“Beautiful but way to quiet!”
Review of Villa Caletas

Villa Caletas
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco
“Beautiful but way to quiet!”
Reviewed February 19, 2007

My first impression of this hotel was wow. It is absolutely beautiful. Birds everywhere, sweeping views of the ocean and surrounding valleys and a gorgeous infinity pool. The villas are really beautiful the entire place oozes romance. However, I was on this trip with a friend so while the above is perfect for a honeymooner, not so great for two girls looking to have a bit more action. The restaurant is really expensive as are the drinks.

The whole time we were there everyone spoke in whispers and you could honestly hear a pin drop. The hotel is really remote our ride from the main road to the hotel took almost 15 minutes. Then from the main road into town you are looking at another 10-15 minutes. When you stay at the hotel you are really held captive unless you have a car. The closet town, Jaco was not my favorite place either. A little run down and not a ton to do.

• Liked — The hotel grounds and views
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank djr76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
moscow
Reviewed February 4, 2007

In continuation to the previous comments I can add that rooms 34, 31 and 32 in the reception building are situated directly above some water pump. As a result you cannot sit peacefully on the veranda and enjoy the view: the sound of the pump will drive you crazy. The room 5 to which we moved had perfect views and was very peaceful, but infested with bugs. I do not agree that this is a sine qua non for a tropical forest accomodation: we stayed in other hotels in CR, surrounded by lavish vegetaion, there were no bugs in the rooms. IMHO, the hotel should take care of this. Someone wrote that the hotel has only 34 rooms. Well, after you exclude rooms with bugs, water pump under the veranda and construction nearby, the choice becomes even more limited. The Mirador restaurant is one of the best in the area and the view from the pool is fantastic. The service is very friendly.

• Liked — views, food
  • Disliked — poor maintenance
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pupsa
Atlanta
Reviewed January 14, 2007

We stayed here Dec. 30-jan.1 and had a great time !!
We stayed in a junior Suite(22) You wouldnt believe the money
these people must have spent to make this such a
magnificent place.The walkway to get to our suite was like an entry to a castle,rock work,arches,iron gates,tropical plants galore. The view from our patio was spectacular,we saw many toucans,Scarlet marcaws,these come early,but you dont want to
waste your time sleeping.When we arrived I was impressed
that they had set up the beds for our children,in a impreesive way,
without even having to ask!! Before I go on two people imparticular on their staff went out of their way to make our stay great, randall and carlos V..Thank You. Thank You.
The pool, the sunsets, WOW.
The New years Eve Celebration,I was impressed and im in the
catering business. Food was great and a lot to choose from.
My daughters 10 and 13 had a great time,and thank you so much
for going beyond the call of duty on the fireworks show.
the Zephyr palace where it was held,well you would have to see it to believe it. The only suggestions I have for next year,is include an open bar , It was hard to get a drink and dont charge so much
for the wine and champaigne, i was looking forward to those
but avoided them as a result of the cost,and make the buffet double sided so we can get through quickly.
Their are only 35 rooms and suites at villa caletas,with all the
attention to detail, they could have built 500, im so glad
to have places like this in the world,I will never forget it.
Thanks to all involved with Villa Caletas.Chrisarcher2001@YAHOO.COM

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank travelcr-7
New York
Reviewed January 11, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon for four nights and were terribly disappointed, since while the hotel charged luxury prices, it offered -- at best -- mediocre service.

We were in master suite #29 and the room was pretty basic and as other reviews have noted, the plunge pool was freezing and the bathroom lacked soap, shampoo and conditioner. We also spent four sleepless nights on the mattress that we can only determine was made of cement.

We had purchased a honeymoon package that in hindsight I would strongly discourage anyone from doing, as every time we mentioned that something was "included" we were treated with outright disdain. Our included "romantic candlelit dinner with French Champagne" had them bringing out a dusty bottle that was not featured on the menu and lacked any noticeable fizz. We were also told that we could only order certain items on the menu, otherwise we would be charged extra.

We happened to be at the hotel for New Years Eve, which meant the hotel had automatically charged us for dinner buffet that night at a cost of $120 a person. We were escorted into a newly constructed Greek-style temple on the hotel grounds, resembling something from MTV's "My Super Sweet Sixteen" only to realize we would be seated at a table with 10 people we didn't know. Not that we don't like meeting people, but we were hoping to be able to have our New Years Eve be a romantic affair.

