it was an extra special treat to sit on our balcony and watch the macaws fly by and the toucans hop from tree to tree -- some of my best bird pics were taken from the deck of this hotel and not on my guided tours. The sunsets are spectacular and make sure you go to the ampitheater to enjoy this event. Drinks and food were so-so and expensive.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Dear friends, good morning!!

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. It would be very nice if we could have your feedback about the food and beverage, besides the pricing, was there something else you didnt like? We always listen very carefully to what our clients have to say about our services, we are always looking forward to improve our quality.Please feel free to contact me, I will be very happy to hear your comments,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Exceptional site with amazing view and great quality service. Very friendly and professional staff that provided us with a very personalized approach throughout our stay. Those were amazing vacations! Quality-price ratio is quite good for a 5 star hotel when you compare the rates of other 5 star hotels in the United States or Europe.

The beauty of the hotel location allowed us to spend some relaxing moments at this location. Food was very good, fresh and well priced. We will never forget breakfasts spent among tropical birds and the amazing view on the ocean and the bay. It was a fabulous trip.

1 Thank infomjr
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Good morning, warm regards from Villa Caletas!!!

It is with great pleasure that I read your comment about your stay in our hotel, thank you very much, we appreciate you letting us and everyone know how good could it be to visit Villa Caletas!!!
Definitely, we feel lucky to work in such a special place with such a special group of people. We have worked really hard throughout the year training our people to give the best customer service possible, so that you feel welcome and at home, we are your friends and we want your stay to be as beautiful, relaxing and fullfilling as possible.

Being at the top of the mountain makes this place peaceful and relaxing and a great place to observe wildlife, such as scarlet macaws, humpback whales(in season), crested guans, iguanas, toucans, snakes, and many many others, due in part by the great vision of the owner who bought the farm 20+ years ago decided to plant lots of native trees that could be used as food for animals, thus bringing lots of wildlife to the property.

We thank you much for taking a little time of your busy time to tell us about your visit and wish you the best in this New Year 2011!!

Your friends at Villa Caletas
Teaneck, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Just returned from 4 night stay during a family vacation with our 4 kids: teens and early 20s kids; everyone loved this spot. This is the right boutique hotel for you if you are used to staying at the best place.Setting is spectacular, rooms are wonderfully large and balconies afford some of the most majestic views on earth. The sunsets are a true highlight, do not miss going to the amphitheatre each evening of your stay to sip a drink and imbibe the intense beauty of this unusual place. The food at the restaurants was quite good, and not over-the-top expensive by NY standards. In fact, both the kitchen and dining staff were incredibly helpful with our assorted dietary restrictions. Kudos! The coffee in the rooms is great, just call the main desk when you wake up as I did each day and they will bring you milk gratis if you need it like I do. The pool is gorgeous but smallish, not really an all-day hang out spot--more like a place to unwind at the end of the day. And do not skip the private beach--it is worth the ride down and up the mountain just to see and experience the raw open beauty of this unique landscape.

We used this property as a base to explore Manuel Antonio, do ziplining and ATVing thru Gordon's terrific company of Adventure Tours (see my separate review). One evening we even caught a lovely classical guitar concert at the adjoining Zepher Place, for whatever reason they did not inform the guests about this, but I asked if anything was going on as prior reviews here said there are often events; so please ask and ask again when you check in. There are only 42 rooms here, and it feels very private. The remoteness referred to in other reviews is a PLUS, even the teens loved the climb back up in our vehicles at the end of our excursions-- it is a beautiful and short ride but you feel entirely separated from the ordinary. The bell staff was great, we met wonderful other guests staying here Christmas week too, and Anna’s yoga is a treat—how wonderful that one morning it was just me and my four kids sharing her class!

