“Not thrilled”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
dallas
Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a five day stay at Villa Caletas and my reviews are mixed. Our master suite was beautiful and the view from the room was spectacular. ( I suggest suite #20. It's the largest.) The room and all the hotel ammenities were clean and comfortable. We enjoyed several spa treatments and thought that the staff was quite professional. Our only complaint about the hotel was the food. We had read other reviews which warned of the dining situation at the hotel. Unfortunately, it was all true. The food left much to be desired and was way overpriced. The hotel is about one mile up a curvy mountain road, so traveling outside the hotel for every meal is unreasonable. Nearby Jaco, a surfer town, doesn't offer many dining choices either. We suggest the hotel for a long weekend and nothing more. ( We left a day before we were to check out and moved to the Intercontinental near San Jose. )

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 4, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Villa Caletas for a couple of nights in the middle of May, 2006. The location is one of a kind and the view is picturesque. The first time you drive to get to the hotel – you may want to drive during the daylight…It is a narrow, winding, up hill road. But the view will take your breath away.

We stayed in the standard deluxe room w/ocean view. It was close to the main building. The room was nicely appointed and had everything we needed, but do not expect Marriott amenities. It is an older hotel, but had that nice charm to it. And yes, there are some bugs in the room – but you are in the middle of a jungle!!! This hotel won our hearts comparing with Marriott (we stayed there for 3 nights before getting to Villa Caletas).

We loved the infinity pool. It never seemed crowded.

As you have already read in the previous reviews, the prices are very high for Costa Rican standards.

We liked the breakfast, the lunch and dinner were just ok.

The worst part was the massage. The most beautiful setting that anybody can wish for but the masseur was chewing bubble gum the whole time… Here you are, trying to relax, enjoy the jungle serenity, but instead you hear that chewing gum sound. How awful! I thought the masseur was not experienced either. I thought that there is no way that somebody can ruin the massage, but after this one…

We arranged one excursion from the hotel. The Arenal Volcano w/Tobacon hot springs ($100 per person). It was about 12-13 hour excursion. It took about 4 hours to get there on a bumpy/windy road but when you get there – it seemed worth it. We loved the hot springs. I wished we were able to stay there overnight. The excursion included lunch and dinner. We enjoyed meeting all the people on the excursion. It was fun.

Overall, I would recommend staying at this hotel if you are in this area.

2  Thank TravellerVA
Reviewed May 29, 2006

This is a gorgeous location. The rooms were so unique as we felt like we had our own little house in the rain forest. A/c worked great and employees were nice and gracious. Jaco is a fabulous surfer village with great restaurants and a grocery store.
I ran into trouble making reservations over the internet. They had me booked for one night more than I had planned and it took 2 meetings with the manager and a letter in which I had to detail my experience to get a refund. They determined their site was getting intercepted by a 3rd party agency because I explained and showed them that making reservations the way I did online was my only option. Make sure you are booking with the hotel directily!
Beware that the beach is horrible and you're at the mercy of the hotel shuttle to get you there and back. The food is bad and extremely overpriced (even water is $2 a bottle!) The biggest rip off is the $50 cab ride too and from the town of Jaco. The pool is beautiful but only about 6 chairs at a time get sun and there's only about 12 chairs total. Only book the most expensive stand alone villas if you can sleep through the gang of frogs that will mate in your pool all night. If you have a car, this place is ideal. If you don't have a car and you only stay a couple nights, you're in great shape. But if you don't have a car and you want to use this as home base to explore this part of the country, you are making the wrong choice.

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank wileySanDiego
Reviewed May 21, 2006

This is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in, and I run luxury tours for a living...

First off, yes the food is not great. It is more than edible and highly overpriced by Costa Rican standards. It did not detract from our stay though, and we just ordered a main course and no starters or desserts as the portions were immense. Thus, our meals were less than $20 each. They did do a very good beef tenderloin. It seemed the simpler the dish, the better the food.

Our private villa was amazing. We had a breath-taking view and spent lots of time watching the scarlet macaws fly by. There were also toucans sitting on the trees outside our room for hours. The whirlpool was clean and had massage jets and was very spacious.

