“Should have stayed one more day”
Review of Villa Caletas

Villa Caletas
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fair Oaks, California
“Should have stayed one more day”
Reviewed May 18, 2006

This was my first trip to Costa Rica. I thought that getting rooms for $85/night was on the high side so paying $120/night sounded extravagent. I've stayed at 5 star resorts so I'm not looking for the lowest priced room to stay at but it seemed like $120 was a lot to pay. I was wrong. The room was the nicest out of 4 places we stayed in Costa Rica. The view alone from the bar and amphitheater is worth the $120 not to mention from the Infinity edge pool. I can only guess how much money was spent developing that resort which is off the main highway and is probably 1000 ft above sea level. We got look down on Los Suenos where there is a Marriott resort. We didn't eat in the restaurant after reading the reviews and one of my friends that stayed at Los Suenos confirmed the reviews on eating at their restaurant...high price, beautiful room, average food, and slow service. There were two weddings while we were there and mostly Americans staying there. You have to drive to get into town but who would want to...you could easily stay there for two days and enjoy the property and views. I wouldn't mind staying in one of the private villas and paying their off season price.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank JimPFairOaksCA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 24, 2006

Just got back from a three week journey through Costa Rica with my girlfriend. We scheduled our two nights at Villa Caletas right in the middle of the trip because we knew we'd need some luxury accomadations after staying at some budge hotels on the beach. After two nights at the hotel, we left with mixed feelings.

I think people on this website who review Villa Caletas have a tendency to be rather hard on it because they have such high expectations for it. Also, I think for Costa Rica standards it's an excessively expensive hotel, and people feel they should get their money's worth. My expectations for Villa Caletas were certainly set high, and as far as the aesthetics of the hotel, they were met if not exceeded. At the surface, this hotel looks gorgeous. Designed in a French Colonial style, it's perched high atop a mountain that overlooks the Pacific. The views are unparalleled, especially the sunset each night. It has an infinity pool that appears to run right into the Pacific. The grounds are well manicured with wild exotic flowers and it seemed like there was a soothing sound of a fountain almost every corner I turned. I mean, it is really a gorgeous hotel.

The service at the hotel is incredible. Any time I walked by an employee of the hotel they would stop smile (genuinely) and greet me. It was actually a little bit bizarre at times to be honest, but at the same time nice. Any thing I wanted, they would get me. Our room was wonderful (we had a villa) and it was nice to wake up staring at the Pacific every morning. The spa was great--got a massage that was reasonable compared to US standards.

My only real complaint about Villa Caletas is the food. Before going on this trip, I read a lot of reviews on this hotel that slammed the food at this hotel. In my mind, I figured that these people were just food snobs who were looking for something horrible to say about this hotel. Wow, I was wrong. I was utterly disappointed. Mind you, I am not a food snob, but I do appreciate a really good meal. I knew the food was going to be expensive, but my girlfriend and I had designated that dinner as the big romantic dinner of the trip. The first thing that struck us as ridiculous was how vague the menu was. It gave almost no description of what you were ordering. Be sure to have your server describe in detail what your ordering, or you may find them bringing something completely different than what you expected.

To make a long story short (because my review it dragging), we left the dining room disappointed. Did it ruin our stay at Villa Caletas? Absolutely not. I recommend this hotel, but be sure to plan only one night at their restaurant. If you go eat in Jaco, I recommend eating at a place called Hicaco. It's right on the beach, has reasonable prices, and you can get an amazing piece of fish.

• Stayed April 2006
14 Thank chicago6
Marble Falls, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2006

my husband and i stayed all over costa rica this is an awesome hotel.eeach little villa is all by itself very private and romantic.most have there own pool"beautiful pools".very lush with beautiful floral everywhere.if your looking for a special place with for you and a loved one this is it.the spa is the best and ive been to lots!

