You know how when you return from a vacation and you feel desperate for the good vibes to stay with you as you sit in your office and daydream about it? That's how I feel right now as I write this review.
I just returned from a stay at the Forest Hills Suites and must say I left my heart back there. It is the most tranquil and beautiful place I’ve ever stayed in. The ceilings and closets are all constructed of a gorgeous dark wood (which our friend, who is an expert on types of wood, said were really good quality… I wish I’d asked what kind of wood it was!), while the arched windows throughout the house give it an airy and open feeling. The tiled floors throughout the mansion and on the patio in the lush backyard were immaculate, and the maid did an excellent job of making the beds and cleaning up each day.
My favorites parts about staying at FHS were waking up early, sitting on the balcony of our master suite, listening to the tropical birds float around me, admiring the gorgeous flowers all over the back yard, and watching the sun slowly rise above the lush hill facing the house while I ate fresh papaya. I also loved sharing dinner and tropical drinks with friends on the patio by the refreshing pool.
I brought a couple bottles of deet bug spray…. But of course I didn’t use a single drop on this vacation! The bugs didn’t come near us at all when we were at the house, which is amazing because its surroundings are so lush.
The master suite has an incredible brick vaulted and domed brick ceiling—it was like nothing I’d ever seen before, and my husband and I loved to gaze at it (and the dozens of local paintings in the room) as we drifted off to sleep each night. It also has an attached private bathroom with a huge bathtub and overhead shower with perfect water pressure--a rarity in Costa Rica.
Erika, the house manager, did an incredible job with organizing day tours and excursions for us—and she was very fast to respond to any emails we sent her with our millions of pre-trip questions! She is so animated and kind, and she convinced us to take an excursion to Manual Antonio National park—a trip we weren’t planning to make, but that turned out to be our favorite day in Costa Rica. She also organized the following for us, all of which I very highly highly recommend:
1) Villa Caletas for the gorgeous sunset. The grounds of the hotel are amazing and you watch the sunset into the Pacific—just incredible. The interior of the hotel didn’t impress me, and we were all glad we’d booked at FHS instead of spending a lot more money to stay there.
2) Isla Tortuga—an awesome day-long trip to a secluded island, complete with endless drinks and water bottles and lunch served to us by the attentive boat staff.
3) Dinner at the Lemon Zest restaurant—I had excellent ahi tuna there.
Overall, I had an amazing time in Costa Rica and am now considering cancelling our trip to Hawaii next year just so we can return to this amazing home in such a lush and peaceful country. I've traveled to 23 countries and must say Costa Rica now tops my list.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by lush green mountains and minutes from the beach, this private seven-acre estate has a pool, landscaped gardens, and a mansion with five luxury suites that include full-time concierge service and daily complimentary breakfast. We invite you to step into paradise and relax in luxury. Enjoy the hospitality of your own private concierge hosted adventures while hiding out in this opulent estate. You will find this five-suite, one-of-a kind boutique hotel equipped with all the first class amenities that will create delightful memories. Each suite has a large-screen TV and Wi-Fi access, so you can always be in touch with the world you left behind. After a day of adventure or doing nothing at all, perhaps you'd like to unwind with a soothing massage by the pool? Your private concierge is there to arrange your dream trip, and all you need to do is ask. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia and getaroom.com so you can book your Forest Hills Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Forest Hills Suites Costa Rica/Jaco