“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Jaco
New York City, New York
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

My fiancee and I spent 5 days at Hotel Pumilio and couldn't have been more happy with our stay. The staff is incredibly friendly and always ready to help – whether its researching options for activities or coordinating taxis into town – and strike a perfect balance between being available yet not overbearing. The hotel itself is secluded but close to town providing an ideal opportunity for relaxation a short distance from the commotion of downtown Jaco. And the amenities are awesome, from the full kitchens in each room to the infinity pool and outdoor dining pavilion. Would definitely go back again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

LapaVIP, Propietario at Hotel Pumilio, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Hello! A very special couple we will always remember , nice to hear you are planning to come back, we miss you enjoying the meaning of adventure once you leaped into Pumilio there is no to-do list to distract you, no finish line just out of reach to put blinders on you, no people to please, no image to live up to, no race around the clock. We love to be part of our guest plans and the best recognition of our work is to see happy faces and read this kindly comments. If you ever forget, or lose your happy all you have to do is come back to Pumilio. We know how to find the happy in you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 20, 2014

My wife and I couldn't have been happier staying at Pumilio.
The rooms were very well appointed - the patio comfortable and inviting.
The nearby jungle lush and kept at bay by very nice landscaping.
The pool was well designed and inviting - I loved to stand under the mini-water fall at the deep end to let the falling water buffet my head and shoulders to ease the days burdens.
The ride to nearby Jaco was perhaps 5 minutes -- Quepos and Manuel Antonio were 45 mins to an hour away, and there were three very nice Playas a short drive away -- Herradura, Jaco, and Hermosa. There was a spa in a separate building that seemed like it would have been a nice treat as well -- though we did not avail ourselves of that, and there was no fitness center (which didn't burden us either). The staff was friendly and helpful and unobtrusive -- there when you needed them.

Room Tip: second floor balcony - we stayed in #25 - was very nice. Less traffic close to the pool that may be...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

LapaVIP, Propietario at Hotel Pumilio, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Hello! Nice to hear you leaped into happiness at Pumilio, enjoying the jungle lush and landscaping in a confortable and spacious room and 5 minutes away from downtown and beaches.Our pool cascade is very relaxing and a good treatment to your head and shoulders and our spa is the perfect complement to a perfect relax. Thanks for you comments that are very important for us, is the way to keep improving our personalized service every day. From Hotel Pumilio there are a lot of places to visit lots of them nearby and some 45 to 1 hour nice ride, but you come back to peace, relax and confort at the end of the day and some will be waiting for you. If you ever forget, or lose your happy all you have to do is come back to Pumilio. We know know how to find the happy in you. It will be a pleasure to have this special couple back.
Reviewed May 15, 2014

My family of 5 booked a reservation with the Pumilio hotel for May 7th - 10th. The room was said to accomodate our party. We arrived approximately 12 midnight and was met by a gentlemen that escorted us to our room. What was most distrubing was he carried a concealed weapon on his hip and the grounds were dark. Once we arrived to our room, it was clean but there were three blue towels and no wash cloths. The patio door was opened and closed but it didn't lock. We called for the security guy and expressed our concerns with the room, he then contacted Miltlon and he came to address our concerns. Milton arrived and refused to provide additional towels and wash cloths to accomodate 5 adutls. We informed him that our room patio door did not lock and that we felt unsafe sleeping there. Milton also carried a concealed weapon on him! He stated that he would give us a room next door but for a fee, we weren't looking for additional space, but a room that was safe for 5 women traveling. Milton said that if we weren't satisifed that we should leave and that he would agree to us getting refunded through our online travel company. We decided that based on the accomodations, patio door not locking and the concealed weapons, we would leave and find another hotel in the area. However, once we contacted our travel company to request a refund, they contacted Laura and she declined to give us a refund. My party ended up losing our money to Pumilio hotel and paying for another 3 nights at a near by hotel. We were asking for at least 50% refund to help us defray the cost of another hotel, but Laura was not willing to accomodate my party in the least way. The paramter of this hotel is very secluded and apparantly unsafe based on the security man and Milton carrying concealed weapons on them. It would have been nice for Laura to make her guest aware of this important detail. This major inconvenience caused out of pocket expenses that weren't planned for and made our entrance into Costa Rica very stressful. I think the most the owner could have done was accomodate us for our concerns for a lack of safety but apparently that is not her concern and/or interest. If you are traveling party, you may want to reconsider staying at the Pumilio and look for a hotel that will accomodate your party of 5.