The hotel allowed for lots of privacy and is a little romantic slice of heaven. The food is disappointing, prices are through the roof, but we loved every minute of our stay!

4  Thank kaiyal
Reviewed May 18, 2006

This was my first trip to Costa Rica. I thought that getting rooms for $85/night was on the high side so paying $120/night sounded extravagent. I've stayed at 5 star resorts so I'm not looking for the lowest priced room to stay at but it seemed like $120 was a lot to pay. I was wrong. The room was the nicest out of 4 places we stayed in Costa Rica. The view alone from the bar and amphitheater is worth the $120 not to mention from the Infinity edge pool. I can only guess how much money was spent developing that resort which is off the main highway and is probably 1000 ft above sea level. We got look down on Los Suenos where there is a Marriott resort. We didn't eat in the restaurant after reading the reviews and one of my friends that stayed at Los Suenos confirmed the reviews on eating at their restaurant...high price, beautiful room, average food, and slow service. There were two weddings while we were there and mostly Americans staying there. You have to drive to get into town but who would want to...you could easily stay there for two days and enjoy the property and views. I wouldn't mind staying in one of the private villas and paying their off season price.

3  Thank JimPFairOaksCA
Reviewed April 24, 2006

Just got back from a three week journey through Costa Rica with my girlfriend. We scheduled our two nights at Villa Caletas right in the middle of the trip because we knew we'd need some luxury accomadations after staying at some budge hotels on the beach. After two nights at the hotel, we left with mixed feelings.

I think people on this website who review Villa Caletas have a tendency to be rather hard on it because they have such high expectations for it. Also, I think for Costa Rica standards it's an excessively expensive hotel, and people feel they should get their money's worth. My expectations for Villa Caletas were certainly set high, and as far as the aesthetics of the hotel, they were met if not exceeded. At the surface, this hotel looks gorgeous. Designed in a French Colonial style, it's perched high atop a mountain that overlooks the Pacific. The views are unparalleled, especially the sunset each night. It has an infinity pool that appears to run right into the Pacific. The grounds are well manicured with wild exotic flowers and it seemed like there was a soothing sound of a fountain almost every corner I turned. I mean, it is really a gorgeous hotel.

The service at the hotel is incredible. Any time I walked by an employee of the hotel they would stop smile (genuinely) and greet me. It was actually a little bit bizarre at times to be honest, but at the same time nice. Any thing I wanted, they would get me. Our room was wonderful (we had a villa) and it was nice to wake up staring at the Pacific every morning. The spa was great--got a massage that was reasonable compared to US standards.

My only real complaint about Villa Caletas is the food. Before going on this trip, I read a lot of reviews on this hotel that slammed the food at this hotel. In my mind, I figured that these people were just food snobs who were looking for something horrible to say about this hotel. Wow, I was wrong. I was utterly disappointed. Mind you, I am not a food snob, but I do appreciate a really good meal. I knew the food was going to be expensive, but my girlfriend and I had designated that dinner as the big romantic dinner of the trip. The first thing that struck us as ridiculous was how vague the menu was. It gave almost no description of what you were ordering. Be sure to have your server describe in detail what your ordering, or you may find them bringing something completely different than what you expected.

To make a long story short (because my review it dragging), we left the dining room disappointed. Did it ruin our stay at Villa Caletas? Absolutely not. I recommend this hotel, but be sure to plan only one night at their restaurant. If you go eat in Jaco, I recommend eating at a place called Hicaco. It's right on the beach, has reasonable prices, and you can get an amazing piece of fish.

• Stayed: April 2006
14  Thank chicago6
Reviewed April 16, 2006

my husband and i stayed all over costa rica this is an awesome hotel.eeach little villa is all by itself very private and romantic.most have there own pool"beautiful pools".very lush with beautiful floral everywhere.if your looking for a special place with for you and a loved one this is it.the spa is the best and ive been to lots!

• Stayed: February 2004
3  Thank lori c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Hotel & Club Punta Leona
Hotel & Club Punta Leona
#1 of 2 in Punta Leona

Been to Villa Caletas? Share your experiences!