New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Wahoos Bar ^ Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 142 Restaurants in Jaco
Cuisines: Seafood, South American, Costa Rican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Grilled Avocado!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Great food. Wahoo! Got the grilled avocado and the fish fajitas. Both were outstanding. Highly recommended. Oh, cocktails were also greatz

Fort Erie, Canada
“2013 Valentine's Day Dinner at Wahoos”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

For $30.00 per person you had a choice of an appetizer and an entree plus a glass of wine. My husband chose the squash soup which he quite enjoyed. It was very rich, smooth and creamy. I ordered the "Calamari, Fish Shrimp" appetizer. It came in a bowl, breaded, deep fried and congealed, being held together by crumbs and the frying process. It was served with a rosy coloured dipping sauce which had the consistency of a mayo based dip. I really could not distinguish what the different components of this app. were, save for a couple of small shrimp and a piece of fish the size of a fish stick. The remainder was stuck together in a lump which I needed to cut up. For our entree we both selected the "Surf & Turf" which consisted of gratin lobster, mixed cheese, Tenderloin with port and prune sauce, mashed potato and fresh veg. My concerns with the mains are that they were not hot enough and our steaks which were ordered medium turned out to be very rare in the centers and therefore extremely chewy. The presentation was flamboyant as our plates arrived with 1/2 lobsters in the shell, still sporting their tentacles, which we managed to eat around. I enjoyed most of the lobster in spite of it being cold but when I got to the bottom it was still raw. The wine offered was some U.S. vintage that I was not familiar with. It was alright. Some may think I am being too picky but I know good food and this meal could have been better. I will give the staff highest marks for service. They were organized and prepared for a busy night. We scored a table by arriving at 6:00 p.m. The restaurant filled up shortly after. They appeared to be providing drinks first, then ensuring everyone had an app and then following that by presenting mains. They were quick to provide drinks and even wiped our table between courses, quickly removing empty dishes. They were friendly, helpful and courteous. They even dragged in the heavy "Specials" board for seated patrons to view and explained dishes to us in detail. I noticed a daily "Specials" board and from 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. they offer $2.00 fish tacos, shrimp mac and cheese, grilled avocados etc.Our 2 "specials" plus 3 beers, 13% tax and tip (which is included) came to $82.00.

Des Moines, Iowa
“Great Seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Ate at Wahoos during our trip in January 2013. Great seafood restaurant. Incredibly friendly staff with many different dining options. Definitely a place to put on your list when in Jaco. Prices are VERY reasonable and portions are large.

Visited January 2013
Aruba
“Good choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Delicious food, pleasant staff. Right on the main drag. We went for dinner and shared guacamole and salsa with homemade chips. My wife had wonderful mahi with a nut crust and mango salsa. It was yummy and I had beef fajitas which was great as well. Will return!

Miami, Florida
“Our Costa Rica get-a-away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This restaurant is beyond amazing. They were more than accommodating when my family brought them fish that we caught earlier that day. The presentation of our meal was outstanding and the service was great. The people are friendly and welcoming. I would strongly recommend stoping at this restaurant if you find yourself in Jaco, Costa Rica.