Room Tip: Traveling with 5 or more, the rooms will not be adequate for the party.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Corey L
LapaVIP, Propietario at Hotel Pumilio, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Our guest opinions are very important for us, except when someone in advance threats us, trying to skip the hotel policies and wants to stay for free with us.

Since you entered, you threatened us with false accusations, excuses and lies. You were also ,very rude while threatening our staff screaming and lying, with the unique purpose of achieving an extra suite for free, you threatened and execute your intent to make damage to our good name at TripAdvisor 's.

We are very proud to have 99 % excellent reviews, especially for our personalize service, cleanliness, staff, location and beautiful hotel. I invite you to read the comments in the same place where you made yours, please.

The reality is that you booked 1 suite for 4 people, you came with 5, demanding 2 suites when you only paid for 1 and you didn’t either wanted to pay for the additional person. Our staff, with the kindness that has grated us with 6 consecutive years the certificate of excellence and the Winner Award 2012 as you saw in our front desk, offered a good rate for the second room (if you wanted 2) and even as a nice consideration for yourselves offered you a free night on that room, because you arrived very late. You then called Orbitz saying that there were no towels in the room, which was absolutely false, that the guard threatened you with a gun, which again is completely false. The security official does not threaten customers, he is there to take good care of the facilities and makes sure everyone sleeps safe. We have hired a very serious security company that does the same for many hotels in the area. You then said that you were in danger of death, absolutely ridiculous. We have had our home there for nearly 16 years now and we have never had a single incident or even theft. If there was someone with bad health, we are 3 minutes away of the best Clinic in the area. You said that the room was dirty, absolutely false, we have been complimented many times by the cleanliness of the hotel, its rooms and our facilities by hundreds of clients.

You requested a refund without any true justification. We have been very flexible on that matter, but when it comes to calumnious and proven lies, we do not refund any money. You were only for 3 hours in the hotel, yelling and screaming, annoying customers and staff, without any consideration with the other guests that were sleeping at those late hours.
When our guests speak the truth we are very flexible with refunds, so that they can enjoy their holidays as they had dreamed; examples as delays in travel, health and other problems that are acceptable and understandable we refund fully, with all due respect for our client. But when it comes to screaming lies and threats, we are absolutely opposed to refund. We cannot accept a refund when what is said is not true and we do not return any money to unscrupulous guests. Anyone who will read the hundreds of reviews we have will see that what you said is false.

I love all my guest more than you can imagine, they come from all over the world and usually leave us with a beautiful opinion of themselves and their comments on our premises, staff and good personalized services has granted us a special 1st place in the area, but in your case you just wanted your money back, without giving us any acceptable reason.

We still don't know the real reason you did not wanted to stay with us and you didn`t have the courtesy of waiting for me to meet me next morning, as I offer through our staff and the Orbitz Clerk that was talking to me at my cell phone, while I was at my home in San José at 2:00 a.m. I was there at 7:00 a.m. next morning to meet you but you weren’t, you decided to leave at 2:00 a.m. After the rude episode you sponsor that night, I tried to speak to you on the phone like civilized people, but it was again impossible to talk because you never listened, every time I start talking to you, you start yelling and insulting myself, you never listened. I’m not used to have a conversation with someone yelling to me, and fortunately never before in my life, have had to deal with such bad manners. No one can have an intelligent, civilized and productive conversation on the phone with someone screaming and insulting in the other end, so the worst part of all is that we still don’t know the real reason behind your actions.
Reviewed May 15, 2014

My sister and I took my mother on a Mother’s day vacation, and looking at the internet, we chose Pumilio Hotel; however, unbeknownst to us, they have a security that is arm with a gun. (No wear on their Website does it mention that the security is arm with a gun).The facilities were terrible, the towels had bleached marks, very hard, the bathroom smelled like outdoors, and the room sliding door did not lock. We were very disappointed, and did not feel safe, with traveling with all women. The security contacted Milton, and we explained the case, and he said since we were not satisfied that he would refund us; however, we would have to call Orbit. We contacted Orbit, we went to give Milton the phone, and he was gone. We left the facilities, it was about 1:00 a.m., and we had to find a different hotel, at our own expense.
We spoke with Laura the owner, and explained our case, she was very rude, she lied and said we were traveling with a man, and it shows on her camera, I guess she can’t recognize her own security; he was the only male, beside Milton. NOT ONLY DID SHE LIE, SO DID MILTON. We were asking for a partial refund, Laura was ignorant; she said she was not refunding nothing. I GUESS SHE THINKS AMERICANS ARE STUPID, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO THIS HOTEL, AND THE SO CALLED SNACK WAS CHEESY. THE ROOM WAS NASTY. DON’T STAY AT PUMILIO. BAD BAD BAD OVER ALL.OWNER IS NASTY AND RUDE

