“It is only that view...”
Review of Villa Caletas

Villa Caletas
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“It is only that view...”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We were staying at Villa Caletas from 30th August till 3rd Sept as we attended the wedding in Zephyr Palace.

Villa Caletas is a very beautiful hotel with breathtaking view, but that is all.
We arrived earlier then the check in hours and the receptionist told us to wait till 2pm even our room was ready. I mean it would be such a nice service to get it earlier, as many other hotels do it normally after they have the rooms ready.

We had a beautiful room - Villa Nr. 36 and also 35. They are spacious and have a wonderful view on the ocean and you can enjoy sunset every evening by your own - I also loved the bathroom with the stunning view. I highly recommend to book it as it pays off.

I was surprised that breakfast was not included in the hotel rates, as the previous reviews said it is expensive - 10 USD and up. I do not mind to pay for it extra, but it was disappointing. The quality was average and the portion very small. It is a pity to have a wonderful view during the breakfast with average food.. Even worst is to pay 12 USD for a bottle of water...

We had a dinner outside on the terasse, when our trousers got dirty from their chairs. The hotel cleaned them for free, but the shorts of my boyfriend lost its color. After we complained, hotel manager just said he will give us 30 USD and we should be happy to get at least something!
The bar was closed pretty earlier, so even we had there many friends to join the wedding, we could not enjoy some drinks - so this was a bit pity.

Room Tip: Nr. 35 and 36
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Adriana J
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Friends thank you for your review. First of all we want to thank you for your nice comments over the hotel as in your own words : "beautiful hotel, breathtaking views, beautiful room. stunning bathroom". We beleive that Villa Caletas is as nice you described it !!. Now i would like to answer your concerns over the other points you are mentioning. We always try to give their rooms to our guests as soon as they are ready and before the regular check in time, nevertheless from time to time it is technically impossible due to high check in and out turnover. Speaking of our restaurant, we tend to believe that $10.00 for a breakfast is not over the top, not even in Costa Rica and our 1.5 bottle of water is $6.00. Our Bar closed around 10.00 PM but always stays open meanwhile guests want to be served. On a final note I hope that you had a great time with us and I thank you again to recommend our Villas “35and36” that really boast from an incredible view. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Long Beach, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our Honeymoon and this was the second of two hotels we stayed at. The first one (Nayara in La Fortuna) was so incredible and a relative bargain that Villa Caletas may have been a victim of our wonderful experience there. Regardless, here are our thoughts:

The entire style/vibe of the place was just a little off for us. Our room was a Junior Suite Superior and it was incredibly luxurious with a fantastic view and terrace. We were paying a lot for this place and so we were happy to see the room was nice, but it was decorated a little oddly and the bed was rock hard. The one and only restaurant (that was open) had some nice food but is rather expensive and played some very odd music each night we dined there. Think epic chanting that would better accompany a Roman Gladiator fight. Again I admit that this is all a matter of taste, and we just thought the whole place was uptight and stuffy. We were there at the end of August which is apparently the slow season, and--even with a wedding going on that weekend--it was an extremely sleepy hotel. We we're the only ones in the restaurant for long stretches on several occasions.

The private beach is VERY private and quite exotic. We actually were quite happy with it but beware that the water is filled with large rocks and nearly un-swimmable I found my way into the water but my wife didn't even try. There's little to no sand, it's mostly small rocks but really it wasn't an issue for us. The shuttle left us hanging at the end of the day and walking is not an option. We were fairly upset to find the shuttle arriving nearly 30 minutes after it was scheduled to pick us up. When we spoke with the manager about the situation afterwards, he spoke in a fairly dismissive manner, "There are worse places to be stuck at for 30 minutes." Regardless of the validity of that statement, it wasn't the attitude we expected from a manager when speaking with guests on their honeymoon.

Our massages at the spa we're good but we didn't make a trip to the pool. The view was nice but the layout again was a bit off. The water was cold according to other guests.

In summary, I just don't find this hotel worth the money. No doubt it's nice and luxurious but both the rooms and the restaurants are very pricey. There isn't anything within walking distance. If you want to see the view, stay somewhere else and make a trip here for the sunset. I think you'll be very happy with that.

