For this trip to Costa Rica, we needed a different itinerary. My husband was racing in the staged bike race La Ruta de los Conquistadores that starts in Jaco and ends in Limon, and I followed with a friend/driver in a car. We chose to build our own itinerary rather than stay in the main lodging (Best Westerns etc.) In Jaco, we liked to reviews for El Paso de las Lapas. This 10 room boutique hotel is on a quiet, rural dirt road only five minutes outside of Jaco. We had a car, which made it very convenient as well, although from reading other reviews, it sounds like the hotel management will pay for taxi rides to town, which is a huge plus. We stayed here 2 nights before the start of the race. It was the perfect choice. The setting was very tranquil. We were on the 2nd floor in the far corner, so we had a lovely view of fields to our right, and in front we overlooked a small river (muddy now after torrential rains in the preceding weeks) and lovely hillside. The pool was pristine and relaxing. The room was spacious, with two queen beds and a day bed. In many ways it was a basic hotel room, but nicely decorated and comfortable. A nice touch was a basket of snacks with a welcome note. A sliding door opened onto a lovely balcony with a patio chair and tables and a full kitchen with a stocked mini-bar. Breakfast was served at the covered, outdoor dining area by the pool, and included eggs, gallo pinto (rice and beans), fruits, cereal and toast, orange juice and coffee – and I may be forgetting something. A few downsides to mention – no other meals are served, so you will need to go into Jaco or elsewhere for other meals (which was fine, as we had a car and it was so close). The beds were rather hard, as other reviewers have mentioned. Also, while we were there the hot water didn’t seem to be working. I hate to even mention it, since we also never bothered to ask the management about it – it just wasn’t a big deal for us. There is wi-fi, but it does not work in the rooms. I could access it from the balcony on occasion, and from the dining and pool area. I would definitely go back to El Paso de las Lapas, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a tranquil location along a busy coastline.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pumilio is strategically located to explore Costa Rica like being pamper at home surrounded by nature, see the toucans, macaws and lots of birds flying naturally and the lizards walking around. Close enough to lots of activities, restaurants and things Jaco or Herradura Beaches, the most developed tourist hotspot in the country, wide variety of ecological, adventure, adrenaline & sports tours, offers for every age and preference. Closely surrounded by the most famous national parks and reserves, you will also find a wide variety of restaurants, supermarkets, stores, beautiful beaches, islands and a spectacular colorful ocean among a variety of activities that makes us unique. Located on the side of the mountain at sea level Our guests are always more than welcome in our Boutique hotel. We work hard to give the importance that our guests deserve, especially knowing that they are sharing with us their vacation time. The rooms were planned to be spacious and bright the 10 suites with a kitchen outside so our guests can keep contact with nature and avoid the food smell inside the room. We ended up remodeling the entire hotel last year! Breakfast is included, we decided not to have schedule, guests that are going to tours frequently needs it before 7 a.m. and other want to sleep until late, we change daily because people love long stays. We added “tamales” typical dish for Christmas in Costa Rica, now we serve them at breakfast every day so our guest can try them. At Pumilio every day is a Holiday! We love celebrating with our guests. Please let us know in advance if you are celebrating your birthday, honeymoon or anniversary, we'll give you a pleasant surprise! According with our guests plans, likes and preferences we feel happy making recommendations about the best seller’s tours, restaurants and things to do in the area, it´s even better when our guests trust us, so we have control of the service and schedules of the activities, a better experience exploring Costa Rica and we'll take care of our guest’s budget. We chose the best restaurants in the area and have their menus and bring what our guest chooses and serve it where they prefer, dining room, terrace, balcony suite or even at the pool deck. WIFI and parking also included. Leap into happiness in Hotel Pumilio, the best personalized service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Pumilio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Paso De Las Lapas Hotel Jaco
- Hotel Pumilio Costa Rica/Jaco