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Joyce B
LapaVIP, Propietario at Hotel Pumilio, responded to this review, May 28, 2014

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We contacted the hotel about a week before we arrived to ask about the tours and excursions that we wanted to do while we were in Costa Rica. Laura, the owner, and Milton in the front desk responded by email immediately with suggestions and did a lot of research to find different tour operators and give us comparisons and times that the tours were being offered as we were there for only 3 days and wanted to maximize our time. Their suggestions were great and we were very happy with the tours they arranged for us. As for the hotel itself, the rooms were very clean, large and comfortable with terraces that overlooked the pool area and rainforest outside. There are only 10 rooms, so breakfast and the pool never felt crowded. Pumilio also offered delivery from a lot of the Jaco restaurants and set up our table for dinner on our terrace. We also used their spa service where we got massages outside in a beautiful room from where you could see the forest and hear its sounds. The hotel is about a 5 minute drive from the center of Jaco, away from the noise and commotion but close enough to easily visit either with your own car or by taxi (which the hotel will pay for one round trip by taxi into the town per day). We would definitely recommend this hotel to a family or couple looking for great service and comfort at what we thought were pretty good rates for the level of service and comparing to other hotels in the same quality level in the area. Everyone in the hotel went out of their way to satisfy us and always with a smile!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
LapaVIP, Propietario at Hotel Pumilio, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hi! Thanks a lot for your nice comments a very special couple we enjoyed having with us since the beginning as a told you it is very important for us to be part of your plans, that way we know about the purpose of your trip and can start working ahead to find your tours and activities sometimes is not easy to arrange with some tour operators and in advance is even better to be able to help with our guest budget, so they can do more things during the visit. Our speciality is SERVICE comfort and welcome people to leap into happiness, with the taxi service we pay, the breakfast, the spacious and clean rooms, pool, breakfast and our spa surrounded by nature as you experience is amazing and unique, it’s the moments of reflection that we can really see our true destination is here, the tension of being so happy has left your body and you start living and breathing peace. Hope to have you back someday and you already know how to contact direct to us to the ones you recommend, if you ever forget, or lose your happy all you have to do is come back to Pumilio. We know how to find the happy in you. Lots of hugs for both of you from all the staff especially me. Laura
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We and my wife spent our two week honeymoon at Hotel Pumilio and had an absolutely marvellous time! Everything felt perfect... the nature all around is truly beautiful, the staff is extremely courteous and helpful, it is truly peaceful and relaxing and at the same time there are plenty of exciting activities available whenever you feel like exploring across the country. What makes this place unique is the personalized approach the staff takes to each person's stay here.

a huge thank you to Laura, Milton and the entire staff for making this a truly memorable trip to Costa Rica :)! We will definitely be back during rainy season!

Paul & Kim

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

LapaVIP, Propietario at Hotel Pumilio, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hi nice to hear from the perfect honeymooner's! It was so nice to have you leaping into happiness every day with us and specially me will always remember your anniversary for sure. Can wait to have you back on the raining season here is always a lot of things to do, season fruits to try, relax and have fun. Milton and me miss you when we are serving the gastronomic adventures meals, we remember the special way you enjoyed trying different places and food and talking with us. Thanks for your comments and specially for choosing us for this special occasion.
If you ever forget, or lose your happy all you have to do is come back to Pumilio. We know how to find the happy in you. A big hug from all of us and keep smiling!
Bielefeld, Germany
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stay there for 14 days and feel like home. Very exciting place and everything is possible if you have any wish at the staff. Milton the manager at the desk was a very friendly and nice guy.
If you want to take a taxi to Jaco or beach the hotel will pay for you once a day the trip to town and back.

Room Tip: Room Number 15
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

LapaVIP, Propietario at Hotel Pumilio, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hello! Nice to hear from you a very special couple that really enjoy our hotel in a long stay and made good friends, we always remember you, smiling and having a good time. The cicadas season is already gone, next year when they start making noise we will remember you. Thanks a lot for you comments, your opinion counts and it is very important for us. Our personalized shuttle ¨taxis¨works perfect to go downtown but stay surround by nature just a few minutes away. If you ever forget, or lose your happy all you have to do is come back to Pumilio. We know how to find the happy in you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Villa Caletas
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Hotel Mar de Luz
Hotel Mar de Luz
#7 of 42 in Jaco

Been to Hotel Pumilio? Share your experiences!