“Good, beautiful country disengaged tour guide” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Odyssey Tours Jaco

Odyssey Tours Jaco
Ranked #44 of 77 Tours in Jaco
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the Jaco beach experts and we can help you to get the best tours, transportation, rentals for condos or homes, hotels booking, sport fishing charters, and more.
Edmonton, Canada
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Good, beautiful country disengaged tour guide”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Costa Rica is a wonderful country and so much to see we had limited time and hoped our tour would match.

Used trip adviser and I am not sure I think as much of our guide. It was good but not great. In other words we enjoyed ourselves but felt the tour was missing the appeal that would have made it great.

We had booked a four hour tour at $50 and wanted to extend it. We got A six hour tour and it was a $100. While that would have been okay as we did some interesting extras but the whole tour lacked any enthusiasm and as such it took away from the experience.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank OnTheGoCFO

Toronto
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Absolutely Reliable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

We recently visited Costa Rica and arranged all of our transportation through Odyssey Tours. They were there with a big sign to greet us in San Jose to drive us out to Jaco. Then picked us up in Jaco to drive us to the Arenal Volcano and then from there they picked us up to take us back to San Jose. This company goes above and beyond! There were stops along the way to show us sites and points of interest that we would not have known about. The drivers and "co-pilots" spoke English very well so a language barrier was non-existent. Many recommendations were made for the places we were staying. On our way to Jaco we decided to do a catamaran cruise to Tortuga from Puntarenas. Our driver immediately called and made arrangements and we were picked up the next morning at 7:15 am. The vehicles were clean and comfortable. We had a lot of fun and learned about Costa Rica from residents who are obviously very proud of their country. Thank you for an awesome trip and when we return we will be contact Al again!

Visited December 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

I'm a long-time lurker on the Trip Advisor site, but I had to share my amazing experience with Odyssey Tours.

I was in contact with Alvaro (Al) several months prior to our November trip and he responded quickly to all of my (many) questions over email.

I traveled to Costa Rica in mid-November with my husband and another couple. Initially, we had booked Odyssey Tours for private transport between San Jose and Arenal, and then Arenal to Playa Portrero, but we ended up having Al book all of our excursions as well (white water rafting, ziplining, jeep-boat-jeep to Monteverde). All of the excursions were booked and paid for by Odyssey, so the only thing I needed to do was pay one lump sum. I was very satisfied with the prices, which were the same or even cheaper than what I had researched.

Al was on time to pick us up for each of our transfers. He is extremely knowledgeable about his country, and his tidbits made the drives much more interesting.

Al was also extremely professional and flexible. Our travel partners were delayed a day because of flight issues, so we had to rearrange our travel plans out of San Jose at the last minute. Not a problem!

I highly recommend Odyssey Tours!

Visited November 2011
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Started off shakily, but turned out to be awesome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

We booked an independent canopy tour through Odyssey for our cruise ship's stop in Cartagena. We walked down the looooong pier looking for someone from Odyssey Tours who we were told would be holding a sign with our names on it. We made it all the way outside the terminal without seeing anyone, but that seemed okay because there were even more guides outside. One approached us and we said “thanks, but we’re already booked with someone” and he asks “who are you looking for?” Now, I’ve always heard that you never answer this question, because the guy is likely then to just pretend to be from that company, so I hesitated, but my husband answered. Surprisingly enough, the guy says “oh, they’re over there by that van” and points us in the right direction. Score one for Costa Rican integrity! Then we get over to the bus, where we do indeed see guys wearing Odyssey Tours shirts, but no one seems to be looking for us. We chat with one, tell him who we are and that we booked a ziplining excursion through them (for which I had an email confirmation), and he makes a phone call, and then directs us to his colleague, Juan, who is holding a sign with someone else’s name on it. Eventually, the couple whose name is on the sign shows up, and immediately starts complaining that their tour is supposed to be private, and who are we? Then they figure out that the tour guide and Charles and I all thought we were going to one particular ziplining venue, while this other couple thinks they’re going elsewhere. Long story short, they complain a lot and make lots of threats about the nasty reviews they’re going to write, Juan makes a lot of phone calls, we stand around for another 45 minutes, and eventually Juan pawns them off on the “owner” of the venue they wanted to go to. Phew.
We hop into the van that’s waiting, with Juan and our driver Enrique, and we’re finally off on the hour trek to the ziplining place. Juan spends the entire trip telling jokes and pointing out flora - including their latin scientific names - on either side of the road. I can only describe his knowledge as encyclopedic - it was truly amazing. First stop was the Vista Los Sueños Canopy Tour, where we and about a dozen other tourists geared up for ziplining. It was not quite clear how we would ascend from the base point up high enough for the 14 zipline runs, but we were soon loaded into some sort of open trailer pulled by a tractor that struggled up steep graded dirt roads with barrier-free sheer drop into the rainforest. The views were cool though. Once we got to the top platform, the guides at Vista Los Sueños gave excellent instructions in both English and Spanish, and our initial trepidation was assuaged by our realizing that we were likely the most agile people in our group of mostly out-of-shape cougars, one of whom refused to continue after one run (we’re still not sure if or how she got down). With a yell of ¡Pura Vida! and a few snaps of carabiners around the harness, we were off to fly around space. It took a few runs to be able to think anything but “holy crap I’m ziplining right now” but eventually we could trust the gear and focus on the scenery.
After a snack of fresh pineapple and watermelon, we picked up a CD of our pictures (the set-up is surprisingly techie for where we were) and were back in the van to pick up lunch at a soda near Jaco Beach, followed by a leisurely beach stroll where it was us and about a dozen surfers trying out their lessons from the Pura Vida Surfing School.
After the beach, we began the hour-long drive back to the pier, with Juan again pointing out lifeforms on all sides. We pulled over at one point, at one side of a long bridge, and got out. We walked along the narrow shoulder of the bridge (Yes, with cars zipping by. All of whom felt the need to honk as they were about to pass you. Which I would argue just made it more dangerous. Yes, I know I’m close to in your way. And I can hear you as you come up behind me. Probably the best thing you could do right now would be NOT honk and scare the crap out of me. Just saying...) Why are we risking our lives to traipse along the side of a bridge, you ask? To see the crocodiles sunning themselves below! They didn’t so much, just laid there, half in and half out of the murky water, but still... cool!
All in all, once the drama got sorted out, we were very happy with our experience.

Visited September 2011
Tampa, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highly Recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

Experience the "Pura Vida" way of life in Costa Rica with Odyssey Tours. I was able to booked all my tours (Manuel, ATV, and Zip Line) with precise and expedient service. The odyssey tour staff made sure that all our tours were on time and enjoyable. I highly recommend to everyone to do the Manuel Antonio Park tour. We had the pleasure of having Juan as our tour guide for the Manuel Antonio Park tour and i must say that we were very impressed! He was very knowledgeable, kind, and help us to spot many different species of plants and animals. He went out of his way to make sure that we were having a great time by throwing in some very funny jokes during the tour. Thank you very much Juan! I forgot to mention that i also booked my airport transfers (roundtrip) with Odyssey and it was really great as they were able to make personal stops (sightseeing and restaurant) for us. Truly i cannot express how great the Odyssey staff is. I highly recommend Odyssey Tours Jaco for your transfers and tours! Thank you Odyssey Tours!!

Kind regards,