For this trip to Costa Rica, we needed a different itinerary. My husband was racing in the staged bike race La Ruta de los Conquistadores that starts in Jaco and ends in Limon, and I followed with a friend/driver in a car. We chose to build our own itinerary rather than stay in the main lodging (Best Westerns etc.) In Jaco, we liked to reviews for El Paso de las Lapas. This 10 room boutique hotel is on a quiet, rural dirt road only five minutes outside of Jaco. We had a car, which made it very convenient as well, although from reading other reviews, it sounds like the hotel management will pay for taxi rides to town, which is a huge plus. We stayed here 2 nights before the start of the race. It was the perfect choice. The setting was very tranquil. We were on the 2nd floor in the far corner, so we had a lovely view of fields to our right, and in front we overlooked a small river (muddy now after torrential rains in the preceding weeks) and lovely hillside. The pool was pristine and relaxing. The room was spacious, with two queen beds and a day bed. In many ways it was a basic hotel room, but nicely decorated and comfortable. A nice touch was a basket of snacks with a welcome note. A sliding door opened onto a lovely balcony with a patio chair and tables and a full kitchen with a stocked mini-bar. Breakfast was served at the covered, outdoor dining area by the pool, and included eggs, gallo pinto (rice and beans), fruits, cereal and toast, orange juice and coffee – and I may be forgetting something. A few downsides to mention – no other meals are served, so you will need to go into Jaco or elsewhere for other meals (which was fine, as we had a car and it was so close). The beds were rather hard, as other reviewers have mentioned. Also, while we were there the hot water didn’t seem to be working. I hate to even mention it, since we also never bothered to ask the management about it – it just wasn’t a big deal for us. There is wi-fi, but it does not work in the rooms. I could access it from the balcony on occasion, and from the dining and pool area. I would definitely go back to El Paso de las Lapas, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a tranquil location along a busy coastline.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Strategically located in the heart of Costa Rican Central Pacific, surrounded by an spectacular view between pristine tropical jungle mountains, a wide variety of birds and other local fauna specimens, you will find Hotel Pumilio, a tranquil and peaceful heaven, yet only 3 minutes away from famous Jacó and Herradura beaches, the most developed tourist hotspot in the country. Ideal for family, couples or friends vacation stays, you will enjoy the wide variety of ecological, adventure, adrenaline & sports tours that the area offers for every age and preference. Closely surrounded by the most famous national parks and reserves, you will also find a wide variety of restaurants, supermarkets and stores, the best marina in Central America, beautiful beaches, islands and a spectacular colorful ocean among a variety of activities that makes us unique. You will enjoy the 10 comfortably decorated large luxury suites, impeccably cleaned and fully equipped outdoor kitchen for your convenience. We include a complete breakfast without schedule, free Wi-Fi, AC, a balcony or a terrace to admire and enjoy the view with your loved ones. Our palm leave's thatched roof Spa surrounded by exuberant vegetation, will take you to a relaxation state so you will enjoy to the maximum the experience of being in harmony with nature. Leap into happiness in Hotel Pumilio, the best personalized service. We know how to find the happy in you and every one of our esteemed guests, so everyone can return home with unforgettable memories of the visit to our beloved Costa Rica. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Pumilio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Paso De Las Lapas Hotel Jaco
- Hotel Pumilio Costa Rica/Jaco