“sushi in jaco” 4 of 5 stars

Tsunami Sushi
Ranked #19 of 139 Restaurants in Jaco
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
rutherford new jerser
“sushi in jaco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

it was okay if you dont see an asian with a knife hard to impress or compare as we have so many great sushi places here. would not do sushi again here. would rather go to typical soda

Visited January 2013

Saint Julian's, Malta
“I don't even like sushi, but this place was good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Lots of half off deals depending on the night. I don't really like sushi, but the crunchy roll was really good and all of my friends liked this place.

Visited October 2012
South Dakota
“Not sure what the big deal is here.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I seek out good Sushi places when we travel. During our recent trip to Jaco, we were looking forward to trying Tsunami Sushi after reading other reviews, especially since it was a Wednesday and 1/2 price night.
The restaurant is upstairs in a mall along Jaco's main drag. We arrived about 8pm and the place was full. There was nobody at the front desk area, and several people were sitting nearby waiting for tables. After standing there for about ten minutes, we decided to go in the doors to the main restaurant and bar area and see what was up. After standing there for 10 more minutes, one of the waiters did acknowledge us in passing. In their defense, they were quite busy, so a wait was not unexpected. The restaurant was fairly small and crowded. We finally got seats at the Sushi bar itself, which was fine, we were glad just to get a seat, but our seats were immediately adjacent to the waiter station at the bar, which was constantly used by several waiters at a time, which means they were reaching over us all the time. Since we were so close, we could see every plate going out. In the time that we were there, I would say that at least a third of the plates came back missing something, or with a mistake on the order. There seemed to be a disconnect between the waiters and the chefs that was pretty consistent.
That said, this place is the fastest Sushi restaurant I've ever seen and serves a lot of people amazingly quickly.
We ordered a beer each and three rolls and got them within five minutes or so. The rolls were good, but I would not call them great by any means. The spicy tuna roll in particular was basically flavorless. In short, we've had much better sushi at many, many places.
Tired of being jostled around by the waiters, we were anxious to leave. Our bill came to $35. Mind you, if it wasn't 1/2 price night, it would have been $70, which would be absolutely ridiculous for what we had .
I'm assuming the place is much better on a normal, less crowded night.

Visited January 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Great sushi and delicious vegetarian options! Service was also good even though they were pretty busy! A must stop in Jaco!

Visited December 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
“So good sushi but had to wait for too long.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Me and my sister ate here around Christmas and the food was super! Unfortunately we were seated quite close to the sushi chefs and it was almost impossible to have a conversation. The music was so loud! Also, our orders didn't arrive at the same time and I felt that when I asked were the rest of the sushi were the waiter thought I was an annoying customer and gave me a snouty answer. And that is never okay in my book.

• 4 of 5 stars