“Beautiful and unique!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Jose
“Beautiful and unique!”
Reviewed October 7, 2006

I spent two nights recently at Villa Caletas and absolutely loved it. The hotel is unique with views that are unmatched in many surrounding hotels and many hotels in Costa Rica for that matter. I disagree with the reviews about the food - we ate all of our meals there and thought the food was amazing (would highly recommend the coconut shrimp dish). The beauty of this hotel lies in the uniqueness and the fact that they have kept a lot of the natural beauty. Therefore, there are going to be 'animals' but that's all part of Costa Rica and the adventure.

• Liked — View and the service
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are looking for a big resort, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for adventure, natural beauty and amazing views, this is a place that will 'wow' you!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank costarica1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Syr.,N.Y.
Reviewed September 27, 2006

If you are looking for a romantic place to stay this is it. We stayed in room 20 and had our own pool, garden with fish pond , large cottage like room with a view from every room. Very clean and nicely decorated and the view!

The staff was helpful and you need not leave your room for a thing. Room service was excellent. We ate on site and found the food very good. Service at dinner though seemed to go down hill after you were served your entree. I waited ten minutes for a glass of wine and ten more to have my finished plate removed. Our waiter and another seemed to busy waiting on another table. I don't know why it took the two of them plus a buss boy to wait on the other couple but it did. This kind of service happened both nights.

• Liked — The room, sunset and all the views
  • Disliked — Wait staff at dinner.
  • Tips/Secrets — Take the bus to the beach, make time to watch the sunset on the terrace.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fooman
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed September 27, 2006

We stayed at Villa Caletas the first week of May which is the first week of the off season. It never rained so it was perfect weather. As for the bugs....we saw some....not that big of a deal. I usually get attacked by bugs where ever I go and I never got bit. My boyfriend did get a bite on his face the last day we were there which he said was uncomfortable but not that big of a deal. He has since made a full recovery :)

The pool is amazing!! The food was great. My only recommendation is don't stay there too long. We stayed 7 days 8 nights which was about 2 days too long. Since you are a little bit isolated you start to get sick of the same food everyday. It would be great to drive to the Tabacon hot springs and stay a few days at their resort. That is what we will do the next time we go. YOU MUST DO THE ZIP LINE TOUR! We also did the crocodile river tour. Fabulous!! The private beach is rocky with tide pools but has wonderful hammocks under the trees!! Loved it! I highly recommend this hotel. Its beautiful, private, staff was wonderful, relaxing, eclectic, romantic, and quiet. Exactly what I needed to unwind from my very stressful job. This is a resort you can not miss and I can't wait to return!

• Liked — Its warm pacific breezes, pool, hotel grounds, and sunsets.
  • Disliked — Food and drinks are little expensive
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay the first week of the off season. Rooms are cheeper and crowds are smaller.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank love2relax
california
Reviewed August 22, 2006

Family of 4, A mothers point of view, traveled with a 7and 11 year old. Costa Rica in General is such an awsome place how do you begin?We stayed from july 28th-Aug 6th 2006, but only 3 days at the Villa Caletas(as we had planned)we were not sure what to expect after reading the reviews. But we were quite pleased the reviews were right about the food it is a bit pricey. and is just Ok, but you do get a lot of food. We paid around 150usd a night. for dinner (we did that because it takes about 7 min just to get down the drive way of the hotel, not complaining. It just seemed easier and safer with the kids. Driving at night could be tricky especially with the rain that is not predicablel. The road to the beach is an adventure in its self, You defintly need 4x4. I am not sure if the beach is even swim abel? But it sure is nice. The pool is beautiful and has awsome sunsets and was never crowded I dont know why? also you will do a lot of walking and stair climbing depending on where you stay, make sure if you need handicap assistance that they even offer it. Also a lot of bugs at night so make sure you bring your bug spray! But what else could you expect look where you are at! Overall we had a great time the grounds are gorgeous the view are spectacuar the staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. PURA VIDA
P.S I want to say thank you to trip advisor and to everyone who writes a review. You make my trip planning just that much more easier Thanks

• Liked — Clean Rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — If driving your car to the beach make sure it is 4x4
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank family6pack
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed August 18, 2006

We have just come back from Costa Rica and as part of our tour we had a five day stay at this hotel. From the moment we arived it was the little touches that made all the difference. (Cold towel upon arrival and iced lemon tea). We had a junior suite (26) and to wake up in the morning and look out onto the wonderful views was just amazing. I disagree with the other reviewer over the food. Here in England at a hotel such as this you would find it very hard to get a three course meal for 35usd. (Around 18 gbp)
Thank you to everyone at Villa Claetas for such a wonderful stay.

• Liked — excellent overall
  • Disliked — going past all the giant frogs on the path when it had been raining!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hollow
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a five day stay at Villa Caletas and my reviews are mixed. Our master suite was beautiful and the view from the room was spectacular. ( I suggest suite #20. It's the largest.) The room and all the hotel ammenities were clean and comfortable. We enjoyed several spa treatments and thought that the staff was quite professional. Our only complaint about the hotel was the food. We had read other reviews which warned of the dining situation at the hotel. Unfortunately, it was all true. The food left much to be desired and was way overpriced. The hotel is about one mile up a curvy mountain road, so traveling outside the hotel for every meal is unreasonable. Nearby Jaco, a surfer town, doesn't offer many dining choices either. We suggest the hotel for a long weekend and nothing more. ( We left a day before we were to check out and moved to the Intercontinental near San Jose. )

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed June 4, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Villa Caletas for a couple of nights in the middle of May, 2006. The location is one of a kind and the view is picturesque. The first time you drive to get to the hotel – you may want to drive during the daylight…It is a narrow, winding, up hill road. But the view will take your breath away.

We stayed in the standard deluxe room w/ocean view. It was close to the main building. The room was nicely appointed and had everything we needed, but do not expect Marriott amenities. It is an older hotel, but had that nice charm to it. And yes, there are some bugs in the room – but you are in the middle of a jungle!!! This hotel won our hearts comparing with Marriott (we stayed there for 3 nights before getting to Villa Caletas).

We loved the infinity pool. It never seemed crowded.

As you have already read in the previous reviews, the prices are very high for Costa Rican standards.

We liked the breakfast, the lunch and dinner were just ok.

The worst part was the massage. The most beautiful setting that anybody can wish for but the masseur was chewing bubble gum the whole time… Here you are, trying to relax, enjoy the jungle serenity, but instead you hear that chewing gum sound. How awful! I thought the masseur was not experienced either. I thought that there is no way that somebody can ruin the massage, but after this one…

We arranged one excursion from the hotel. The Arenal Volcano w/Tobacon hot springs ($100 per person). It was about 12-13 hour excursion. It took about 4 hours to get there on a bumpy/windy road but when you get there – it seemed worth it. We loved the hot springs. I wished we were able to stay there overnight. The excursion included lunch and dinner. We enjoyed meeting all the people on the excursion. It was fun.

Overall, I would recommend staying at this hotel if you are in this area.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank TravellerVA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Hotel Pumilio
Hotel Pumilio
#1 of 41 in Jaco
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort

Been to Villa Caletas? Share your experiences!