New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Very American” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Los Amigos

Los Amigos
Ranked #16 of 142 Restaurants in Jaco
Cuisines: American, International, Costa Rican, Mexican, Bar, Pub, Central American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“Very American”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Lively on a night that not much was lively. Great and fun service (from Carla, thanks honey). All American feel, branding and customers. Not for you if you want Tico ambiance, but a safe harbor if you want to literally feel at home. Servers seemed to be mostly ladies, with wing house style attire (you understand). Great appetizers. Food overall was good sports bar style. The bar is a sports bar feel. Men's bathroom was rough. Ladies was great. Did I mention Carla? Fabulous.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ExpatCIO
ExpatCIO,

Thank you for your review....our menu is broad....we do offer many American style dishes as you said as well as Asian dishes and popular Costa Rican food choices......we typically have female servers in the bar and male waiters in our dining areas inside and outside. Karla is still with us!!

I can assure you that our bathrooms are well maintained.

Thank you and we hope to see you again

“Home base for jaco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I love Los Amigos. It was my home away from home. Cut to the good stuff ceviche is amazing first thing I get. AC is great beers are cold. An oasis in jaco!! Staff is awesome you just have to ask. Great place to meet up and start your night a lot of locals there. Caught a great band there. Any sporting events they got on caught a sabres game and the UFC fights are big there outdoor tv for them. Back to the food ceviche is like French fries in Costa Rica they make it with mango,shrimp, fish anything. It soaks in a lime cilantro brine. Los amigos fish ceviche still haunts me I crave it now. Good people good time great food. Ohh and I saw the giants pitcher "the beard" there!!

• Visited March 2013
Evibillsfan,

Thank you for your great review and for pointing out the many Costa Rican dishes we offer..... we love to bring variety to Jaco such as American style burgers and Asian dishes like our Thai green curry but we will forever be proud of our Costa Rican heritage and will always offer delicious and popular traditional Costa Rican foods!!

“Bad service at a basically American restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We went to this bar on a Friday night and boy what a mistake.
Service was terrible, they charged us for two more beer than we drank, and a different kind, and argued with us extensively when the bill was to be corrected.
As well, later on in the evening, it seemed like hookers flocked here. The food was horrible, cold (saying a lot in Costa!!) and Americanized.
Skip this.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Liz01234,

Thank you for your review. At Los Amigos we stride for good service and are always working with our staff to improve. While we hope for quality 100% of the time we realize that there can be issues along the way. Whenever a waiter or waitress decides to challenge a customer (which can happen from time to time) the best option is to request a manager or owner (always on staff at Los Amigos) We are very prompt to assist in these issues.....while we don't mind constructive reviews we do prefer to resolve issues when they happen for better experiences in the future

In closing we are far from an American restaurant.....we offer a variety that appeals to Costa Rican food lovers as well American and Asian dishes

Atenas, Costa Rica
“a bit pricy but worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Jaco in May can be HOT - so the air-conditioning in this restaurant was very welcome! And the food was really good - I have not found Thai food (or Asian food in general) in Costa Rica to be very good (more like Tico food with curry added or Tico food made in a wok) but their Thai food was excellent. I had the beef curry (hotness at 4) and it was excellent! Several others in our party found the Pad Ti (sorry about the spelling) to be good also. I'm giving it a 4 because it was a bit pricy AND the bathroom were outside the place (not air-conditioned!). Also, the menu is extensive but I would recommend the Thai dishes, however another in our party had the seared tuna - it was very good and the portion was huge!

aannafred,

Thank you for you nice and informative review. All our Thai dishes are made with most of the ingredients imported directly from Thailand with the exception of your protein choices (chicken, beef or shrimp) the curry pastes, additional spices, coconut milk and jasmine rice are all from Thailand as is the pad thai noodles.

Our prices are created taking into account food and importing costs as well as a full service air conditioned dining area plus the challenging fact of having to add 23% to the bill for taxes and service fees required by law. Taking all this into account our dishes are priced lower on the profit end to attract more clients and to work with a higher volume of customers.

Yes our bathrooms are located outside around back because at Los Amigos we never want you seated with a bathroom view.

An important feature to notice at Los Amigos is that we are the only restaurant in Jaco that employs a full time bathroom attendant during the evening hours to help maintain a cleaner experience.......next time you stop by say hello to Liseth! She has been with us for over 5 years and does a fantastic job!!

Thanks again!!
Small Town, NY
“Be Very careful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Hola everyone, Just getting into the review thing, only my second only review, both for experiences in Jaco...
Los Amigos: Went 3 times during visit late January..early February 2013......1st visit was alone and only for a beer, very slow service, like perhaps 15 minutes for someone to ask what I want.....and there were but 3 other people in the bar/restaurant
2nd visit: With 4 of my buds, They wanted to try dinner there.....food basic, only OK, LONG wait time not only for someone to come for order but also for delivery, we had to ask 2 times (after 40 minute wait) about our meal, we were told they had a problem in the kitchen, However no one ever came to tell us. The big deal was...........I paid the bill, then waited with one of my friends while the other 3 went outside for a smoke...........total bill was perhaps $45 USD or so, incl. in the bill was a 10% tip most all the restaurants add, we were adding more no prob.....However I was waiting for my change, approx $25 USD............no one returned after I paid.....15 min...then 25 min before I flagged a guy down and told him I was still waiting for my change, he went and got our waiter who never came to table but went right to register by me.........obviously he had no idea I speak/understand spanish very well....so I overheard much of his conversation with his friend, basically he figured we were stupid gringos, Surprise! I got my change....and because of what I heard they recieved no more tip which they would have gotten. 3rd visit: My buds figured it was honest mistake before......so 4 days later about the same time in the evening we returned, same very basic meal...........its OK, no problem there....But exact same thing happened. So, I am in Jaco area often now......but never again Los Amigos............Far Far too many other restaurants to choose from. So Los Amigos.....be careful of what you have your people say in earshot of "gringos", we are all not "stupid"

• Visited February 2013
BackRoadsTravel,

Sorry to hear about your experience at Los Amigos....based on your review details, the fact that you speak spanish and that you tried Los Amigos 3 x times during your trip I would like to recommend in the future (wether at Los Amigos or another establishment) you request to speak to a manager or owner about such problems. There is always a manager or an owner on staff here.

At Los Amigos or policy is not to make excuses but to find solutions. Having accurate details at the moment that these issues occur allow for better understanding and solutions. While you are getting your point across we will never know who the server was so that we might work to help them improve. They will move thru a small town like Jaco from job to job and repeat this behavior over and over again without receiving additional help / training.

That being said, Los Amigos has always been a quality business in Jaco. We pride ourselves on quality food, service and atmosphere...while it is never easy we always work to improve and look forward to many more years of business serving our loyal customers.