“One the best hostels Ive been to”

Las Camas Budget Hostel
Ranked #34 of 64 Specialty Lodging in Jaco
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I think there are two main reasons why I travel: 1) to see new places and nature in the world and 2) meet and make friends different kinds of people in the world. Las Camas is seriously awesome place to both. Its definitely not a fancy hostel and doesn't try to be.. but thats what makes it such an awesome place to just hang with other laid-back travelers, exchange stories, or go see some cool places around (we went to some awesome waterfalls one day!). The hostel is very open and has several communal spaces where everyone hangs out like family-- people cooking together, hanging out together playing guitar or doing whatever. I planned on staying just for a couple of days but ended up staying for week!! Matt, Ryan and Jesse make you feel right a home and relaxed the minute you walk in-- couldn't have asked for a better few days chilling out and surfing by the beach. Hope to come back soon :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank saratanky
There are newer reviews for Las Camas Budget Hostel

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The new (Co-owner?), Brandon, had no idea we were coming. First ten minutes we were in the house, he was asking us to do drugs with him and talking about the best places to get weed. The couches are foam mats covered with sheets on the floor, the bed we were booked to sleep in was stained and gritty. Pool was dirty and about the size of a hot tub.

I have no idea how this place has such good reviews. I am starting to think people just get high and get on the computer and write good reviews for it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bee42435595
Reviewed May 14, 2013

When I came to Las Camas from San Jose I didn't have a clue how my staying there will end. Edit the owner was really excited to meet an Eastern European guy and I joined her and two other guys in some garden maintenance works. Later that day other people arrived and it felt like we were friends for years. My plan was to stay a day or two but I stayed for 5 days because I really enjoyed the hospitality of Edit and Csaba and of course the company of other people there (with some of them we continued to travel to Montezuma). About the house...it was as clean as it could be with 10-15 young and sometimes drunk people living in it (Edit should be more strict about cleaning). I slept in a AC dorm and it was the greatest sleep I had in Costa Rica. The house dog (Puzzle) was also one of the nicest I've met in CR. I'd stay there on my next trips to Jaco.

Room Tip: If you're not a couple and want privacy, you should choose AC dorm (I was there in April and it...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Peter B
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I think it was a very interesting place. It wasn't the cleanest but clean enough. It was a little cramped because it's just a basic house. But Edit was very sweet and made us feel very welcome. Everyone chipped in $5 one night and she made everyone in the hostel a Hungarian dinner which was delicious. But I stayed here because I read that it would be crazy with lots of people and partying but it was pretty dead and empty when I was there. I didn't really like Jaco in general so that may be skewing my opinion a little bit, but overall I would say not the best. I heard Beds on Bohio is better. I almost stayed there but that one doesn't have a pool, which is another thing that drew me to this hostel. It's also a tad far from the beach. So I would say if you want, try it out but I think there's better hostels.

Room Tip: Definitely the dorm with the A/C is the best option
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed in Las Camas several times during our trip to Costa Rica. We kind of used it as our home base and every time we came back it was like coming home. Edit was so caring and generous! Every Wednesday there is a bondfire at the beach and on Easter we all painted eggs and had a family style potluck. It was a great place to meet travelers from all over the world and share ideas and experiences. There are bunks in the main building and private rooms in a separate house for a little more quiet. If you want a five star resort than stay at one but if you don't need the frills and want to gain friends, experience a family like atmosphere and relax this is the place for you. Edit arranged for our transportation to Montezuma and gave us lots of great advice on places to visit. We would never stay anywhere else in Jaco <3

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sperzart
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Our plan Was to stay there for 3 nights, but after 1 night we had enough. The owner Edit is kind and hospitality. When we arrived she told us that the Whole house were just one Big family, thats cool. But its not cool that she afterwards told us that it was okay to hop drunk in the pool at 4am.
We got a room in the loud house, we didn't have Any key to our room, and everybody were partying outside our room the whole night. The toilets wasn't Working at night, so we had to use the toilet outside. Outside they were smoking pot, and we didn't feel Secure at all.
The kitchen is dirty as well. Everywere you Can find empty beerbottles and pibes to smoke marihuana and hash. But if you like that, you will love this place.
We moved the next Day to jaco inn, it was cheaper, closer to the beach, clean, and you had your own key.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We searched alot in jaco for a nice hostel and this one was by far the best we found in the price range . We were not planing to go there at first but when we made our way around other places we came back and that clearly was the best choice =) Thanks to one of the owners Edit ( if my memory is right) She saw us in the streets whit our backpacks and invited us over.

It was our last day in costa rica but i could imagine staying there mutch longer, The people where amazing and kind. Really felt like home, and the pool was amayzing there was a three with withe flowers just on top of the pool and some flowers felt in the pool making it so romantic when we took a swim at night

the staff is very nice and love the smile =)

Its a place to make somme friends from all over the world , and enjoy your stay like nowhere else.

thanks