Villa Caletas is a terrific place and I can’t say enough how much we loved our stay. A great introduction to the treasures of Costa Rica. Just call and book it yourself; the company I used (like most Costa Rica wholesalers I have since learned from all the fellow travelers I spoke to this past week) charged us about double what it would have cost had I done this directly, which is so easy to do. Live and learn!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank NomadicNina
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, January 2, 2011
Dear Friends,

We are grateful with you for choosing Villa Caletas as your base hotel when exploring the Central Pacific Coast of Costa Rica.
We are more than glad to learn that you had a good time with your kids. This is just the right place to use as a base camp to start exploring all what the Central Pacific has to offer, from ziplining, to beach combing, atving, paragliding, scuba diving, horsebackriding, sportsfishing and there is a long list of oactivities that you may want to do while in the area, one thing is for sure, you wont get bored.

This is the time of the year where sunsets are seen gorgeous from our Greek style amphiteather, while enjoying a refreshing cold drink.
Regarding our restaurants, our chef Enrique is more than happy to accomodate his kitchen to help one enjoy even if one has dietary restrictions of any kind, we will always do our best to make everyone enjoy their visit to Villa Caletas and have a good time.
As you may know, there is a concert going on in Villa Caletas every month, we apologize for the miscomunication error of not letting you know about the one that was going on that day, eventhough you had the opportunity to enjoy it!
Regarding our yoga instructor, Ana, we feel that she is very knowledgeable and feel happy that you thouroughly enjoyed her class, definitely a great way to start your day in paradise.

We are really honored that you choose Villa Caletas among the rest of hotels in the area, and highly apreciate you taking the time to tell everyone about us.

A big hug from your friends from Villa Caletas!!
Oakland, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

The most amazing thing about being here was the sunset. We stayed there for 3 days and 2 nights. The room and bathroom was small, but the mirrors made it feel bigger. Staff was very nice and welcoming. We went when there was not a whole lot of business. We also took their shuttle down to their private beach and sleeping in the hammocks were wonderful. I think the only few downside was that the bed was not super comfortable and we got a lot of bugs while eating dinner at the restaurant balcony. I guess it was expected being that the hotel was built in the middle of the rain forest. Other than that, everything else was certainly beautiful...

1 Thank peace510
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, December 26, 2010
My dear friends

We thank you for taking the time to let everyone know about your great experience in Villa Caletas! This is the time of the year when sunsets are amazing. During full moon you can even see the sun setting in the west and the full moon rising in the west, something not easy to see elsewhere.
If you happen to read this comment, I would be very interested to hear more details from your room, so that we can work on them, like the bed. It would be good to know your room number.

Regarding the insects, we are definitely on a mountain priviledge by nature, where you can see a lot of interesting insects that are hard to see elsewhere like the giant walking sticks, praying mantis and even living fossils, like the giant cockroach that lives in the area and is from the time of the dinosaurs. We dont use chemicals but organic insecticides, and yes, sometimes leaving the door or windows open and the lights on can be an atraction for these little creatures than in most cases are totally harmless!
Have a happy New Year,

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

My husband and I got a Master Suite at Villa Caletas for our week long honeymoon. Everything was perfect. We loved our private infinity plunge pool. The staff was extremely accommodating and helped set up all of our excursions, which were so much fun! (White water rafting; chartered fishing; Manuel Antonio) But the resort was so nice and the food was so good I could have spent the whole week there without leaving. We saw toucans and coatis right on our patio! My tip would be to skip the town of Jaco, its was very dirty and sketchy. Overall, it was the perfect combination of a romance and adventure!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Good morning dear friends!!

We are delighted to hear that you had a great experience in Villa caletas, we also think its a great combination between romance and adventure. Its the perfect place for a private, secluded and very romantic honeymoon, but also ideal for all kinds of adventure tours that can be taken from the property. Wildlife here is prolific, toucans, scarlett macaws, smaller wild cats, raccoons, white nose coatis, birds of different kinds and even humpback whales can be see during the whaling season.
We thank you for having spent your time in Villa Caletas, we are grateful and happy that you took back with you good memories!!!
All the best from your friends in Villa Caletas!!!

manager@villacaletas.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Hotel Pumilio
#1 of 45 in Jaco
4.5 of 5 stars 426 reviews
Aparthotel Vista Pacifico

Been to Villa Caletas? Share your experiences!