3 Thank MPR914
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Friends thank you for your review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your room, our view , restaurant and private beach. As a matter of fact Villa Caletas is one of a kind , and as you said it could a metter of taste. It is true that we had a little " Technicle problem" with our shuttle to the beach and we are happy that you enjoyed your massages at the SPA. I hope you will keep a nice souvenir from your stay with us !! Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com
New Jersey
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband, son and I spent 6 nights at this beautiful hotel. From Aug. 22-Aug 27. I can not say enough great things about the place. After just reading the review before mine, I feel that the person had a compleatly different "outlook" then my family. Yes, you may be paying a little more to eat, But look where you are!!! If you also want to save some money on food, go to the market in Jaco and get stuff to keep in the room. We also ate many great meals in Jaco. If you are on such a strict budget, stay someplace cheaper. I met so many great people who were also staying at the hotel, I didn't want to leave! The staff were all very nice, even with my very limited Spanish. The way I feel is that a place is what you make of it. Some people focus on the negative aspects of a trip. I am more positive and didn't let every little thing bother me. If you want things "perfect" then stay home. My family can't wait to come back!! It is hard to find a better view or more beautiful place to stay.

Room Tip: 117 steps to our room (27) but my legs are great for it!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Pam G
Dear Friends thank you so much for your nice words. We are very happy to know that you had such a great time with us. We hope to see you back soon with us.
Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I really don't want to write a bad review about this place. When I first arrived to Villa Caletas and drove up the long road to get to the property, and walked into my room and saw how amazing the view was and how beautifully the room was decorated, I was floored. I thought I was going to love this place...I was wrong.

My husband and I traveled throughout Costa Rica for ten days for our honeymoon (August 14 to 24), and this was definitely our least favorite of all the places we stayed. Don't get me wrong, it's not THAT bad. The view is amazing. The rooms are great. We stayed in a Junior Suite Superior. The room was large and we had a huge terrace with an outdoor jacuzzi overlooking the ocean. But that's pretty much where the good ends.

The place is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Every other hotel we stayed at in Costa Rica (they were all MUCH cheaper than this one) offered free breakfast. This place, on the other hand, charges you $10 for a plate of muffins and toast. A light beer in the restaurant costs like $6. I can go to the nearest restaurant and buy a beer for $2.

During our stay, we decided we wanted to have a few items washed in their laundry service. So I filled out the form, and it seemed to be pretty inexpensive. When they returned our clothing, the bill was $36! That was for a few pairs of underwear, socks and a pair of shorts! Apparently, the form I filled out was in dollars, not colones, like I thought. So what I thought was going to cost us $7 actually cost us $30.

One reason why we stayed at Villa Caletas was because they have a "private beach." We decided to go down to the beach our first day, and what we saw was a bunch of enormous rocks along the water. I'm pretty sure it's not even swimmable. I never saw a person go near the water. What's the point of having a private beach if it's nothing but a bunch of rocks? We had to drive an hour away to Manuel Antonio to go to a swimmable beach!

Seriously, if you're planning a trip to Costa Rica, and this is an area you're looking into...do yourself a favor and stay in Manuel Antonio instead. There are plenty of inexpensive options, and at least you'll be close to a nice beach.

2 Thank JasiRad
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your review. We are sad that you did not enjoy the hotel at 100%. I would like to answer your concerns:* regarding our prices, our restaurant and bar services are at the same level of most of the other equivalent places you will find in the country. Yes you can find cheaper but it will be in a "Soda" the equivalent of what you call a "shack" and that is not what Villa Caletas is. *The prices of our laundry are the same as any other hotel that gives this kind of service. They might seem high, but if you look over the internet you will find out that one of the general complain over "Laundry in hotels" is that it always too expensive. I believe that people are used to other prices they can find in a local laundry or dry cleaning service which specialize in cleaning and earn money from the volume they washed on a daily bases. *Yes we have a private pebble beach, it is very relaxing. Depending of the sea, many people swim to the floating platform we have installed just a few meters away. On a final note we are glad to know that you loved your room and it’s amazing view , our junior suite superior are really beautifully. Thank you very much.
Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We have stumbled into this unique hotel by chance; noticed vacancy sign while driving around, looking for a place to stay. After driving up winy road we found ourselves at the top of the mountain gasping at incredible view. Saying that hotel was nice is like saying nothing at all. It was not just luxurious but somehow filled with personalty, history and great character.

