“Perfect and Amazing”

Villa Caletas
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A one of a kind experience.

A must stay for any seasoned traveler

I would recommend Villas Caletas to my closest friends and loved family members

Where else do people gather each sunset just to have the perfect mojito or margarita just to celebrate life!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank eagleheart222
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Friend, Thank you so much. We really appreciate your glowing comments on the Hotel !!
Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

There are newer reviews for Villa Caletas

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent 9 nights in Costa Rica and 2 of them at Villa Caletas. My sister had her wedding there and we had a great time. The infinity pool was great to relax in during the day and the hot tub was nice even thought it wasn't very warm. Our room was great, it had nice floors and a great balcony. I think our room was called a Standard Deluxe. The website said "Partial" Ocean View but we had a fantastic view in Room 1. The only downside as compared to other upscale hotels we stayed at in Costa Rica was not having an included breakfast and the price of the food items was high because of the lack of competition.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Friends, thank you very much for your review. We are glad to know that you had a great time with us. We do hope to see you back with us soon. Best regards. manager@villa caletas.com

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My girlfriend (now fiance) booked a 5 night stay through groupon at Villa Caletas in early May. I have traveled all over the world to countless hotels and I can honestly say this takes the cake as my favorite.

The grounds are pristine, gorgeous, romantic and incredibly maintained, filled with lush tropical greenery, statues, and beautiful wildlife. The rooms are out of this world. We had a junior suite, which was jaw dropping. I could not get enough of the magnificent view overlooking the jungle and pacific ocean. It really was like your own slice of paradise. We lounged on our enormous balcony at night watching shooting stars and soaking in the private outdoor jacuzzi. The infinity pool is like something you'd see on the travel channel; so beautiful, especially during the sunset, where I proposed to my fiance.

The service is fantastic, not sure what other people's gripe were about it. Everyone we encountered was courteous, friendly, and more than willing to help us. The maid service was great, they even left towel origami animals on our bed everyday and put rose petals on the bed and in the bathroom.

My one complaint with the hotel is the restaurant. The prices are reaaally high and the food is mediocre. Unfortunately this will be your only option unless you take a taxi to Jaco or Herradura, which will run you about $40 roundtrip. We did this a few nights but its really not worth it.

Overall a phenomenal experience and I would recommend to any couple looking for the most romantic vacation of their lives.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Friends, thank you very very much for your review. We are so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Villa Caletas is indeed a romantic place in the middle of the jungle !! We hope to see you soon back with us. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

Reviewed May 4, 2013

The location of this hotel, whilst remote (not walking distance to anything including a beach) is unbelievably beautiful. The hotel is 5 stars and although once there you are pretty much captive, the hotel will shuttle you anywhere within reason.
I had a deluxe double room with sea view which was pretty small and fairly basic and lacked some of the amenities of a 5 star hotel (robes, slippers etc) and felt that the rate per night was steep for the quality and what was provided.
That said, the restaurant, bar, pool area and vistas are impeccable and no doubt contribute to rate. A great place to spend a few nights to just relax and do very little.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Friends, thank you very very much for your review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we do hope to see you soon back with us. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I actually had the good fortune of meeting one of the owners during my stay and was absolutely delighted by his friendliness and light hearted attitude.

He explained that the beach was actually washed away by a hurricane many years ago and was slowly comin back naturally. During High Tides the beach was spectacular.

