My fiancee and I just arrived back from Morgan's Cove Resort one week ago. Mass confusion as we were dropped off at Morgan Cove CENTRAL to check in (yikes, similar to an older hunting camp,, no oceanfront). I was in tears and my fiancee was "What did you get us into?". Our travel agent was informed through the phone travel rep for Nolitours that the two resorts were under one umbrella and connected. Totally untrue! Beware of this when booking.
We immediately took a taxi to Morgan Cove Central, The General Manager, Shannon was a lifesaver and totally rescued us! She went above and beyond to ensure we were accomodated to. She mentioned that this is a common mistake and somehow has to be eliminated. The two hotels are not connected whatsoever. However, that being said, it was the last room and sold out for the remainder of the week. Being a small resort, we gained many wonderful friendships with four other couples and were able to spend time together at the resort and offsite.
I have never written a review during my 25 years of travelling and am apprehensive doing so as I don't know great this will sound. Others we travelled with felt the same. We will not return to this hotel as it requires capital improvements.
The rooms were renovated to some extent two years ago. The showers drained very slowly and overflowed and there were very few rooms with queen beds. Most were two doubles. Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day (homemade omelets were the best). Early risers beware - no coffee prior to seven which totally made my fiancee a very grumpy bear!!! No pop prior to 11:00 am or bar, requesting cubed ice was a huge feat!! Water machine broken alot and empty which was of prime importance with the temperatures. An improvement would be a small giftshop to purchase lotions, sunhats, advil etc.
Very rocky beach and black sand (not well kept or raked). One a la carte which was only two choices (salisbury steak or seafood rice). Italian night and bbq nite were fabulous. You can order off the menu at 1/2 price and the bacon wrapped filet mignon $16 US was amazing and the soulaki type luncheon item. Quantities of all buffet items were limited and gone quickly. There was a lack of kitchen staff replenishing items and cutlery. Alot of beans, rice and fish items. Only one desert choice per meal (most often gone as tourists grabbed at the start of their meals). Did not get desert once. Pool chairs were 90% broken (ripped at the backrest area) and there were no activities poolside. For smokers, good luck finding an ashtray. A few at the bar area and otherwise none which causes litter and extra work for the staff. Dogs galore - a dog was sitting ON THE bar counter at lunch one day and I was just apalled!!! Beach chairs were lacking (30 quantity) and always taken. Hard white plastic with no umbrellas for the peak of the day (80-98 every day). Towels were very old and crappy/stained. Need to be replaced.
Overall, this resort was definitely an eye opener. My fiancee and I are 48 & 50 and are too old for this!! I have travelled extensively and never again would I recommend a 3 or 3.5 star. For the money difference we spent it on going off site for dinners in Jaco and travel excursions to get us away for the day. Very few people stayed at the resort during the day. The most memorable excursion from the hotel was "Tortuga Island". It included snorkeling, lunch and bus/speedboat to the island of white sand and fabulous swimming. We did not want to go back.... Apparently they rent hammocks on the island for $15 a nite and you can stay if you can arrange transportation back to mainland!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Morgan’s Cove Resort & Casino located Beach Front in the quaint surf town of Jaco, Costa Rica. This bustling seaside village has restaurants, clubs, bars, casinos, and gift shops making it the most popular destination in all of Costa Rica. Adventures within minutes from the Resort include Sport Fishing, Zip Line Tours through rain forest Canopy, ATV tours, Horse Back Riding, Surfing, Golfing, River Rafting and Hiking the most popular Parks of Costa Rica, Carrera and Manuel Antonio National Parks. Relaxing around the two pools or sun tanning on the warm sand of the Pacific Ocean are a favorite past time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Morgan`s Cove Hotel Jaco
- Morgan`s Cove Resort And Casino
- Morgan's Cove Resort & Casino Costa Rica/Jaco