Every lovely architectural or garden detail was speaking to you as it wanted to tell you a story....Wonderful place to relax.

Service was great, personal was very attentive and nice.

Perfect place to spend a honeymoon

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Desert754
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear friends, Thank you so much for your nice words. Villa Caletas is indeed a magical place full of wonderful stories ready to be uncovered by our Guests. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed August 23, 2012

we spent 2 nights at the Zapyhre Palace in Villa Caletas.
the room and hotel is beautiful, real 5 stars quality. the room theme of "years 1920" is second to none.
the issues started on the service side...it is really a shame the owners have invested so much $ in this property and the (local) staff are ruining what could have been a lifetime experience
1. "breakfast included" , a 5 stars hotel should not argue with his customer if black coffe or capuccino should be charged separately. Same for orange juice, if you don't order the "predefined breakfast options" the orange juice is not included. ridicoulous
2. we had a romantic dinner which was 150USD for two. in a 5 stars hotel and for 150USD you expect a really quality dinner. the food was only OK, not outstanding. we didnt touch the dessert as it was horrible ("rum bananas with icecream and cholocate genache") it was more like banana Gerber cup with a poor quality icecream on top. the waiter didnt offer us to order something instead nor removed it from the bill (only when we told this story to the hotel manager they agreed to remove the dessert from the final bill)
3. the shuttle that took us down to the beach is a 4X4 truck, but in parallel to taking 4 couples down to the private beach, the driver made 4 stops along the way, to distribute lunch dishes to different workers posted along the property.We felt like in a distribution truck and not like guests in a 5 stars hotel.
4. turn down service did not show up on the second night. we came back from dinner expecting to have a clean and ready for night sleep room, but we were dissapointed on this too.
5. The Zaphyre Palace is an amzing building with 8 different themes suites. when we left the room to go to dinner the whole building was abandoned, no recepcionits and no lights on the corridros, stairways and reception. 100% darkness in the middle of the jungle. they told us "we apologyze this shouldn't have happened"

when we put all this claims with the shift manager he told us to come back at check out time as he will investigate what happened.
then he offered us to take out the dessert from the bill. that's all the "responsibility" this 5 stars hotel took for a series of incidents in a 48 hours stay.

the hotel is beautiful, but pricy, food was only OK and service below average.
i dont think we will be coming back

Room Tip: "years 20" is the smallest but by far the most bautiful suite in the Zapyhre Palace.
4 Thank FernandoXB
Dear friends. Thank you for your comments. We are sad to see that we were not able to give you the service you deserved. I have checked the differents points that you have mentioned and i can assure you that some solutions have been taken. We realy hope that you will change your mind and visit us again. I will be happy to receive you personaly at Villa Caletas. best regards.
manager@villacaletas.com
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at this beautiful paradise boutique hotel July 20 - 22nd.
The view of the Pacific is breathtaking. The hotel grounds are maintained to perfection, complimenting the surrounding rain forest. Nothing in the hotel's brochure or website is an exaggeration, the fusion of Neo Classical architecture with tropical Victorian design, places this hotel in a unique category. We ate outdoor at the Mirador restaurant ,the food was very good and well presented. We stayed in a nicely appointed Junior Suite with more than enough room for two. We took the trail from the top of the hotel to calitas beach, a little tricky after the evening rain, use the walking sticks provided. Calitas beach is private, well maintaind,a bit rocky but you can find clear spots to swim. Very freindly staff. We will return:)

Room Tip: While we thoroughly enjoyed the Jr Suite, I wouldn't hesitate to book a Standard or Standard Del...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ciluffome
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your review. We are gald to know that you enjoyed every part of the hotel and had such a great time with us. We hope to see you back soon. best regards manager@villacaletas.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Hotel Pumilio
Hotel Pumilio
#1 of 41 in Jaco
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion

Been to Villa Caletas? Share your experiences!