Tons of wildlife on the grounds, great service and just a generally positive ambiance. I will certainly revisit for many years to come.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Thomas W

Dear Friend, thank you very very much for your review. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel was truly amazing. Villa Caletas was our final stop in Costa Rica. After spending time in larger more congested resorts, it was refreshing to have a quiet moment in a place so serene that words cannot describe. The property is beautiful and very well kept. The service and staff were exceptional. We stayed in a Villa with an ocean view. Just breathtaking! Sunsets in the evening in the amphitheater overlooking the Pacific is not to be missed. It was all just perfect. Every detail attended to. Even the music throughout the property was amazing. I would love to have a playlist to remind me of this wonderful experience. If you have health concerns you may want to make mention of that because the property is well spread out and there are a lot of stairs depending on where you stay. I got a good workout every day going up and down stairs but I enjoyed that too.
My only regret, I did not stay here longer

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pat j

Dear Friends, thank you very very much for your review. We are so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we do hope to see you soon back with us. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I visited for a friend's wedding. Upon arrival to the airport the couple had arranged for shuttle services to the resort and sent us detailed information about who was expected on each shuttle and what times to expect to leave. We were able to find the shuttle driver easily enough, but he seemed to have very little idea as to whom and how many people he was picking up. Through our own initiative we were able to locate everyone on the shuttle (although many of us were strangers to each other) and leave together.

The trip to the resort from the hotel takes about an hour. The resort itself is located in a jungle overlooking the beach. It takes at least 20 minutes to get to the grounds from the turn off from the street. Unless you want to spend all of your time at the resort (and trust me, you won't) you'll have to factor that in to every single trip you take off the property. More of an annoyance than anything.

On check in, our room was clean and relatively well-maintained despite the clearly older structure and fixtures. The view was tremendous and gave us the impression that we were the only people there! We overlooked a valley and the ocean. There were no structures or pathways in our view, we never saw a single person out the window and had no worry that anyone could see in. The bathroom had a nice open, giant shower which is huge for me. We did have a few issues with those tiny tropical ants that seem to get into anywhere we've stayed in the tropics, we had a resident gecko - which I loved because I hate bugs. We saw very few bugs in the room - I'm thanking the gecko for his voracious appetite. We also spent time in several of the suites / villas and were impressed with the grounds and conditions of all the rooms we were in.

The grounds were reasonably well kept. There is a species of spider endemic to the area that spans a few inches, is creepy looking and spins webs prolifically. The resort is in the jungle, so fine, as long as they stay out of my room, which they did. For the first few days it seemed that they managed to destroy or move any spiders spinning webs across the pathways. On the fourth day we did notice a spider in a web at eye / head level that I almost walked into across one of the main stairways that stayed there at least 24 hours.

The pool area and amphitheater are very attractive, but don't expect to be served drinks or food correctly or in a timely manner or with any semblance of courtesy. Every time I asked for anything (in Spanish or English) the waiter would look very confused and wander off. I routinely waited 30-40 minutes for a beverage (even bottled beer located in a cooler standing behind the guy at the kiosk who took orders) and several times received the wrong drink. The food service was terrible. The poolside / amphitheater menus are mundane and uninteresting and the food is average, at best, if it ever comes. On the day of the wedding I waiting over an hour for french fries I ordered and only got them after I walked up for the third time and told them I need to get cleaned and dressed for the wedding - if you can't bring my food immediately, then just cancel the order because I need to leave.

The exception to the abysmal food and service was their upscale restaurant where we received decent service and decent food for a premium price. (As opposed to the premium price we paid for terrible service and edible at best food we received elsewhere at the resort).

The only acceptable (and actually quite good) service we received was at the activities desk where tours and activities were scheduled easily and accurately including transportation off the property. No fuss, no muss. The staff there was friendly and welcoming. If only that could spread across the resort it wouldn't be such a disappointment.

FIVE STARS - LAUGHABLE. Aside from location, this s a THREE STAR HOTEL AT BEST - ON A GOOD DAY. We undoubtedly will never return and discourage anyone from visiting. IF YOU'RE GOING TO PAY FIVE STAR PRICES, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE and perhaps get what you pay form.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Friend, thank you very very much for your review. We have paid close attention to your comments. We hope you will change your mind and hopefully visit us again. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Hotel Pumilio
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Hotel & Club Punta Leona
Hotel & Club Punta Leona
#1 of 2 in Punta Leona

Been to Villa Caletas? Share your experiences!