• Stayed February 2004
3 Thank lori c
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed April 3, 2006

What a beautiful little hotel. It was elegant, the service was excellent, the spa was outstanding, the food was superior, the rooms were superb, the views were incredible...what more do you want? We'd go back in a minute! We stay at Westin, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton and all the other first class hotels routinely, but this special little hotel, Villa Caletas, has all of them beat.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank tvkelly
Avon, Colorado
Reviewed March 28, 2006

My boyfriend and I had planned a trip to Cancun for 11/5-12/05, 3 weeks prior to our trip Hurricane Katrina hit the coast and devastated the Cancun area. We scrambled to make alternative arrangements and found some decent airfare to Costa Rica (a place we had both also wanted to go). At this late date, we went online to investigate. We had planned to stay the 1st night in San Jose (ended up staying closer to the airport at a local B&B type of place which was very nice), 3 nts at Jaco Beach and 2 nts at Manuel Antonio. I had been reading up on all the area properties on TripAdvisor and other sites and was interested in Villa Caletas. Several of the reviews I read said it was over priced and isolated so we chose to head for Jaco proper. When we drove to Jaco Beach for our 3 night stay at Hotel Cocal and Casino, we found it to be a run down (being renovated) Motel 6ish looking place. Our hearts sank and we cancelled right then. We went down the road to the Best Western which was better, but full of families with kids (noisy) - and again looking like it was on Colfax in Denver. We were so disappointed with the "dirty" appearance of Jaco and the shape of the beach front properties, we drove back to where we had seen the sign for Hotel Villa Caletas. This was the perfect place for us! They showed us two rooms which were both gorgeous. They offered us a decent rate (just slightly more than the in-town properties)so we booked it right then (we were lucky they had availability, we realize). It was very romantic, peaceful and beautiful. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. The views were spectacular. Our favorite spot was the outdoor restaurant above the small ampitheater. From there we enjoyed breakfast every morning and soaked in the sunset over a light dinner and cocktails one evening. Perfect! We enjoyed a very gourmet dinner in the more formal restaurant on another night which was delicious and beautifully presented. The guest room was spacious with pale yellow/gold walls, dark wood furniture, a unique octagonly shaped wall window and a patio from which to enjoy all the flowers, wildlife and ocean view. Lush jungle all around, monkeys in the trees and gorgeous tropical flowers - the smell was delicious and the ocean breeze soothing. The infinity pool looked like a great place to hang out, but we were too busy sight seeing to stay there. It was a short drive in our rental car to all the local attractions. Just down the road a mile or so, was another of our favorite places, Pura Vida, botanical gardens. This was a bit of a drive along a steep dirt road up to a spacious, green, modern yet very Costa Rican motif restaurant and gift shop surrounded by beautiful gardens filled with tropical trees, flowers,toucans and two waterfalls. Highly recommend this place too! Another day we drove into Jaco, about 2 miles up the road and took the gondola ride up into the jungle to observe the natural wildlife and a small exhibit featuring the jungle snakes and frogs as well as more tropical flowers (I was too chicken to try the tree canopy!). It was a most romantic stay and Hotel Villa Caletas will live fondly in our memories forever! (We are definitely hoping to get back there one day - so many beautiful interesting places to see in this world though!) Will try to get our beautiful pics to accompany this review soon. It is a very special and beautiful place.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank Font
California
Reviewed March 22, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights for our honeymoon and absolutely fell in love with this place. Our Master Suite had a beautiful view of the ocean with our own swimming pool. We couldn't get over how gorgeous the grounds were and all the awesome wildlife and surrounding jungle! Everyone we encountered was so friendly and helpful. I don't normally write reviews like this, but I just had to give my opinion after reading so many negative comments about this wonderful treasure! I didn't enjoy Jaco at all, but I will definitely go back to Villa Caletas for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank sbfinlay
Minnesota
Reviewed March 22, 2006

We just returned from Costa Rica and a two night stay at Villa Calletas. We wish it was longer. Unique resort with wonderful views. Our room had a direct view to the ocean and beautiful sunsets. We thought the food was also excellent. The portions were more than I can typically eat, but it was all very well prepared and fresh. I understand they have a new chef. I especially liked the fact that Toucans visited the tree in front of our balcony every morning. We will be returning!

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank Bubbles2055
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Hotel Pumilio
Hotel Pumilio
#1 of 41 in Jaco
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion

Been to Villa Caletas? Share your experiences!