Posada Jaco
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hotel Mar de Luz(Jaco)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Pasada Jaco, was a wonderful and friendly environment hostel. I'm so glad I got to stay their during my time in Costa Rica. The staff was kind and personable, the rooms were clean and fully equipped with kitchenette supplies, the AC was ICE COLD, and the gardens and pool were so lovely. The beachfront is only a two minute walk from this lovely home-like hotel, and you can even see its view from the top balcony. Marg (the owner and manager) was sooOO sweet. She lent me and a friend her hair dryer every morning.
I really do hope I can visit Pasada again soon!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
robbo2804, Owner at Posada Jaco, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

It was great having you stay with us. Thank you so much for your kind comments. Moe said to say hello and we look forward to your next visit with us.
Regards Rob

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Marg and Rob were such pleasant hosts (along with their cute dog, a lab named Moe)! Me and 10 others were there for our 10 day stay in Jaco, Costa Rica while helping with some local missionaries and this couple was SUCH a blessing to us! They were sweet, sincere, and very accommodating. My school will be using this place in the future for the Jaco trip and for good reason.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Pasado Jaco was a really nice place to stay for the 8 days me and my group were in Jaco. It was walking distance to everything that we needed, such as grocery stores, restaurants, various shops, church, etc. It was also pretty comfortable, even though we were squeezing five girls into three beds (a single, a queen, and a futon), the fridge, AC and plumbing were great. The hoteliers were accommodating, friendly, and knew a lot the area. They were quick to supply what we needed when we asked (toiletries and such), they enjoyed our occasional popping into their office for a chat, and they knew the best places to go to in town. The whole outside area is nice with it's pool, shaded bar and table, plant life, and seating. The pool area was a good place to cool off after a long day in the sun. Our team had a lot of fun outside, playing around, eating lunches, and relaxing.
In all, I'd definitely recommend this place for it's homey atmosphere. And if I visit again, I'd probably come here again!

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the second story to the right were quieter (because they were away from the stairwell traffic and towards the end of the balcony) and had more space for sleeping (I'm not too sure about it, but that's what I was told).
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I made a reservation for me and 3 friends by hostelworl for one night in this hotel, but i decide to call anyway to make sure i have the reservation. When I call a foreign guy answer me, and i told him that i did a reservation a few minutes a go and he told me that the hotel was full, so i explain to him that i made the reservation by hostelworld, but the guy keep saying that there was no room for us. When i told the guy that what i supposed to do and that i already payed for that night he got angry and rude, and finally he said to me in a very bad way that it wasn't his problem, that he had no time for that and he hung up the phone before i could say something else.

I understand that it could be a problem of the website, but if his hotel is involved in the situation at least he could be friendlier and show more respect to his clients.

I can't recommend a hotel where the clients are treated in such a disrespectful way.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MarianneK K
Margaret S, Owner at Posada Jaco, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

I am sorry you booked when we did not have any rooms available. We explained to you that there was no rooms available but you still tried to make a booking thru Hostel-world. As you have never been to our property I feel it is a bit unfair to make a review based on the fact you could not get a room and threatened to write this review if we did not find you a room. We try to please as many of our guests as we can but it seems your demands were beyond our control.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Posada Jaco was an average place to stay. The room and bathroom were decent size, but the walls could use a fresh coat of paint, and possibly an upgrade to the sheets and bedspreads- this would make a world of difference. The highlight is that this hostel has a small pool and garden area of relaxing and reading- we did enjoy this. Downside there is not breakfast included in the stay- which is nice to have, and other places we've stayed do offer it. The location is very good-as it is a short 2 minute walk to the beach. The beaches aren't anything really spectacular- grey hard, muddy sand. The lock to our room was very difficult to unlock, which I suspect was the same situation for other nearby rooms, because you could hear everyone trying to get into their rooms quite loudly. When the guests next door were trying to get into their room, it sounded like they were knocking on our door and trying to get into our room. Not good sound insulation in the walls, so you could hear the neighbors. The staff was average and not really overly helpful in welcoming us or answering our questions about the buses and the area in general. I gathered that they have only owned the hostel a short time- less than a year- and because they are foreigners they did not have a lot of offer us with the questions we had.
It was not a terrible place to say- I would probably say "Cost Appropriate". It was a cheap place to stop over on the way to our actual destination- Manuel Antonio. Of the 5 hostels we stayed at during our 10 days in Costa Rica (4 cities)- this was my least favorite. However, it sounds like this could be typical for Jaco- not the nicest or most interesting place to visit in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for your opinion of the hotel Maumar not Posada Jaco. We have just taken over the property in December and are actively working on making improvements to the hotel. This is a budget hotel and as you stated the price asked per night was appropriate for what you received. We value your comments and are changing and improving the Maumar hotel all the time.