We were automatically pushed a wine list upon sitting down at the table, which we then realized meant the $120 did not include alcohol. We found this shocking so we put down the wine list onto the table, only to have the waiter pick it up again and put it back in my husband's hand! The wine was an additional $80 and champagne was $400! This is outrageous for any place, and we decided to leave. Whereby we found out that the hotel restaurants and room service were not available that night because of the party. As none of this was communicated to us in advance, we were not able make alternate plans.

In short - this is a not place where you are going to feel pampered, and you cannot expect to be given the options or service you might expect for the prices they charge. Another example is that when we entered our room, there was not a single acknowledgement it was our honeymoon. For us this should have been a red flag for how the rest of the stay was going to proceed.

We dealt with the multitude of bugs in the room, accepting it was part of being in the jungle, but we just could not excuse the rest of the issues we faced at this hotel. My advice to fellow travelers would be to come to the hotel to enjoy a drink at sunset - they are spectacular and then go back to another hotel that gives you value for your money.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank eblan
Los Angeles, Ca
Reviewed January 5, 2007

We have stayed at this wonderful property on three diferent trips(one year they were sold out). The person who wrote about villa #20 is right on the money, it is the best one on the property with a fish pond and the pool get's sun so it's not so cold.

Villa #16 is also quite nice but it's a workout everytime you come or go as it is situated down what seems like a thousand stairs but the privacy is well worth the hike.

I think the food is bad, but with everything else being so great it just doesn't seem to matter.

I highly recomend this property.
Michael McKeon

• Liked — Amazing location
  • Disliked — food
  • Tips/Secrets — Only book master suites
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mikey3600
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2006

We stayed a Villa Caletas expecting alot more. We were told there was a beach. The beach was totally unswimmable. The views were beautiful. There were many bugs in our first room. They even had to put in a special bug machine. Our second rooom was cleaner and nice with a freezing private plunge pool. I quess I was just expecting more. There was absolutely nothing to do at the property. We spent quite a bit of money on the room. I did not find the food good or bad. The prices were steep for Costa Rica. There were no extra amenties in the room. We would up go to Maneul Antonio by cab every day. The people that work there are very nice. My 2nd time to Costa Rica and my first disappointment.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank csize21890
New Orleans, La
Reviewed December 13, 2006

I read all the whining about this place from people who really should be staying at the Marriot on the beach or St. Louis or Des Moines. The only thing that sucked about this hotel was the over-abundance of ugly Americans in their stupid souvenir T-shirts with iguanas on them ( "I would never come to this country if it wasn't my daughters wedding"). Seriously, stay home and quit making the world hate us.
This was my first return to this hotel after about ten years. I don't know where to start. Bugs? What? Are you kidding? You could spray the room daily and knock down the spiders, but they will back the next day. Why stay here if you don't want to see the rainforest in as much luxury as is possible, stay home.
Ok , I am done ranting. But seriously, the place is great. If you care about the price, don't go. I found it cheap compared to most my trips.
So we stayed in Master Suite 20. It was great. On our first night we saw a newly hatched pit viper by our fish pond. The next morning (and each one after that) a flock of Toucans in our trees. We had a walking stick hanging out by our door. We saw Iguanas, Coatimundi, tree frogs, amazing spiders, scarlet macaws, butterflies...magnificient.
The beach...yeah, not a swimming beach but gorgeous.
The food.. I would argue the opposite what everyone else posts. Breakfast and lunch rather mediocre. Dinner, cheap and decent. $35 a person includes an appetizer and desert. One night we made the mistake of taking a taxi to Jaco ( a hellhole), for a $25 rountrip taxifare...unlike the $50 others report...to be treated to basically the Costa Rica version of TGI Friday food for maybe half the price of Villa Caletas. yum yum.
I travel a LOT. Whatever this properties shortcomings maybe, if you communicate what you need to the staff, you will be quite pleased. Initially, I would have said that the views are the best part of this property. However, after returning home, I would have to say that the staff is the most valuable asset. Thanks William, Alian and all of you.
If you book room 20, consider the following which was not an issue for us. Room 20 is directly above construction of some condos that they are developing. On weekends it is not an issue, On weekdays, they get going before 7am, and if you are looking for the peaceful sounds of birds and fountains in the morning, I would ask for another room.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sebekdoxy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Hotel Pumilio
Hotel Pumilio
#1 of 41 in Jaco
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort

Been to Villa Caletas? Share your experiences!