“The road less traveled”

and up
ATV Full-Day Tour in Jaco
Ranked #3 of 77 Outdoor Activities in Jaco
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse riding Jaco Costa Rica. Discovery horse tours were awarded a "Certificate of Excellence" in the Trip Advisor awards 2011,2012 and 2013. If you want an unforgettable tour (tours duration ranges from 2.5 hours up to a full day, or a full week!) through the rain forest, on the beach or into the mountains Discovery Horse Tours are total equine professionals. Renowned for making sure the horses as well as the clients have a fabulous time they are "so much more" than just a horse tour! Specializing in small groups of no more than 8 people (4 on the beach)your tour will always feel personal. Located on a stunning 1500 acre private rain forest reserve, you will share the trails with no one but the wildlife. You will LOVE the horses who are safe, fun and most importantly happy and incredibly well cared for. Ride through pristine rain forest to the secret spring fed waterfall, or gallop along the deserted beaches. If you are on Honeymoon check our website for details on your private rain forest adventure with champagne and a private mud bath. No experience necessary. Beginners will feel secure,confident and in control. Experienced riders can enjoy the thrill of galloping our fit and healthy horses across the open hay fields. Consistently described as "The highlight of our trip to Costa Rica". Famous for the love of their animals, customer care and attention to detail; you will love your time with Discovery Horse Tours! All our horses are trained using Parelli Natural horsemanship, they are treated with respect, dignity and love, we take our time to match clients with the right horse making sure they have a wonderful time.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 25, 2013

In looking at the directions, we were unsure if we would even find this place. With only one turnaround, we did! And it was worth it!! We enjoyed a leisure ride in the countryside as Andrea shared her passion for Costa Rica and the rescued horses. I look forward to a longer ride next time!

LovinlifePV, Owner at Discovery Horseback Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your tour. Just to clarify to anyone driving themselves. These clients were NOT given the directions that we give to our riders, they were given some notes by friendly hotel staff. If you have the directions that are on the website you will find us with no problem. All the way from Jaco or Esterillos there are only two turns to make, it is easy!.
We love that you want more than the 2.5 hours and we really look forward to taking you on our all day ride next time, you will love it! Andrea x

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"tortuga del mar"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The first excursion I did when we arrived in Costa Rica on our week long adventure was the Best of Both Worlds tour (full day option) with Discovery Horse Tours and what an amazing way to start my trip!!! The scenery was breathtaking as we rode through the countryside and Julia, our wonderful guide, took time to explain the surroundings and answer any questions we had. We stopped at a beautiful river where we and the horses had a chance to cool off with a dip in the refreshing water and enjoy a delicious lunch. Then we were off to enjoy some more riding, eventually making our way to the beautiful beach to finish off the ride. It was so beautiful - like something out of a dream! It is so evident that these are horses that are well loved and cared for! I want to come back to Costa Rica just so that I can do this again!

1  Thank Alison K
Reviewed February 22, 2013

It had been many years since I had been on a horse (and only a few times) and my last experience had been a frightening one so riding was definitely not in my comfort zone! My kids really wanted to do a trail ride while in CR so I swallowed my worries( kind of) for their sake and just prayed the horse wouldn't smell my fear!

I let Andy & Chris know how I felt and they were so reassuring and supportive. I was partnered with Whiskey and after awhile I was able to relax as their calm, confident, respectful way with the animals wore off. I felt safe and am very grateful for the experience they provided me and my family!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The best horseback riding experience I have had & one of the best days of our trip! Andrea is so knowledgeable about the area and interesting to be around. She truly loves the horses she has rescued from abusive situations (she also rescues dogs from the area & finds homes for many of them!) & treats them better than any other place I have visited…no metal in their mouths or on their feet, careful about how we got on the horses so as not to hurt their backs & treats of fruit rinds when we stopped!

The mud spa in the middle of the jungle was really unique and relaxing. The whole day was just perfect!